Ontario law would deny licences to dropouts

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Conservative education critic Frank Klees might suggest a solution to the drop-out problem.

Some of this is summaries from internet sites.
About 45,000 Ontario high school students each year leave before they've earned a diploma.

What is certain is that not having a high school diploma has a very real effect on earning power and rates of employment.

Before lawmakers vote even more money to prevent dropouts they should investigate what works and what does not work.

Studies indicate that students who are passed on to the next grade level without the requisite basic skills are the most likely to drop out. Back to basics?

Many educators dilute the curriculum in the hopes of keeping students in the classroom. This compounds the problem.
Teachers do not select challenging academic material for any of the students; teachers often do not grade homework assignments for accuracy, but gave credit for simply turning something in; and students with truancy problems were able to "buy back" unexcused absences and clear their records. Disipline?

Much detailed study should be made on the drop-out issue rather than knee-jerk reactions, and spending money without obtaining the desired effect. Tying atendance to a drivers licence is not good policy.

Durgan.

http://piepshar.notlong.com

Extracts:
Conservative education critic Frank Klees called the plan a "hare-brained idea" that "is so counter-productive, will never work, will never be enforceable, is absolutely impractical." Your solution Mr. Klees?

New Democrat education critic Rosario Marchese said the government has not provided any additional money to pay for the extra programs aimed at potential dropouts. "A program that has no money attached to it cannot succeed," he said.

New Brunswick is the only other province in Canada that has legislation keeping students in school until age 18, but it doesn't tie that to a student's ability to get a driver's licence.

Durgan.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
High school dropout rate down from the 1990s

A teaser:

There has been a huge drop in the number of high school dropouts since the early 1990s, particularly in the Atlantic provinces, according to new data released Friday by Statistics Canada.

In 1990-91, 16.7 per cent of young people between the ages of 20 and 24 were either not attending school, nor had a high school diploma. By 2004-05, that number had dropped to 9.8 per cent.

The data was calculated using a Labour Force Survey (LFS), which compares rates for men and women, and for metropolitan and rural areas.

It found that the dropout rate for students living in rural areas or small towns remains higher than in urban centres, especially in Quebec, Manitoba and Alberta. [/end of teaser]

I guess that is a good sign. I wonder why Ontario has such a problem? Is Ontario's problem real or percieved?

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
I do not think it will work either. I think they should put more resources in to the way the cirriculum is tought rather than remove a licence. You have to engage teenagers that is what keeps them in school not driving!. However in our town the driving course is offered in one of the high schools here at a cost of 695.00 so although it is offered you have to pay for it and it is only offered after school. There are no school programs here for learning to drive. The teachers need the resources and the support if we are going to curb the dropout rate. It is funny though one of the agruments of the Harris government reform was to keep kids in school and a large number of parents in Ontario agreed with that. So I guess we are now reaping what we have sewn.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Conservative education critic Frank Klees called the plan a "hare-brained idea" that "is so counter-productive, will never work, will never be enforceable, is absolutely impractical." Your solution Mr. Klees? "

Ditch the hair brained Liberals?

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Ontario law would deny licences to dropouts

MMMike said:
Great, now we'll have high school dropouts with no drivers liscences - even more dependant. This is a terrible idea, just what I've come to expect from the Liberals: legislate EVERYTHING!! They made a good move with the co-op terms and more hands on learning. That will be a bonus for those not 'university bound'. Still, there will be dropouts, and you can't force someone to learn.

True... So there must be another solution.

Lauraetco

Dec 24, 2005
I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea.

What do the dropouts do who can't get jobs because they don't have transportation? I guess they'll have to design a special welfare for them.

This isn't going to work!

On the topic of providing driver's training in school, I think that's a great idea. Let's not forget, however, there are plenty of people who have had their licenses for years who have forotten how to drive!

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Lauraetco said:

What do the dropouts do who can't get jobs because they don't have transportation? I guess they'll have to design a special welfare for them.

On the topic of providing driver's training in school, I think that's a great idea. Let's not forget, however, there are plenty of people who have had their licenses for years who have forotten how to drive!

Well yes it's a silly idea but at least the Ontario Liberals first regonize the problem and second have tried to solve it. I don't think the way they are solving will help but it is a complicated issue. So I can't give too much fault to the Ontario Liberals.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Finder said:
Lauraetco said:

Well yes it's a silly idea but at least the Ontario Liberals first regonize the problem and second have tried to solve it. I don't think the way they are solving will help but it is a complicated issue. So I can't give too much fault to the Ontario Liberals.

It is not complicated at all.

As a high school drop out (I finally got a diploma - when I was 21) and an ex-teacher, I have some understanding of the issues involved.

Education is not a right, it is a priviledge.

You can not shove education down peoples' throats......they must thirst for it. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Resentful semi-adult people who do not want to be in school are a disruptive influence, a waste of time, and a distraction for both other students and the teachers.

So, let them go. Hell, boot them out. The ones that are worth the trouble will learn after a few shifts at McDonald's, and come back more or less contrite.

The solutions offered by the McGuinty government are so absolutely lefty in nature...............useless, counter-productive, feel good, and based on a totally false premise.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
quote] by Colpy

It is not complicated at all.

As a high school drop out (I finally got a diploma - when I was 21) and an ex-teacher, I have some understanding of the issues involved.

Education is not a right, it is a priviledge.

You can not shove education down peoples' throats......they must thirst for it. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Resentful semi-adult people who do not want to be in school are a disruptive influence, a waste of time, and a distraction for both other students and the teachers.

So, let them go. Hell, boot them out. The ones that are worth the trouble will learn after a few shifts at McDonald's, and come back more or less contrite.

The solutions offered by the McGuinty government are so absolutely lefty in nature...............useless, counter-productive, feel good, and based on a totally false premise
.[/quote]
Great post. Now and then there are some pithy, pointed, intelligent posts. This is one. Well done. Take the gloves off and face reality. There is too much politically correct crap that never describes the obvious. Well done. Colpy.

Durgan.