Ontario eyes COVID curfew

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
26,571
634
113
Ontario eyes COVID curfew
The province administered 10,350 vaccine doses Tuesday and 60,380 so far in all.
Antonella Artuso
Jan 07, 2021 • Last Updated 1 day ago • 1 minute read
Ontario Premier Doug Ford leaves after addressing the media where they store the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at the Trillium Health Partners Hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic in Mississauga, Ont., on Wednesday, December 30, 2020. Photo by Nathan Denette /THE CANADIAN PRESS
Premier Doug Ford left a possible public curfew on the table Wednesday as the province passed the 200,000 mark in COVID-19 cases.
“We’re working with our chief medical officer on that exact item,” Ford said when asked about imposing further measures including imposing a curfew. “We’re doing everything we can. We’re throwing everything at it that we can.”
Ford went on to say getting COVID-19 vaccines into Ontarians’ arms is what’s really needed right now.
The province administered 10,350 vaccine doses Tuesday and 60,380 so far in all.
As both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two doses, just 860 people are considered inoculated against COVID-19.
Ontario reported 3,266 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, bringing the total number of cases since mid-January to 200,626.
Toronto confirmed 805 more cases, Peel Region 523, York Region 349 and Durham Region 145.
Waterloo saw a daily jump in new cases to 206, while Niagara Region reported 192 more cases.
Another 37 deaths were attributed to the virus.
There were 1,463 COVID-19 patients in hospital, 361 in intensive care and 246 on ventilators.
Ontario Hospital Association president and CEO Anthony Dale warned this week that many hospitals are already having to shift patients to other facilities or cancel procedures, and ICU numbers could double by the end of the month.
The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario called on public health units across the province to consider delaying next week’s planned return to in-school learning for elementary students.
Dr. Ronald Cohn, president and CEO of SickKids, told the Sun‘s Anthony Furey this week that the hospital still supports schools remaining open with a “very robust test, tracing, isolating and support strategy in place.”
aartuso@postmedia.com