Moving to Calgary--HELP!

tfaria

Jun 15, 2005
Hi Everyone,

This thread is mainly directed to anyone who lives and works in Calgary.

My Situation: This past summer I decided to move out west and had a tough time deciding between Calgary and Edmonton. I ended up moving to Edmonton from Toronto. What a mistake. I was able to find a job in my field (interior design) quickly and we live in a great and safe central area, and that is just about the best thing that I can say about the city. In fact, I really can't say if there is much if anything at all that I do like about Edmonton. It wasn't anything that I hoped for it to be.

So, you guessed it, I am going to relocate to Calgary. The choice that I should have made. I just have questions about downtown living. I really do prefer to live central, but like any central area of a city there will be some great areas and some sketchy ones.

What is a great , safe and clean area to live downtown Calgary? Any apartment recommendations? What is the price range for an apartment rental?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

tfaria

Jun 15, 2005
Deadmonton, enough said, right?
I can go on and on about how this city just didn't meet my living standards, besides affordable living. Everything else pretty much bites.

Any sugguestions on safe areas to live in or near the Calgary downtown area?

Canadian with a hyphen

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2006
Calgary
kesington area is good area in Calgary...u have a higher chance finding a place on 17 avenue though...checkthe BOARDWALK propeties and see if there is an vacancy on 17 avenue...
price range ..ur looking at over $1500 ..1 bedroom, 1 livingroom, dining area, kicthen and washroom.

Good luck :)

albertawolves

Jul 9, 2006
Calgary Alberta area
Been in Calgary for 26 years now. Nice areas CLOSE to downtown within 10 minutes, are Westgate, Glamorgan, Richmond, West Hills, Signal Hill, and parts of Bankview, most are off 17th ave, in the southwest area. Yes Kensington is awesome but really trendy so VERY expensive.The areas I mentioned rent varies from $700-$900, for 1-2 bedroom apartment, and $1200-$1500 for a house

hoperon

Dec 11, 2009
I have lived in Montreal my whole life and am thinking of moving to Calagry. I have 2 kids, so I am looking for a suberb with good schools, and a nice community. Can anyone reccommend what area I should be looking at?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Hi Everyone,

My Situation: This past summer I decided to move out west and had a tough time deciding between Calgary and Edmonton. I ended up moving to Edmonton from Toronto. What a mistake. I was able to find a job in my field (interior design) quickly and we live in a great and safe central area, and that is just about the best thing that I can say about the city. In fact, I really can't say if there is much if anything at all that I do like about Edmonton. It wasn't anything that I hoped for it to be.

So, you guessed it, I am going to relocate to Calgary. The choice that I should have made. I just have questions about downtown living. I really do prefer to live central, but like any central area of a city there will be some great areas and some sketchy ones.

What is a great , safe and clean area to live downtown Calgary? Any apartment recommendations? What is the price range for an apartment rental?

What is it you didn't like about Edmonton? Just curious, I used to live there and spend about a third of my time in Calgary on biz. Granted, they are different places but again, just curious about what turned you off about Edmonton...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
countryboy and hoperon, this thread is years old, that poster hasn't been around since '06.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
countryboy and hoperon, this thread is years old, that poster hasn't been around since '06.

Geez, Color me blushing...I gotta' start checking dates! Thanks Karrie!
(But, I'm still wondering what she didn't like about Edmonton...ha, ha...she might feel the same way about Calgary by now!)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Geez, Color me blushing...I gotta' start checking dates! Thanks Karrie!
(But, I'm still wondering what she didn't like about Edmonton...ha, ha...she might feel the same way about Calgary by now!)

Hey, you're not the one who necroposted the thread... lol. I've made the same mistake. And I'd guess that she didn't like Calgary any better. They're not that drastically different in my experience.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You can find it here.... we have a couple people from Calgary who are members... just, you might want to start a thread in the regional discussion, introducing yourself and posing your question, so it doesn't get lost in an old thread full of other people's questions.

Torijames

Mar 17, 2010
Learn about Calgary

Lots of great information about Calgary neighborhoods and communities can be found here at www.liveincalgary.com. A new non-profit resource to help newcomers get settled, and for people who are considering moving to Calgary.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi Everyone,

If you hate Edmonton, I'm not sure you are going to like Calgary.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If you hate Edmonton, I'm not sure you are going to like Calgary.
That was my inital thought. "Downtown" in either place is never the safest place to be.
I did chuckle at this though.
"What a mistake. I was able to find a job in my field (interior design) quickly and we live in a great and safe central area,"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That was my inital thought. "Downtown" in either place is never the safest place to be.
I did chuckle at this though.
"What a mistake. I was able to find a job in my field (interior design) quickly and we live in a great and safe central area,"

Perhaps a little "growing up" is in order- Good job, great living area- to me that covers a lot of what's important in life.