Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Shock, anger after Ukrainian refugee, 7, killed by car in Montreal
The girl was one of three siblings who came to Montreal with their mother two months ago after fleeing the war in Ukraine.

Author of the article:Jesse Feith • Montreal Gazette
Published Dec 14, 2022 • 5 minute read

A community is in shock and residents are pleading for more safety measures after a seven-year-old girl was killed in a hit and run in Montreal’s Ville-Marie borough.

Maria Legenkovska, 7, was on her way to school early Tuesday when she was hit by a car in a school zone. She was one of three Ukrainian siblings who came to Montreal with their mother in recent months to flee the war.

“It’s a terrible tragedy and horrible news for the mother,” Michael Shwec, president of the Quebec branch of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, said on Wednesday.

Shwec said that while the mother and siblings came to Montreal, the children’s father is still in Ukraine fighting in the war. A local parish is already supporting the family and making funeral arrangements, he added.

“The mother has mentioned she wants the child to be buried here in Montreal,” Shwec said. “Because they’re making their life here.”

According to Montreal police, the girl was struck around 8 a.m. Tuesday while walking near the intersection of Parthenais and De Rouen Sts. The driver left the scene but later turned himself in.

Juan Manuel Becerra Garcia, 45, of St-Hubert appeared before Quebec Court Judge Pierre Belisle at the Montreal courthouse on Wednesday.

He is charged with being involved in an accident that caused bodily harm to the girl and leaving the scene without lending assistance to the victim. The charge carries a maximum life sentence.

Prosecutor Alexandre Gautier said the Crown objects to his release. The accused’s lawyer, Éric Coulombe, noted his client does not have a criminal record. A bail hearing will be set for a future date.

Reacting to the tragedy in Quebec City on Wednesday, Premier François Legault said the incident saddens him.

“There are rules in school zones and all I can do is appeal to all Quebec citizens, please, in school zones, be prudent,” Legault said. “It’s so sad to see somebody from Ukraine, coming from a war, to end like this. It’s terrible.”

Asked what more can be done to enforce limits in school zones, Legault said he believes they’re usually respected but repeated his calls for people to be careful.

“We’re talking about our children,” the premier said.

A vigil was held for the girl Tuesday evening and a march is planned for Friday morning to call for more secure school zones. Since the incident, several residents have spoken out about the need for more pedestrian safety measures in the neighbourhood.

Stéphanie Bellenger-Heng, a former school board councillor whose daughter goes to school a few blocks away, said families have been pushing for more crossing guards since at least 2015.

Concerned parents have created a shared 311 case file number, held meetings and repeatedly contacted both the city administration and the Montreal police to address the issue, Bellenger-Heng said.

But little has changed through the years, she added.

“So I am not only deeply saddened by this, but also enraged because the mobilization has been there — in schools, by parents in the neighbourhood,” Bellenger-Heng said.

“Nothing has been done. And we can see that nothing’s been done. And then it leads to a tragedy like this one.”

Residents say traffic and speeding in the area have long been an issue, with drivers opting for residential side streets to avoid congestion. But they say the situation has worsened since the Louis-Hippolyte-La Fontaine Tunnel partially closed in October.

Michael Wilson, 38, decried the increase in traffic since the tunnel’s partial closure.

Wilson’s family uses De Rouen St. daily to bring their two-year-old daughter to daycare. Though the sector has always been busy, he feels locals know to look out for the many children crossing the streets in the morning.

He fears that isn’t the case now with the influx of cars.

“Residents understood there are kids, bikes and strollers. I think now, unfortunately, there are a lot of new commuters in our area who don’t understand these things,” Wilson said. “We’ve noticed the dangers escalating in the area and, within a month, there’s now been a fatally serious accident.”

Mayor Valérie Plante was not available for comment on Wednesday.

In an interview, Sophie Mauzerolle, the executive committee member responsible for mobility and transport and city councillor for the Ville-Marie borough, said making the neighbourhood safer is a top priority for the administration.

“I say this with sincerity, it’s at the heart of our concerns and it’s a priority of the mayor,” she said. “We know there are needs and we’re really proactive, but I can understand the frustration with events like this. … It’s extremely difficult, what happened.”

