On duty Halifax police officer charged with running a red light

jwv

Nominee Member
May 3, 2007
Ontario
HALIFAX (CP) - A police officer involved in a car crash at a Halifax intersection has been charged with failing to stop for a red light.
The 24-year-old constable was responding to a call on April 22nd when her patrol car entered an intersection and slammed into another car, before hitting two others. At the time, the patrol car's emergency lights and siren were on (as it travelled north on Robie Street in Halifax).
Four people, including the officer, were injured in the crash.
Halifax Regional Police issued a statement today saying the officer is facing a charge under the Motor Vehicle Act.
The constable's name was not released.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Man, am I surprized to see this!

The constable is a very good friend of mine. She worked for my armoured car company, and was my partner for a year.......part of which time she lived at my house.

She was responding to a Code One (officer needs assistance) because another lone officer had three males in a brawl that were being extremely unco-operative.

She had her lights on, and was leaning on the air horn..........yes, they are supposed to stop at a red, check for on-coming, and then proceed. She did not, as she thought she had a clear view.....she was in the wrong.

Her punishment will be a ticket for running a red light. For the last time, she tells me. Luckily, no one was killed, or seriously hurt.

She was simply doing the job as best she could........and phucked up. Life's a learning experience.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
People make mistakes, I don't expect perfection from anyone. I can understand how that happened. I think a ticket seems reasonable for all parties involved, I just hope the other officer got help in time...

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I see this as an unfortunate deal...something that will happen...it's not a prefered thing to happen, but things like this will happen, and I don't the think the officer did anything really wrong...just a small slip up can sometimes cause unwanted results.

BUT...what I dislike and do not approve of and feel should be stopped are car chases. To me, those are deaths waiting to happen.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I see this as an unfortunate deal...something that will happen...it's not a prefered thing to happen, but things like this will happen, and I don't the think the officer did anything really wrong...just a small slip up can sometimes cause unwanted results.

BUT...what I dislike and do not approve of and feel should be stopped are car chases. To me, those are deaths waiting to happen.

I understand there are problems with car chases.......but my problem with stopping them is the criminals know.......and stepping on the gas becomes an automatic get-away-free action, no matter what you've done.

Life is full of risks.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Man, am I surprized to see this!

The constable is a very good friend of mine. She worked for my armoured car company, and was my partner for a year.......part of which time she lived at my house.

She was responding to a Code One (officer needs assistance) because another lone officer had three males in a brawl that were being extremely unco-operative.

She had her lights on, and was leaning on the air horn..........yes, they are supposed to stop at a red, check for on-coming, and then proceed. She did not, as she thought she had a clear view.....she was in the wrong.

Her punishment will be a ticket for running a red light. For the last time, she tells me. Luckily, no one was killed, or seriously hurt.

She was simply doing the job as best she could........and phucked up. Life's a learning experience.

Great post Colpy

Your special insight into this particular topic is much appreciated. It is easy to get on the backs of the police when something like this happens but I know for a fact that I couldn't do their job.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I understand there are problems with car chases.......but my problem with stopping them is the criminals know.......and stepping on the gas becomes an automatic get-away-free action, no matter what you've done.

Life is full of risks.
Well...if it's car chase, the criminals are obviously stepping on the gas to get away as it is...and too often they don't end until their vehicle hits something that will stop them. I have heard of new gps technology, where a device can be shot at the car and the car can be tracked. That seems great to me. An end to the high speed chase would be most welcome. I don't think it is worth the risk. Most car chases appear to be related to drugs or to robberies...not alot of mass murderers seem to end up in car chases. Lives aren't worth whatever was stolen, or is consumed.