Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Name your favorite Frenchperson in history

Martin Le Acadien said:
Mon Votre Ca pour Louis Broussard.

Acadien Resistance Leader from whom I am descended, Vive Acadie. 1732-1765 Born Port Royal, died in St. Martinville, Louisiane.

we are talking about the french and not the stinking Acadiens.... Just kidding.. thats kewl, never heard of him... did he do something?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Joan of Arc!!!!

we had a nice BBQ in her Honour!!!!!

well......she did hear voices (shame they couldnt tell her that the english were gonna burn her alive!!!!)

actually, my favourite frenchman isnt a frenchman at all, but speaks french and has a french name (so thats gotta qualify him right?)

check out this link...the man was a genius, I'm not even mentioning the 51 out of 52 penalties......ladies and gentlemen, Madam et Monseir I give you....Matthew Le Tissier:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=40687

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Name your favorite Fr

Michel Platini told Matt he was "the best player he's ever seen, a million times better than myself"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: RE: Name your favorite Fr

Daz_Hockey said:
William "La batard" the conqueror (real name Guilliam Hocke) supposed frenchman from normandy......or that would be what the french will tell you.

He's actually a norman (meaning norseman) and is german, and translated Guilliam Hocke means "Darren Hockey"!!!!:)
You mean, the guy who invaded your country, and the only Frenchman to ever defeat the English in a major battle?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I'm picking two...

Jacques Cartier

Samuel Champlain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Said1 said:
Why was he a bastard, didn't his father acknowledge him?

Because he was the illegitimate son of Duke Robert I of Normandy, and Herleve (also known as Arlette), daughter of a tanner in Falaise.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Blackleaf said:
Daz_Hockey said:
William "La batard" the conqueror (real name Guilliam Hocke) supposed frenchman from normandy......or that would be what the french will tell you.

He's actually a norman (meaning norseman) and is german, and translated Guilliam Hocke means "Darren Hockey"!!!!:)
You mean, the guy who invaded your country, and the only Frenchman to ever defeat the English in a major battle?

The Franks were Germanic too...

And Blackleaf, you should thank us Normans for bringing civility to your Island.... :)

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
RE: Name your favorite Fr

yeah, it's william's surname that interests me the most lol Hocke.......most european people's were germanic

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Louis Pasteur has to be first choice.
Pasturized milk was a good idea, and not having people running about foaming at the mouth, then keeling over from rabies ranks right up there also.

My #2 fave Frenchie has to be :
Jacques Le Dildo, who invented...........................the mousetrap.

Damn smart man.

:wink:

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net

Jay said:
Blackleaf said:
Daz_Hockey said:

The Franks were Germanic too...

And Blackleaf, you should thank us Normans for bringing civility to your Island.... :)

oh and the Romans didn't help? Though Romanization went the way of the dohdoh once the Saxons invaded.