Martin takes shot at Bush at summit

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Martin takes shot at Bush over softwood

MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina (CP) - Free trade in the Americas would be a powerful antidote for poverty - if everyone played by the rules, Prime Minister Paul Martin said here Friday in a veiled shot at U.S. President George W. Bush.

As the Summit of the Americas got underway in this fortified seaside town, Martin said Canada fully supports the U.S. push for an expanded Free Trade Area of the Americas. But he made a point of raising the simmering softwood lumber fight between the U.S. and Canada, just before a private meeting with Mexican President Vicente Fox.

"The fact is that President Fox, myself, President Bush, all of us believe strongly in the free trade of the Americas. But we know that it's got to be based on rules - and rules that are listened to," Martin said. More...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think martin only said what had to be said. He is going to have to say it a lot stronger and louder if he hopes to be elected again. I have the distinct feeling Bush is waiting to give the tariffs back to a conservative leader if one is elected, as a way to control.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Martin takes shot at

That could be exactly what Bush is doing, Juan. I don't think it matters though...the chances of a Conservative leader getting in before Bush is done are slim. Other than the near-push poll that the National Post did, the Harperites haven't seen much of a bump and anti-scandal bumps are notoriously short-lived.

Something I was wondering is if Martin will try to use South America and the FTAA to try to force Bush's hand. If he can get South American leaders to start pointing specifically at softwood lumber and saying, "See what he's doing to the Canadians, we can't trust Bush," it could go a long way to solving the problem.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That could work Rev

If Martin can get the right guys on side, it could work to his advantage because there are other things the U.S. needs besides oil. Chromium comes to mind.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
...no one takes Martin seriously .....he's a international joke....... he's also a hypocrite going around talking about global warming because Chretien signed an agreement.... the man has no shame.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Global warming is a sham, is it Hank?

Global warming is just scary stories we tell the childred. Is that your take on it Hank? Perhaps if you had gone past the seventh grade in school you would understand Global warming a bit better. It must bug the hell out of you when all these people are talking and you have no idea what they are talking about. Of course it couldn't have anything to do with the oil business in Alberta or the cattle business in the same province. Do a bit of reading if you are up to it, I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That could work Rev

If Martin can get the right guys on side, it could work to his advantage because there are other things the U.S. needs besides oil. Chromium comes to mind.

After the demonstrations along with the fact that all of recent elections in South America have been producing left-leaning, pro-Chavez leaders should be hint to Martin to at least try something like that.

he's also a hypocrite going around talking about global warming because Chretien signed an agreement.

It's not just an agreement, Hanky, it's an international treaty. As George Bush has been discovering lately, leaders who walk away from treaties lose all credibility internationally.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
Global warming is just scary stories we tell the childred. Is that your take on it Hank? Perhaps if you had gone past the seventh grade in school you would understand Global warming a bit better. It must bug the hell out of you when all these people are talking and you have no idea what they are talking about. Of course it couldn't have anything to do with the oil business in Alberta or the cattle business in the same province. Do a bit of reading if you are up to it, I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

....where did I say global warming was a sham? I don't see it anywhere on my post..... my post was about Martin.....maybe you should read what is said and forgoe the personal attacks Juan.....what gives

....What I said was that Paul Martin is a hypocrite because he act like the champion of Kyoto and global warming....he goes to the UN and chastizes the US while Canada has seen emissions rise as well......the was a reason Australia and the US did not sign on......

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yeah there was a reason they didn't sign on. They consider money more important than the life of the planet as we know it.

Canada did sign on though. We did the right thing. Martin needs a real plan. Hell, just encouraging conservation would help. We will meet the targets eventually though. My guess is that we'll see some improvement after the next election.

It's either that or join the US as a technological backwater populated by uneducated hicks.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
the was a reason Australia and the US did not sign on......

excuse me??? WHAT was the "reason" that the USR and the Aussie lap dog did not sign on???

By "taking a shot" at bush, Martin is keeping the issue alive ....as it should be. Given the short term memory problems that bush cabal has......they need a "reminder" now and then. ...to bring them back to some of the real issues.

and lets not forget that Martin ( flawed as he might be) is dealing with a americon group that is suffereing from HDD. (honesty deficit disorder) as well. Not exactly a cake walk.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
We will meet the targets eventually though. My guess is that we'll see some improvement after the next election.

Yeah, after how many years of doing absolutely nothing!!?? Hank's right, Martin and the Liberals have no moral high ground here. Signing a international agreement means nothing unless you actually follow through, which clearly we will not.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Prime Minister Paul Martin said here Friday in a veiled shot at U.S. President George W. Bush.

Why is it that when people in the news speak the truth we call it anything but.

It wasn't a veiled shot. It was stating a fact. Must we tolerate the dumbing down of everything?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah, after how many years of doing absolutely nothing!!?? Hank's right, Martin and the Liberals have no moral high ground here. Signing a international agreement means nothing unless you actually follow through, which clearly we will not.

We will have to follow through. We really have no choice. The next government will likely be another Liberal minority. Look for Martin to start adopting the NDP plan. That plan is economically sound and will allow us to meet our goals. In the long run we will actually profit from it, creating new industry and new markets.

I don't like the way Martin, and before him Chretien, have handled the Kyoto issue, but for people who deny science in favour of anti-scientific mumbo jumbo based on nothing more than short-term greed and blind partisanship to criticise the Liberals is silly.

If the Conservatives weren't in the pockets of the oil companies, they would look at and understand the science and that would allow them to have a real plan for meeting our Kyoto commitments. At this point, any criticism of the Liberals by the Conservatives on environmental policy is nothing but a bad joke.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Why is it that when people in the news speak the truth we call it anything but.

It wasn't a veiled shot. It was stating a fact. Must we tolerate the dumbing down of everything?

Because the Canadian press has a pro-corporate bias, so they don't want anybody to notice how badly their doctrines have failed.