on this day in 1937

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
One more childhood staple that nobody eats anymore.

Cheese Whiz is another. And fish sticks.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My mom used to buy Hereford Brand Corned Beef in a can. Just one step above Spam.
I happen to have a can of that on hand Cliffy. I don't eat it often but when I do I know that I am eating Argentian beef one of the best sources of beef in the world. The only additive that I am not happy with is sodium nitrate which is why I limit the amount I eat. Other than that all ingredients are natural. Handy thing to have on hand these days as meat prices rise. Spam on the other hand is pure garbage.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I happen to have a can of that on hand Cliffy. I don't eat it often but when I do I know that I am eating Argentian beef one of the best sources of beef in the world. The only additive that I am not happy with is sodium nitrate which is why I limit the amount I eat. Other than that all ingredients are natural. Handy thing to have on hand these days as meat prices rise. Spam on the other hand is pure garbage.
Sodium nitrate is natural and is harmless in such low levels. It's the go to meat tenderizer these days.

Rather that than MSG.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sodium nitrate is natural and is harmless in such low levels. It's the go to meat tenderizer these days.

Rather that than MSG.

Nitrates make my joints swell, pete so I try to avoid them. I know it is a natural substance and much better than MSG which I have eliminated from my diet completely for the same reason.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Spam - as in Spam emails - derives from the Monty Python sketch and not the meat itself.