Marijuana will be legal in September 2018

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Just in time for school, y'all!

And if you don't like the price, you can grow your own. :)

Marijuana legalization Bill C-45 officially passes Senate vote, heading for royal assent

The Senate has voted to accept the latest version of the government’s long-debated legal marijuana legislation, paving the way for the bill to pass into Canadian law.

The Senate voted 52-29 to approve the government’s newest version of Bill C-45 on Tuesday evening.

Bill C-45 now moves to royal assent, the final step in the legislative process. That could occur within days at the government’s discretion. The government’s desire to see home grown marijuana permitted across Canada eventually prevailed, and a proposal from the Senate to allow provinces and territories to ban them has been stripped from the final bill.

“We have witnessed today a very historic vote that ends 90 years of prohibition, that’s historic. It ends 90 years of needless criminalization, it ends a prohibition model that inhibited and discouraged public health, and community health approaches in favour of ‘just say no.’ Approaches that simply failed our young people miserably,” independent Senator Tony Dean said after the vote.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4282677/pot-bill-senate-passes/amp/

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
My nephew is a case in point of the effect of this 'harmless', 'love' drug on young people. I use him as a reference point because he's such a nice kid when he's straight. He's polite, respectful, he listens, he's engaged and he's interesting. I can always tell when he's stoned because this alter ego emerges. He's rude, willfully obnoxious, in your face, disconnected and he's boring.

He's almost 30; he's been smoking daily since he was 16. And he has not gotten any traction at all in his life. He's not financially independent; has developed no family, career, trade. He's just drifting through life. He's become the Big Lebowski. Welcome to Justin Trudeau's space cadet academy. A lost generation looms.

AncientMuse

Nominee Member
Feb 7, 2018
Canada
Just in time for school, y'all!

And if you don't like the price, you can grow your own. :)

Marijuana legalization Bill C-45 officially passes Senate vote, heading for royal assent

The Senate has voted to accept the latest version of the government’s long-debated legal marijuana legislation, paving the way for the bill to pass into Canadian law.

The Senate voted 52-29 to approve the government’s newest version of Bill C-45 on Tuesday evening.

Bill C-45 now moves to royal assent, the final step in the legislative process. That could occur within days at the government’s discretion. The government’s desire to see home grown marijuana permitted across Canada eventually prevailed, and a proposal from the Senate to allow provinces and territories to ban them has been stripped from the final bill.

“We have witnessed today a very historic vote that ends 90 years of prohibition, that’s historic. It ends 90 years of needless criminalization, it ends a prohibition model that inhibited and discouraged public health, and community health approaches in favour of ‘just say no.’ Approaches that simply failed our young people miserably,” independent Senator Tony Dean said after the vote.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4282677/pot-bill-senate-passes/amp/
Glad to see they finally got their poop in a group and made sure the legislation would be the same across the country.

It would make no sense to have different rules from one province to the next just because some asshat puritan politician in one province doesn't like the "devil's weed" and watches reruns of the 1930's movie "Reefer Madness" every Friday night to reassure themselves they're on the right side of Jesus.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, this should destroy Canada.

No. . . wait. Gay marriage already destroyed Canada.

So, guys, what's it like living in a destroyed country?

My nephew is a case in point of the effect of this 'harmless', 'love' drug on young people. I use him as a reference point because he's such a nice kid when he's straight. He's polite, respectful, he listens, he's engaged and he's interesting. I can always tell when he's stoned because this alter ego emerges. He's rude, willfully obnoxious, in your face, disconnected and he's boring.

He's almost 30; he's been smoking daily since he was 16. And he has not gotten any traction at all in his life. He's not financially independent; has developed no family, career, trade. He's just drifting through life. He's become the Big Lebowski. Welcome to Justin Trudeau's space cadet academy. A lost generation looms.

You're right! Canadian government policy should be based on "I know this guy. . ."

Reactions: mentalfloss

AncientMuse

Nominee Member
Feb 7, 2018
Canada
Well, this should destroy Canada.

No. . . wait. Gay marriage already destroyed Canada.

So, guys, what's it like living in a destroyed country?

Yeah...

Pot and gays freely running around the country...

Dear gawd ! Won't someone think of the children ?!

Not only are we at risk of catching "the gay" in this communist fascist hippy dippy pinko regime... now we're all going to be stoned when we catch it too !

[insert panic attack here]

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
New reports saying the official date is October 17th.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Great. foreign tourists will come to Canada, smell the stench of weed in our city streets, return home and tell family how Canada stinks... literally... and recommend other travel destinations. Not good for the travel industry.

On the other hand, potheads from around the world will come to Canada to stink the country up even more.

AncientMuse

Nominee Member
Feb 7, 2018
Canada
Great. foreign tourists will come to Canada, smell the stench of weed in our city streets, return home and tell family how Canada stinks... literally... and recommend other travel destinations. Not good for the travel industry.

On the other hand, potheads from around the world will come to Canada to stink the country up even more.

You should add a whole bunch of exclamation points to your post.

You know... to make sure your hyperbole gets a dose of sooper extra drama added in to ensure much needed emphasis.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Are you really silly enough to believe that people will 'flock' to Canada just to partake? I can't imagine anyone shelling out for a flights, hotel accommodations and meals just so they can vape weed or munch on some brownies.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
You should add a whole bunch of exclamation points to your post.

You know... to make sure your hyperbole gets a dose of sooper extra drama added in to ensure much needed emphasis.

I don't know if you ever visit downtown, but some parts stink already and the stuff isn't even legalized yet.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I bought an ounce from the shop on Spadina this past weekend.

They gave me a membership card and all.

Why wait till October when you can get it now?

Why are you so determined to fry your brain? My taxes will pay for it.