Mauzerolle said various safety measures have been implemented in the neighbourhood over the past few years, including curb extensions and speed bumps.

More recently, in an effort to detour traffic resulting from the tunnel’s partial closure, Mauzerolle said 17 speed bumps and 15 signs prohibiting right turns were added in the area. But she acknowledged the measures aren’t always respected.

In response to citizens saying little has been done to make the neighbourhood safer, Mauzerolle said she believes they know efforts have been made.

“But I think the message they’re sending us is ‘do more and do it faster.’ And I hear them, and I share their concerns,” she said. “But it’s the whole city that needs to be transformed. The city wasn’t conceived to protect the most vulnerable users.”

There are several schools and daycares in the area. Parents received letters from school officials Wednesday morning advising they should be ready to discuss what happened with their children, as many probably noticed the police presence following the incident.

Bellenger-Heng spoke about it with her own daughter Wednesday morning before she left for school, walking across both Papineau and De Lorimier Aves. to get there.

“I told her please be careful, because she tells me every day it seems everyone is speeding up at the lights and in a hurry,” Bellenger-Heng said.

“It’s extremely stressful. And now even more so, I imagine, for every parent in the neighbourhood.”

The Montreal Gazette’s Paul Cherry, Katelyn Thomas and Philip Authier contributed to this report.

jfeith@postmedia.com

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Man granted bail in hit-and-run that killed 7-year-old Ukrainian girl in Montreal
Juan Manuel Becerra Garcia faces one count of failing to stop after an accident resulting in death

Author of the article:The Canadian Press
The Canadian Press
Published Dec 15, 2022 • 2 minute read

A Montreal-area man charged in a hit and run that killed a seven-year-old Ukrainian girl as she walked to school was granted bail Thursday.

Juan Manuel Becerra Garcia, 45, was released on a series of conditions that include not driving a motorized vehicle, putting up $2,000 and not contacting the family of the young victim, Maria Legenkovska.

Maria had arrived in Montreal this year with her mother, Galyna Legenkovska, brother and sister while her father stayed behind in Ukraine to fight against the Russian invasion.

The girl was struck Tuesday morning just east of downtown as she walked to school with her brother and sister. She died later that day in a hospital.

Prosecutor Alexandre Gautier said the conditions placed on the accused, who has no previous criminal record, are in line with the evidence in the case.

Becerra Garcia had been detained since he turned himself in on Tuesday. He faces one count of failing to stop after an accident resulting in death, with the case returning on March 9, 2023. The police investigation into the fatal hit and run is ongoing.

Rev. Volodymyr Kouchnir, the head priest at Ste-Sophie Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Montreal, has been counselling the family since Maria’s death. Kouchnir, who met the family upon their arrival in Canada earlier this year, described the mother’s state as up and down.

“She is surrounded with the friends, you know, and I’m keeping contact with her all the time talking to her … trying to help spiritually … to keep her spirits up,” Kouchnir said.

“She has to be strong … I know it’s not easy for her during this period of time, but she has to keep in mind that she has two (other) kids that need a mother.”

Kouchnir said plans for a funeral are on hold as the father is expected leave the front line and travel to Canada to attend. He said a funeral is unlikely before early next week. The mother has already decided Maria would be buried in Montreal.

Two online fundraisers — one organized by Galyna’s employer and a separate one organized by the church — had raised in excess of $125,000 as of Thursday evening.

On Thursday, the City of Montreal announced new measures aimed at getting drivers to slow down at the intersection where Maria was killed.

Multiple calls were made to 911 at around 8:05 a.m. Tuesday about the collision on Parthenais St., just east of downtown. Police said the driver left the scene before first responders arrived. Becerra Garcia turned himself in to a police station in Longueuil early Tuesday afternoon.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

000_32nz238-800x520.jpeg

GB News: British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak reportedly wants assessment on progress of the war and on UK supplies​

Kevin Rooney and Dominique Samuels discuss Rishi Sunak reportedly asking for an assessment on how the war in Ukraine is going, and what difference British supplies are making to the war efforts.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek