Need help to convert...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Rufus. To be accurate get a good scale to measure your herbs. Every tablespoon and teaspoon is different in dimensions. Weighed grams won't vary.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Using your ingredients and spices, I would suggest you need at least two cups of water and a can or two of tomato paste.* I assume you are using canned tomatoes. Leave the tomato paste until the end and add as much as you need to get it to the thickness you require.

*I see you are probably using fresh tomatoes. You will still need to achieve the thickness you want and the easiest way is using tomato paste. Btw, tomato paste is less than a dollar a can and you can't make it for that....

As I said I made tomato/garlic/basil sauce. I had to cook it down to half the volume which took about 8 hours on simmer. Would I need one or two cans of tomato paste and what size can. Where we shop I can get the small cans for 2@.88 when they go on sale.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Start with a small batch - say 4 cups of tomatoes. Chop them finely, and I'd say for a batch that size you'd want approx 1 tbsp of the spice mix. After cooking, you might use a hand-held blender to puree the sauce more.

Test it, then you can adjust the spices. That's why I'd suggest about a 4 cup batch, until you get the proportions just right.

I Have a hand crank machine that purees the tomatoes for me, it removes the seeds and skins and leaves a very thick base for tomato sauce and I don't have to blanch them first.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Rufus. To be accurate get a good scale to measure your herbs. Every tablespoon and teaspoon is different in dimensions. Weighed grams won't vary.

Being that we are both Diabetic, we have a very accurate digital scale that we use to weigh our food portions with. I think that it will work just fine. Thank you for the suggestion.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Being that we are both Diabetic, we have a very accurate digital scale that we use to weigh our food portions with. I think that it will work just fine. Thank you for the suggestion.
No probs. one other suggestion is to find real oregano. most of what we get in north America isn't really oregano but a herb from Mexico that lacks the properties of Mediterranean oregano.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No probs. one other suggestion is to find real oregano. most of what we get in north America isn't really oregano but a herb from Mexico that lacks the properties of Mediterranean oregano.

Don't forget to put the oregano in a baggie, and drive around town with that and the scale on the front seat of your car.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
As I said I made tomato/garlic/basil sauce. I had to cook it down to half the volume which took about 8 hours on simmer. Would I need one or two cans of tomato paste and what size can. Where we shop I can get the small cans for 2@.88 when they go on sale.

At 44 cents a can, you definitely can't make it for that. I would get a couple small
cans and use as much as you need...and you'll know the next time.

What kind of tomatoes did you grow? Because of the deer we only had two plants in pots on our deck this year.....One Beefsteak, and one Roma. We got a few dozen tomatoes from each plant and we'll get a few more before the Fall.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
At 44 cents a can, you definitely can't make it for that. I would get a couple small
cans and use as much as you need...and you'll know the next time.

What kind of tomatoes did you grow? Because of the deer we only had two plants in pots on our deck this year.....One Beefsteak, and one Roma. We got a few dozen tomatoes from each plant and we'll get a few more before the Fall.

They were a variety of the Roma family called Health Kick. I had never heard of them but the greenhouse where we got them said that they were very popular. They are some sort of hybrid designed to produce a larger crop, which they did, and not be susceptible to the usual tomato diseases.

We don't have a problem with the deer eating our tomatoes, the deer prefer to eat our corn and the groundhogs like to eat the tops off the pepper plants.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
Don't forget to put the oregano in a baggie, and drive around town with that and the scale on the front seat of your car.

Sounds like a plan to me.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Needs more garlic. lol 1 measly tsp of garlic powder for 6 quarts? sheeeesh Sage? I use that in poultry seasoning. Odd thought for pizza. No mustard either. lol
We cook alike Anna. I said nix the Sage too - does seem very odd for pizza sauce as does the mustard. Iggy: Are you saying mustard or mouseturd?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We cook alike Anna. I said nix the Sage too - does seem very odd for pizza sauce as does the mustard. Iggy: Are you saying mustard or mouseturd?

I've used dry mustard in Spaghetti sauce and chilli for years. I've also seen sage in pasta sauce recipes a few times though I don't use it myself. Sage is not one of my favourite spices. Some people really dump the sage into poultry stuffing when a more subtle touch is needed.

rufus

Electoral Member
Mar 7, 2009
To all those who gave me suggestions, I thank you.

Here is the results of my efforts. I took 10lbs of tomatoes and ran them through the sauce machine that I have. Used the spice recipe with the following exceptions, we added 2 tsp more oregano and left out the chili pepper. Put it all in a stock pot and simmered for 2 hours, added a small can of tomato paste and simmered another hour.

Ladled the sauce into jelly jars and processed in a water bath for 15 min. It turned out beautifully.

Thank you Juan for reminding me to add tomato paste. I wish I could share a slice of pizza with all of you.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
To all those who gave me suggestions, I thank you.

Here is the results of my efforts. I took 10lbs of tomatoes and ran them through the sauce machine that I have. Used the spice recipe with the following exceptions, we added 2 tsp more oregano and left out the chili pepper. Put it all in a stock pot and simmered for 2 hours, added a small can of tomato paste and simmered another hour.

Ladled the sauce into jelly jars and processed in a water bath for 15 min. It turned out beautifully.

Thank you Juan for reminding me to add tomato paste. I wish I could share a slice of pizza with all of you.

Make mine pepperoni and mushroom...:smile: I'm glad your efforts were a success. We are having pizza tonight. Bought the sauce but I made the pizza shells with the breadmaker