Most Canadians oppose communism victims memorial after being shown design

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We already have it determined by 'others' what 'we' are entitled to while 'they' use a much different list to determine what they are entitled to.
I don't have an issue with monuments generally, however, the ones that have names on them should be built at the location of the incident rather than in some far away land where even a tiny portion of the people in that country actually touch the item. I also think it leads to the ability to embellish on events because the remnant that lived through it are not around to dispute the official narrative.

Like I said way back in May when this thread started, commemorative monuments are deliberate propaganda pieces of state ideology and national identity. It doesn't matter that what is being commemorated took place here or even at all. It's national myth making. Even under your criteria, national monuments promote an ideological narrative. Ultimately, we can either support the message or not. There's no formula we can come up with that produce appropriate monuments.

WOW That is spectacularly ugly.
I think their poll is way off since most Canadians have never even heard of this thing, never mind being asked their opinion about it.

It's practically Stalin-esque.