Murder

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Wow. I was just reading this report from the Centre for Disease Control. In 2002 there were 17,638 homicides in the United States. 11,829 of those homicides were committed with firearms. 8O

I guess that means guns only kill about 11/17ths of the people.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I read that too. But you know Nero will come up with some spin.......Per capita that is a hell of a lot more than Canada.

But yet Canadians don't seem to have developed the "violence gene" like many south of the 49th. And basically we mostly all came from UK/Europe originally, but seems when US recieved Independance and after war of 1812 they became "agressive' or more "hostile" than us and we became more "gentler" and more closer to being "pacifist people". I am not saying we are pacifists but we are a lot closer to that than America, which is so agressive and ready to go to war or interfere in other countries affairs at the drop of a hat.

I just think it is odd. Similar ancestry but very diferent aspects on life.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
But yet Canadians don't seem to have the "violence gene" like many south of the 49th. And basically we mostly all came from UK originally, but seems when US recieved Independance they became "agressive' or more "hostile" than us and we became more "gentler" and more closer to being "pacifist people". I am not saying we are pacifists but we are a lot closer to that than America, which is so agressive and ready to go to war or interfere in other countries affairs at the drop of a hat

Well thye achieved their idependance by shooting people, we achieved ours by negociation. The Americans history of revolution against a government shows in their constiution (the right to bear arms to defend against the government and such, which somebody ought to use to shoot the criminals currently residing in the White House if they are going to have guns they may as well put them to some use.). Meanwhile we achieved our independance slowly and gradually by negociatiing. It all started out from the same root (looking for better government) but we took different paths.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
England and France have far bloodier pasts than the US does though, Andy, and they don't have nearly the murder rate.

I think it more to do with the national mythology. The US is the wild west. Jesse James' distant descendant is on TV now and he's still an outlaw. Bonnie and Clyde were heroes to a lot of people, then when they were killed their death car became a tourist attraction. Even their law makers were basically violent vigilantes...think about the Earps or Pat what his name who murdered Billy the Kid. The US has, since it's very beginnings, cultivated a violent mythology.

Imagine if Canada celebrated the Mad Trapper and the Black Donnallys that way.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Murder

Reverend Blair said:
England and France have far bloodier pasts than the US does though, Andy, and they don't have nearly the murder rate.

I think it more to do with the national mythology. The US is the wild west. Jesse James' distant descendant is on TV now and he's still an outlaw. Bonnie and Clyde were heroes to a lot of people, then when they were killed their death car became a tourist attraction. Even their law makers were basically violent vigilantes...think about the Earps or Pat what his name who murdered Billy the Kid. The US has, since it's very beginnings, cultivated a violent mythology.

Imagine if Canada celebrated the Mad Trapper and the Black Donnallys that way.

in the u.s.. violence and aggression are closely tied in with hero worship. (imho). As you stated.....examine their history and the heros they admire.....and "Hollywood" reinforces this .

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Andygal said:
But yet Canadians don't seem to have the "violence gene" like many south of the 49th. And basically we mostly all came from UK originally, but seems when US recieved Independance they became "agressive' or more "hostile" than us and we became more "gentler" and more closer to being "pacifist people". I am not saying we are pacifists but we are a lot closer to that than America, which is so agressive and ready to go to war or interfere in other countries affairs at the drop of a hat

Well thye achieved their idependance by shooting people, we achieved ours by negociation. The Americans history of revolution against a government shows in their constiution (the right to bear arms to defend against the government and such, which somebody ought to use to shoot the criminals currently residing in the White House if they are going to have guns they may as well put them to some use.). Meanwhile we achieved our independance slowly and gradually by negociatiing. It all started out from the same root (looking for better government) but we took different paths.

The Second Amendment was written into the US Constitution because at the time the Constitution was drawn up, the US had no standing army, and the protection of the territories fell upon whatever local militias could be mustered in time of need in order to combat any foreign or domestic threats...

...obviously with the sizeable military now at the government's disposal, there is no need for local militias, and hence no need for the Second Amendment...

Gun control advocates have argued this to death, but the NRA is an enormous lobby group, with seemingly unlimited resources from which to draw...so the chances of ever repealing the Second Amendment are pretty damn slim...