Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Who the does this guy think he is?

How much money does this guy need?

$8 million????

Canadian Senators are a special breed

Mike Duffy is suing the Senate, federal government for $8M - Politics - CBC News

Senator is suing for punitive damages related to the Senate expenses scandal

Sen. Mike Duffy is taking legal action against the Senate and the federal government, seeking nearly $8 million in damages.

The suit seeks $6.5 million in general damages, $300,000 for loss of income and benefits and $1 million in punitive damages relating to the treatment Duffy faced during the Senate expenses scandal.

In a statement, the P.E.I. senator said Conservatives are still in control of the Senate's powerful internal economy committee — which deals with budget and other personnel matters — and they have proven they are "not interested in correcting the unjustified actions taken against me by the Senate."

"The Harper Conservatives have left me with no choice but to go back to the courts for justice," Duffy said.

An Ontario judge dismissed all 31 criminal charges relating to Duffy's Senate expenses in April 2016, clearing the way for his return to the Senate. Duffy now sits as a member of the Independent Senators Group (ISG).

Mike Duffy will face a battle if he wants back pay, senior Tory senators say

Duffy said Thursday he has suffered "stress and serious financial damage" since the Senate moved to suspend him from the chamber and referred his questionable expenses to the RCMP for investigation in 2013. The senator maintains that he was not afforded due process or the presumption of innocence throughout these proceedings.

The P.E.I. senator's pay — and most of his benefits — were withheld for two years but were later restored when former prime minister Stephen Harper dissolved Parliament to call the last election. After Duffy's acquittal, the Senate also clawed back some $17,000 of expenses — which came to light during the trial — that it deemed inappropriate despite the judge's findings.

In December 2016, Duffy requested a reimbursement of the salary, living allowances and pension accruals that were withheld because of his suspension. The senator said that request has been ignored.

The Senate's interim law clerk, Jacqueline Kuehl, told CBC News the Red Chamber would not comment as the matter is before the courts. The Senate will soon be expected to file a statement of defence in response to Duffy's accusations.

A former top Harper staffer said Thursday Duffy's demand for such a large monetary sum speaks to his true character.

"By going for this grossly inflated figure of nearly $8 million, it just confirms, I think, what everybody knows about Mike Duffy and that his north star is greed," Andrew MacDougall, Harper's former director of communications, said in an interview.

only quoted half the article

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
"By going for this grossly inflated figure of nearly $8 million, it just confirms, I think, what everybody knows about Mike Duffy and that his north star is greed," Andrew MacDougall, Harper's former director of communications, said in an interview.

He was dragged through the mud over 17 thousand dollars, 31 dismissed charges.....we kinda knew that this was coming.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If Khadr can get 10+ Million out of us, why not the Big Dipper, too?

We owe him a living for some-thing-or-other, I can't quite remember what.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Who the does this guy think he is?

How much money does this guy need?

$8 million????

I guess he didn't get the Liberal memo that only none white people can legitimately sue the Canadian government.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
IIRC someone on this forum predicted legal action over this issue.

Remember how the left was going batshit crazy About this Duffy guy basically being the next anti christ.

Guess johnnny boy here swallowed that whole load. Still got some on his chin.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Angstrom in my opinion this Fat Cat has nothing to complain about. He makes great coin and is garunteed a nice junk of cash for a pension.

He is dead weight just like you.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Angstrom in my opinion this Fat Cat has nothing to complain about. He makes great coin and is garunteed a nice junk of cash for a pension.

He is dead weight just like you.

Especialy because he's white. I mean, hopefully he can die fast so we can replace him with someone none white that deserves to get the fat cat treatment because his race has been victimized in our past.