Obama reveals secrets of Bush anti-terror campaign

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
This speaks for itself...

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration threw open the curtain on years of Bush-era secrets Monday, revealing anti-terror memos that claimed exceptional search-and-seizure powers and divulging that the CIA destroyed nearly 100 videotapes of interrogations and other treatment of terror suspects.

The Justice Department released nine legal opinions showing that, following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the Bush administration determined that certain constitutional rights would not apply during the coming fight. Within two weeks, government lawyers were already discussing ways to wiretap U.S. conversations without warrants.

The Bush administration eventually abandoned many of the legal conclusions, but the documents themselves had been closely held. By releasing them, President Barack Obama continued a house-cleaning of the previous administration's most contentious policies.

"Too often over the past decade, the fight against terrorism has been viewed as a zero-sum battle with our civil liberties," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a speech a few hours before the documents were released. "Not only is that school of thought misguided, I fear that in actuality it does more harm than good."

The Obama administration also acknowledged in court documents Monday that the CIA destroyed 92 videos of involving terror suspects, including interrogations -- far more than had been known. Congressional Democrats and other critics have charged that some of the harsh interrogation techniques amounted to torture, a contention President George W. Bush and his officials rejected.

CTV.ca | Obama reveals secrets of Bush anti-terror campaign

Reactions: gopher

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
How did Bush manipulate the masses. Leading up to the 2004 election there were 11 yellow/amber alerts to "pump up the fear and paranoia".

After the election was over there were....... none.

Did terrorism go on vacation... post 2004? or ....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I just watched BBC News and it was reported that Obama is the most popular politician in the world. Definitely not good news for his detractors.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I just watched BBC News and it was reported that Obama is the most popular politician in the world. Definitely not good news for his detractors.

gopher, amazingly enough this gallup poll show just how popular Obama is at this time. From the day he took office at 69% to today recently when he was at 50% and jumped back up to 67% percent. Polls will always be subject to swings but if you look at these numbers you will see an almost flat line.. It will be interesting to see how long Obama can hold onto this popularity in these economic times..

In the days immediately after Barack Obama's nationally televised address to Congress on Tuesday night, his public support has increased significantly to 67% in Feb. 24-26 Gallup Daily polling, and is now just two points below his term high. This comes on the heels of a term-low 59% reported by Gallup on Tuesday.

Obama Approval Rating Increases to 67%

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Really, I don't see Obama as being that radical a politician. I think what the hype is about is how great he is compared to Bush. Let's compare it this way. Imagine you spend eight years trapped in a sewer. The second the hatch to the sewer opens, already the air smells better. And as you climb away from the crap, the air gets ever sweeter. Yet in reality, you're not heading into a rose garden, but just fresh air. And that's all Obama is giving us right now. In comparison to other world leaders, he's just typical. And even then, he's still relatively right wing, perhaps just slightly to the left of Harper. Essentially, Obama's a Red Tory.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Really, I don't see Obama as being that radical a politician. I think what the hype is about is how great he is compared to Bush. Let's compare it this way. Imagine you spend eight years trapped in a sewer. The second the hatch to the sewer opens, already the air smells better. And as you climb away from the crap, the air gets ever sweeter. Yet in reality, you're not heading into a rose garden, but just fresh air. And that's all Obama is giving us right now. In comparison to other world leaders, he's just typical. And even then, he's still relatively right wing, perhaps just slightly to the left of Harper. Essentially, Obama's a Red Tory.

I think that is part of the Hype.. Obama is not really doing anything special, just being "President" and nothing else..

By not trashing others all the time, not being negative about others and portraing a more positive and pro-active stance he is actually doing something.. He may make mistakes but people expect that and god forbid he can admit it..