Minnesota: Gopher State
``` Well I gave you creole cuisine. Comments?```

EXCELLENT food!

Other good meals from the USA:

* Virginia smoked ham

* Baltimore crab cakes

* Manhattan chowder

* Southern fried chicken

Years ago there was a series on Public TV which dealt with San Francisco cuisine -- the recipes were very involved and cooking them very highly time consuming. But the meals were exquisite because they blended sea food, French + Continental, Mexican, and Californian dishes.

USA food is quite good. Anyone who denies it just doesn't know what they are missing.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Sweetheart I found English food FAB! I loved yall's lamb, I adored ploughman's tea (I know thats not correct) Your cheeses are fabulous! Meat pies were excellent and Fish n chips in Black country was AMAZING! The deli in Cowes was so quaint and the olives and garlic was out of this world! I could go on.........

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So go on, I'm intreged, what's the best thing about American cooking, and also, how's it so much better than British cuisine?....really, I'd like to know.
Montgomery Inn in Montgomery, Ohio's for the best ribs. Texas Chili Parlor in Austin, Texas. Carnegie's Deli in Noo Yawk for the best pastrami sandwich. Also in Noo Yawk is Isabella's where the best Eggs Benedict I have ever found are made. Funny thing is, there's a restaurant in Golden BC that came awfully damned close.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
I don't the actual food whether British, American or anyhthing else is the problem. I travel back and forth between Canada and Australia fairly regularily. So I am used to the food on both ends. Yet it seems that first week or so on either end is hard on the stomach and guts especially if I have been away for awhile.

As was mentioned before it could be the bacteria present in the food more so than the food itself.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
cheers for that everyone, I once went to a mexican/chinese/US restaurant in New Mexico, we had two groups and the second group followed us in....I thought the food was fine, I love burrito's (maybe I'm like Ozzie Osborne in that way), but most of the group thought it was pretty foul....although I think our trek leader was just annoyed cus the waiter (when asking where she came from, and her replying, New England......well Boston) replied "New England?....whats the difference between New and Old England? lol.

Thanks for that everyone

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Who cares whether British food sucks.

Their pints are magnificent and provide enough caloric intake to survive.

Wonderful North American food can be found in the following places:
Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Thai restaurants, Vietnamese restaurants, Indonesian restaurants, Indian restaurants, Middle Eastern restaurants.

Thank goodness for immigrants.

Reactions: gopher

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Daz, I really do think that "British food sucks" is some stupid buzz-phrase that folks use when they don't actually know what the HELL they're talking about yet still want to appear well versed in global culture or something like that- kinda like people who still use the phrase "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" and expect folks to see that as witty or somehow observational

Only "British" food I can recall REALLY hating was my late "Very British" Grandmas Treacle recipe, I am not sure if she made it right or what but I could hardly choke down a single spoon of that stuff. Her chocolate eclairs,however (which I called "cream puffs" much to her chagrin) and fruit cake with sweet icing, were damn near perfection

And there's a bunch of Indian and some middle eastern influence on dishes like curries and some soups in the foods of the English, too.

Tho, really I'm not one to talk too much about it, following a vegetarian diet means MOST foods that most folks eat, I don't- I tend to eat foods from desert countries, with WAY too much spice, about the only "north american" food I eat would probably be corn on the cob (and even then only when it's fresh around here)

Fun topic man!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''Who cares whether British food sucks.
Their pints are magnificent and provide enough caloric intake to survive."

EXCELLENT!

How very true!!! That comment merits good rep points.

Makes me wish I had a bottle of Samuel Smith Tadcaster now.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can tell you one thing about the food over there in Canada and the US: The portions are far too large for anybody that has any self-respect.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Who cares whether British food sucks.

Their pints are magnificent and provide enough caloric intake to survive.

Wonderful North American food can be found in the following places:
Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Thai restaurants, Vietnamese restaurants, Indonesian restaurants, Indian restaurants, Middle Eastern restaurants.

Thank goodness for immigrants.
LOL
I've had bison on corn bannick (s?) a couple times and thought it was great. Good thing for indigenous people. :D

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
''Who cares whether British food sucks.
Their pints are magnificent and provide enough caloric intake to survive."

EXCELLENT!

How very true!!! That comment merits good rep points.

Makes me wish I had a bottle of Samuel Smith Tadcaster now.

Never tried real English beer. But then I'm a stout fan anyway. Stout has every mineral and vitamin known to man in it, and some that man hasn't discovered yet, too. :D

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
2 pure beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun. It doesn't get any better than that.
It was actually: two all beef patties (hooves included), special sauce (Thousand Island), lettuce, cheese (processed), pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun according to the ad.
In my terms it is gut-bomb.
Ever watch "Supersize Me"?