Minnan-Wong not running again

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Minnan-Wong not running again, tells Toronto council 'go easy on bike lanes'
He also wished success to his council colleagues in what he said looked to be challenging times ahead.

Author of the article:Antonella Artuso
Publishing date:Jul 13, 2022 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read • 7 Comments

Toronto Councillor and Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong won’t seek re-election on Oct. 24.

Minnan-Wong said he has run on a platform of “keeping taxes down” since his first municipal campaign in 1994 and has always been a “proud and unapologetic defender of property owners’ rights” while trying to serve both tenants and homeowners.

“Going forward, I hope council will focus on some areas I see as particular concerns and pay attention to key emerging issues,” he said in a message Wednesday to his Ward 16, Mayor John Tory and city council.

“We need to invest more in our roads. Our parks need more attention. Graffiti is out of hand. Rooming houses and transitional housing projects should not be allowed into residential neighbourhoods without proper, thorough and authentic consultation.”

Minnan-Wong thanked Tory for appointing him deputy mayor for the past two terms.

He also wished success to his council colleagues in what he said looked to be challenging times ahead.

“So good luck … and go easy on the bike lanes,” Minnan-Wong said.

The councillor said he is proud of his record, which includes helping save the Gardiner Expressway, extend the East Don trail and create the first separated bike lanes in the south downtown area.

“As a TTC commissioner, I played a leadership role in the introduction of electric buses to the TTC fleet,” he added.

aartuso@postmedia.com