Omnibus Russia Ukraine crisis

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
During the last Cold War, with the Americans concerned about ICBMs from Russia…. How would they have reached America? What flight path?

Aside from submarines and such… thinking of the Dew Line…
Bombers and ICBMs'd be over the Pole.

So would medium-range missiles targetting Germany and France.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
So , last I looked we always have been . I don’t have any I’ll will toward Ukraine , but I don’t think propping up their corruption is our responsibility. By the same token I believe our participation is well past its best before date .
A lot cheaper than sending troops in directly against Russia, there are 2 things the 1994 agreement that the UK signed including the commonwealth and the side deal with Ukraine over the article 5 thingies that Ukraine accepted the blame, to keep NATO out of direct conflict.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
A lot cheaper than sending troops in directly against Russia, there are 2 things the 1994 agreement that the UK signed including the commonwealth and the side deal with Ukraine over the article 5 thingies that Ukraine accepted the blame, to keep NATO out of direct conflict.
Good why should we involve ourselves and our tax dollars when we are broke ?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
UN-backed inquiry accuses Russia of war crimes in Ukraine
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Lori Hinnant And Jamey Keaten
Published Mar 16, 2023 • 1 minute read

GENEVA — Russian attacks against civilians in Ukraine, including systematic torture and killing in occupied regions, amount to war crimes and possibly crimes against humanity, according to a report from a U.N.-backed inquiry released Thursday.

The sweeping human rights report, released a year to the day after a Russian airstrike on a theatre in Mariupol killed hundreds sheltering inside, marked a highly unusual condemnation of a member of the U.N. Security Council.

Among potential crimes against humanity, the report cited repeated attacks targeting Ukrainian infrastructure since the fall that left hundreds of thousands without heat and electricity during the coldest months, as well as the “systematic and widespread” use of torture across multiple regions under Russian occupation.

A commission of inquiry is the most powerful tool used by the U.N.-backed Human Rights Council to scrutinize abuses and violations around the world. The investigation released Thursday was set up during an urgent debate shortly after Russia’s invasion last year.

The commission’s three members are independent human rights experts, and its staff gets support and funding from the council and the U.N. human rights office.

The report’s authors noted a “small number” of apparent violations by Ukrainian forces, including one they said was under criminal investigation by Ukrainian authorities, but reserved the vast majority of their report for allegations against Russia.

Russia did not respond to the inquiry’s appeals for information.

Most of the abuses highlighted by the investigation were already well known, but the findings come with the imprimatur of the international community: The experts work under a mandate overwhelmingly created last year by the Human Rights Council, which brings together the governments of 47 U.N. member countries.

Ultimately, the report may add to efforts to boost accountability for crimes committed in the war – whether by the International Criminal Court or by some individual countries that have taken on the right to apply “universal jurisdiction” to prosecute atrocities, wherever they may take place.

— Hinnant reported from Paris.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Putin is buggered. The Kleptocracy is falling apart. Claims of "super weapons" are almost undeniably false. His nuclear sabre-rattling is just noise. It's little more than an attempt at causing fear in Western populations in the hopes that they will pressure their govts to NOT support the Ukraine militarily. Only a completely nihilistic idiot could think you can win a nuclear war.

Because of the Kleptocracy Putin was assured everything was in "go condition" if it needed to be, Yet most battalions were lucky to be at 75% of their strength.
The limited smart munitions they had for their Air Force were used up pretty quickly. The big problem was that was their big stockpile to defend against what they perceived as potential Western aggression into Russia.
And because of the Kleptocracy and the sanctions, Russia isn't capable of replacing its material losses in any kind of timely or strategically useful manner. It can't even properly supply new units being drafted into the meat-grinder. The only friend, besides maybe China, that Russia has right now, Turkiy, has been sending military aid to Ukraine.
And that's the other kick in the balls for Putin. While he's unable to re-arm and resupply his forces in any purposeful way, Ukraine has a flow of arms and munitions going to it that Russia can't do a goddam thing about.

Russia's military is also a joke. Corrupt, incompetent commanders. A literal "Baltic army". What I mean is there's Russia's "professional" army and then there's a bunch of private armies, like Wagner for instance. The problem with those mercenary forces is they're constantly trying to outdo each other and so they end up getting themselves into tactically stupid situations.

Their propaganda units also need to get their heads together. First we hear about their hypersonic missiles and that those kinds of weapons can't be shot down. Then they claim one of their air-defence systems is capable of shooting down hypersonic missiles.

The Russian military of today is a lot like communism. Looks great on paper but man does it ever shit the bed when put into practice. Even got to watch footage of a Russian MLRS blowing itself up. One of the missiles it launched did a complete 180 and struck the launcher. It was pretty funny.

Ol' Bedpan has painted himself into a corner. I don't think he can win in Ukraine. But he's also bullshitted the Russian people so badly about the war that he can't call it quits now. If he bails, he'll probably end up dead. Even a limited tactical nuclear strike is not a viable option for him. He already knows that any such act will invite a Western response.
At this point I think the best he can hope for is that he dies peacefully in his sleep. He ain't been looking good lately so...

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

Art by Yurii Klapoukh

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If Ukraine is winning as I have heard since it started why are they still fighting ?
The "Russian World" hasnt fully collapsed yet. It has started...

Kazakhstan took away Russia's access to space.

Reactions: Twin_Moose