Men and name-calling

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
by Ginette Petitpas-Taylor
Barbie. *****. Baby. Bitch. Prostitute.
Name-calling? Just another day at work for some women, including some female politicians in Legislatures. Such comments are disparaging and sexist, no matter where they are said, at home, in the office or the Legislature.
Canadian men's White Ribbon campaign to end violence against women has an arresting poster that asks, "Did you ever notice that the worst thing you can call a man is a woman?"
[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Sans Serif]Guys usually do apologize — if "Who, me?" counts as an apology.[/FONT]

Well, politicians haven't decided yet what is the worst thing you can call their female colleagues.
Female politicians are also called weathergirl, dipstick, ****. Anything but equals.
Listen to the language of the legislatures: "Go back in the kitchen where you came from." "Stick to your knitting." "Pour me another tequila, Sheila, and lay down and love me again."
Just so many colourful ways used to say "No Girls Allowed."
Even female Premiers get it: "The nicest thing about a lady who says no, it's always a pleasure when they change their mind, and I am sure that our premier is going to change her mind on this important issue," said the Yukon MLA — before apologizing. Because the guys usually do apologize, if "Who me?" counts for an apology.
As Minister Roly MacIntyre, who called MLA Margaret-Ann Blaney "Barbie" this week, later said, "Sometimes those things happen. It's happened before and it will probably happen again — hopefully not with me."
Fair warning to women and anybody else who is "different" from the traditional New Brunswick politician?
That's no way to run a province.
My advice to those responsible for this Legislature is the same as to any other employer with women in a non-traditional workplace where discrimination, harassment or bullying rear their head. You should have expected it and you must prevent it.
"Send the message that such behaviour will not be tolerated, if for no other than reason than because it is unproductive. Commit to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. It is the employer's responsibility to prevent a poisoned work environment. Failure to take appropriate action may result in disciplinary measures being imposed on the manager as well as the offending person."
I am quoting from the provincial government's own workplace harassment policy for employees.
We at the Advisory Council on the Status of Women became familiar with that and similar policies recently as we were researching workplace bullying. The report from our focus groups held around the province with female victims of workplace bullying was sobering. Women reported bullying of astonishing viciousness, and spoke frequently of lack of action by management or worse, of bullying as management.
Name-calling in politics is one problem. Sexist — or racist — name-calling is another.
Sexist name-calling is a way of calling attention to the fact that women are different, of sending the message that women are inferior to men by their very nature. As political scientist Joanna Everitt of UNB in Saint John has said, the focus on women's sexuality presents them as distracting forces in government and diminishes their credibility as effective politicians.
During the first round of attacks on Belinda Stronach, someone commented that Stronach needs to age 20 years and gain 20 pounds for anyone to take her seriously. "No amount of business savvy, political sway or years of service will detract from the fact that in the world we live in, we women are still divided into Pretty Girls and Other Girls. And frankly, neither group seems free to deviate from the roles that they are expected to undertake. Until this state of affairs changes, why should any woman seriously believe that the world sees her as a real, multifaceted person?"
Those who occupy a "man's" job or are assertive are the preferred targets of gender harassment, as a recent Canadian study showed. Women in male-dominated workplaces are dismissed and disrespected if they are feminine, but scorned and disliked if they are masculine. When women who are outspoken at work are harassed, but outspoken male colleagues and less assertive female colleagues are not, then that reinforces women's subordinate status and reinforces stereotypes. Policies should focus on creating respectful work environments.
Sexist comments explain somewhat the fact that women's representation, especially in New Brunswick, is stuck at such low levels.
When we heard this week again of the sexist comment in the New Brunswick Legislature, several things came to mind. That women who could be in politics will remember this and give it as a reason to shy away from a political career.
That our efforts to reduce violence against women are wasted if such sexist comments go unchecked.
That every parent of a daughter must be disappointed that, if she chooses a non-traditional profession including politics, parental pride will be shared with fear for what awaits her. To rephrase a bumper sticker aimed at violent men, "You love your daughter. You want to give her the world. Start by treating all women with respect."

Sarah Hale said in 1832, probably with a different meaning than we read into it today, that she considered every attempt to induce women to participate in the public duties of government as injurious to their best interests and derogatory to their character.
I prefer Edna Ferber's comment, 100 years later, that if politics are too dirty for women to take part in, there's something wrong with politics.
Ginette Petitpas-Taylor, of Moncton, is Chairperson of the New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women.
Related addresses:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You can't police language. And if you do, you've got to have wide sponsorship. It's common today for young women to call each other b*tches, ho's and sl*ts. That's a phenomenon commented on in many media divisions. It's startling. As long as that's true, why are we concerned about cleaning up language to benefit women when they don't have the least of leadership amongst their own peer groups?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I noticed that there is no mention in that article of men calling each other azzhole, dip****, moron, ****head, etc...I guess that's because if you reported honestly, the article would have no point.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just go back and find the thread about the 'Man who barbecued his girlfriend, and read some of the
posts, which will again prove how disrespectful and unthoughtful some men are concerning women.
I was horrified, and said so on that thread.

