Montebello - SPP is about US military command

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Well buddy, I have to admit I was going overboard there. Sometimes I apply the same standard to these political issues as to the 'global warming denials' where "it just gets in the way" of finding solutions, which is why the climate change deniers do that.

I was wrong to apply that to this issue, sorry. We do need to have this discussion.

Okaythen, seriously, I am gratefull to discuss this here -

Quote:
We do not need to be fighting "terrorists" - since 9/11 there has not been 100s of Americans and certainly no Canadians dying at the hands of suicide bombers.
Has it ever occured to you that the lack of a successful attack on North America since 9-11 is because the terrorists have no place to openly train, arm, and plan? That that is because we've whacked them quite well in Afghanistan?
------------------------------------
K -
Not really, they can train lots of places, and now we have not made much of a dent in the Taliban of Afghanistan.
Pakistan is one place they can do their training. We do not want to go after them there, and Pakistan has been a terrorist training grounds for a long time. And Africa - Sudan is full of training grounds for Islamic Radicals.
And why not right here in Canada - "training" can go on almost anywhere, in someone's basement, like grow-ops do. Supplies are available at your local hardware store, right?

Besides, not much training is needed to blow yourself up.

Do YOU really think that NOT ONE suicide bomber who is intent on setting themselves off in an American mall could not have done that in the past 6 years since 9/11 - IF THEY WANTED TO?

And again, I point to the fact that there have been no great loss of life or property in north america in the past 6 years as evidence that the war on terror is just an excuse to go for Iraqi oil and Afghan pipeline routes.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I am pretty sure more harm has been done to Canadians through the passing of security certificates and deporting them to places like Syria than from any actual terrorist activity. Absence of evidence is certainly not evidence of absence. I don't like our new security laws, based as they are against an abstract vision of security meant to protect society as a whole from the threat of a delocalized and impersonal threat embodied in no person in particular.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Thanks for the reasoned reply, Karlin. It is sometimes hard to accept that reasonable people can sincerely hold and defend beliefs directly opposed to your own, and I am as guilty of that as anyone.

Not really, they can train lots of places, and now we have not made much of a dent in the Taliban of Afghanistan.
Pakistan is one place they can do their training. We do not want to go after them there, and Pakistan has been a terrorist training grounds for a long time. And Africa - Sudan is full of training grounds for Islamic Radicals.
And why not right here in Canada - "training" can go on almost anywhere, in someone's basement, like grow-ops do. Supplies are available at your local hardware store, right?

All true, as far as it goes......but they do not have a place secure and protected by the national government......they must work from hiding, a much more complicated task. And after the destruction of the Taliban government in Afghanistan, I promise you national gov'ts are somewhat hesitant to openly support active terrorist camps......... If they try in the west, they run a much greater chance of detection, as did the group from Toronto. Although it seems they were the Keystone Cops of the Islamic terrorist world.............

And again, I point to the fact that there have been no great loss of life or property in north america in the past 6 years as evidence that the war on terror is just an excuse to go for Iraqi oil and Afghan pipeline routes.

I have always thought the "blood for oil" argument was spectacularly silly..........a damned expensive way to get oil, especially as Iraq would have been more than willing to sell the stuff to the US for $50 a barrel......as the Islamic nation of the Saudis have for decades.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Has it ever occured to you that the lack of a successful attack on North America since 9-11 is because the terrorists have no place to openly train, arm, and plan? That that is because we've whacked them quite well in Afghanistan? That the 69 Canadian soldiers that died there did so protecting your arse? As george Orwell said "We sleep peaceful in our beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf"

WOW! First of all, I've NEVER said this was a "fake excuse to go after Iraqi oil". Secondly, someone should tell bin Laden he is not interesting in "coming over here". I think 19 of his buddies missed the message on Sept. 11, 2001. Thirdly, Canada was SPECIFICALLY threatened in one of bin Laden's messages. Fourthly, the terrorist arrested pre-9-11 smuggling explosives into the USA to attack LAX originally planned an attack on the Jews of MONTREAL,on bin Laden's orders. Before we were anywhere near Afghanistan.

Only fools ignore facts in favour of ideology. See above.
Only get bombed on Saturday night, and not even then lately. (sigh)

The first sentence is just dumbass......9-11 happened before G W. invaded Iraq......so did the attacks on US embassies in Africa, the attack on the USS Cole, the original attack on the WTC.......

And yes, I know there is no solid connection between al Queda and Saddam.

That's right.......I've formulated my entire framework of political ideas and beliefs just to piss you off.......:roll:

Hi brainwasheep, the anthrax attack occured after 9-11 which was again an inside job, secondly there is not a single shread of proof, that saddam had connection to alqueada, actually alqueada camp in iraq, were in north, which was under UN and USA Control, and just for your own information, saddam and oussama hated each other.

Thirdly , there is not a single shread of proof, that alqueada and oussama bin laden are behind 9-11, here is the link of bin laden on FBI web site

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/terrorists/terbinladen.htm

CAUTION

Usama Bin Laden is wanted in connection with the August 7, 1998, bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. These attacks killed over 200 people. In addition, Bin Laden is a suspect in other terrorist attacks throughout the world.

Where is 9-11?

Toro

Senate Member
There's no need for the FBI to charge him. In 1998, the American public did not know who he was.

Now, Osama would not get a criminal trial because what he perpetrated is considered by the US government an act of war. So other branches of government are dealing with him now.

Thus, what's the point of putting him on the FBI list?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A North American Union would be vastly different from a European Union. There are 26 members in the EU and no one nation dominates. A NAU would give the much larger US economy and culture free reign over both Mexico and Canada, what little national identity we have left would be in jeopardy.

Mexico has a strong national identity.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There is not a single shred of proof that Al Queda and Bin Laden had anything to do with 9/11. - Logic

That has to be the quote of the decade. ROFLROFLROFLROFL