Last edited:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
You can't police language. And if you do, you've got to have wide sponsorship. It's common today for young women to call each other b*tches, ho's and sl*ts. That's a phenomenon commented on in many media divisions. It's startling. As long as that's true, why are we concerned about cleaning up language to benefit women when they don't have the least of leadership amongst their own peer groups?

I can swear better than most men.......under the right circumstances. If Im on the track and we're watchin the race......damn straght Im gonna get into it but if Im in the office? Nope not appropriate.....sorry

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
I'm sorry I didn't know it was common to call each other bitch and the other names mentioned --lol

guess I'm not in the in crowd -these are Representatives of the country and Governor of our money and needs and they cant even talk to each other with out name calling --Oh thew country is in shambles

Common courtesy and proper ;languages lost on the floor of the very institute that governs us --Might as well have 16 years old in there if this is acceptable --

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I'm sorry I didn't know it was common to call each other bitch and the other names mentioned --lol

guess I'm not in the in crowd -these are Representatives of the country and Governor of our money and needs and they cant even talk to each other with out name calling --Oh thew country is in shambles

Common courtesy and proper ;languages lost on the floor of the very institute that governs us --Might as well have 16 years old in there if this is acceptable --

Im not disagreeing Im just saying that in a personal circumstance it is a social cultural thing. In the work place its not acceptable in my book. My sister has a friend they have known eachother since 2nd grade........if you listened in on their convers youd turn red......her friend is black, but if anyon else said to them what they say to eachother? Theyd kill em LOL

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Just go back and find the thread about the 'Man who barbecued his girlfriend, and read some of the
posts, which will again prove how disrespectful and unthoughtful some men are concerning women.

I'm with you on that. I do think there is a difference between how women are treated by men and how men treat eachother. There is a whole special vocabulary just to make women feel bad that doesn't apply to men. We still live in a pretty mysogynistic culture.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'd just like to say that some of our mothers raised us better than to use words like that.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I'd just like to say that some of our mothers raised us better than to use words like that.

Of course:) I've only dated one man stupid enough to call me a bad name...

And I certainly don't mean to imply it's only men who use those words either...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

i'd like to clear it up here, that I personally wasnt being rude because the crime was committed to a woman. I would have said equally nasty things about a man. I'm just afflicted with bad taste and a nasty sense of humour. I'm not sexist, am i? has anyone noticed sexist posts from me?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
But it would be good if women weren't so crude in public. Men have done so much to improve the level of public discourse and then this stunning setback occurs. When I hear foul language in public today it's almost overwhelmingly from women. Looks like one step forward and twenty back.

Reactions: Tonington

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
i'd like to clear it up here, that I personally wasnt being rude because the crime was committed to a woman. I would have said equally nasty things about a man. I'm just afflicted with bad taste and a nasty sense of humour. I'm not sexist, am i? has anyone noticed sexist posts from me?

I'm not sure, we'll just have to wait till the next woman murders her boyfriend, chops him up, then
proceeds to cook him in her barbecue, then we'll check the posts for the comments.

I will never understand how so many jokes could have been made about that particular
crime, when I went back through all those "sickening" posts, I began to wonder just
what the ages are of these people, reminded me of the teen agers who post on the
hockey board.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
making jokes is usually considered a young thing because young people have the mental flexibility and the imagination to be humourous. because I haven't lost those qualities people accuse me of being childish, as if that were a bad thing.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
making jokes is usually considered a young thing because young people have the mental flexibility and the imagination to be humourous. because I haven't lost those qualities people accuse me of being childish, as if that were a bad thing.

Actually being a teenager is one thing, and I can ignore much of what they say , as there is
space between their ears that needs to be filled in with intelligence, but when adults post such
poor thought out jokes, thoughtless ideas about different ways of cooking your 'dead' girlfriend I
wonder, I really wonder, and I hope I am not the only one.

Last edited:

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Female politicians are also called weathergirl, dipstick, ****. Anything but equals.
Listen to the language of the legislatures: "Go back in the kitchen where you came from." "Stick to your knitting." "Pour me another tequila, Sheila, and lay down and love me again."
Just so many colourful ways used to say "No Girls Allowed."

Just remember one simple fact about any person who resorts to such comments when losing a debate or in a fools maneuver to make a point and vainly support there need to feel superior, the less intelligent the comment is the smaller the brain is that it's coming from! ;-)