Manitoba cabinet minister's tweet of wife shovelling snow draws online fire, parodies

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Manitoba cabinet minister's tweet of wife shovelling snow draws online fire, parodies

“Even after a 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night, my wife still has the energy to shovel the driveway,” wrote Jon Reyes
Author of the article:
Glen Dawkins
Publishing date:
Jan 10, 2022 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read •
70 Comments
A photo tweeted by Jon Reyes, Manitoba Minister of Economic Development and Jobs, on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022 of his wife shovelling their driveway.
A photo tweeted by Jon Reyes, Manitoba Minister of Economic Development and Jobs, on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022 of his wife shovelling their driveway. Photo by Twitter /Winnipeg Sun
Article content

It may have seemed like an innocent shoutout but a tweet by a Manitoba cabinet minister is drawing online fire and parodies.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“Even after a 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night, my wife still has the energy to shovel the driveway,” tweeted Jon Reyes, Minister of Economic Development and Jobs and MLA for Waverley, on Saturday morning with an accompanying photo purporting to be of his wife shoveling their driveway. “God bless her and all our frontliners. Time to make her some breakfast.”
Regular physical activity can increase prefrontal brain function and improve cognition

Tracker dslogo

Even after a 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night, my wife still has the energy to shovel the driveway. God bless her and all our frontliners. Time to make her some breakfast. 🙏🏽 pic.twitter.com/91vahySLqO — Jon Reyes (@jonreyes204) January 8, 2022

As of Monday, the original tweet had garnered 5,439 retweets, over 20,000 quote tweets and 42,400 likes. It also garnered a Canadian Heritage Minute parody and tweets both in support and questioning his original tweet.

The tweet also earned the attention of TMZ online tabloid for Reyes’s public “atta girl” for shoveling the driveway.

“If we reverse the scenario: Firefighter comes home after 12 hour shift, starts shoveling snow, wife takes picture and says “Look how hard he works. I’m going to make him breakfast”, nobody would have bat an eye. This “story” is ridiculous,” tweeted one.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Former Winnipeg Blue Bomber and candidate to represent the Manitoba Liberals in the Fort Whyte by-election Willard Reaves tweeted along with pictures of him shoveling his driveway and with Liberal leader Dougald Lamont offering him a coffee, “I’m always amazed at how hard my wife works. She’s a nurse and works 16 hour shifts. I’m just grateful she doesn’t have to shovel the damn driveway. Thank you @DougaldLamont for the coffee.”

In response to a request for comment from CBC’s Ian Froese, Reyes tweeted, “I’m happy that she is getting the worldwide recognition she deserves, and it serves as a reminder to everyone — especially me today — that we can never do enough to show our gratitude to healthcare workers.”

gdawkins@postmedia.com

Twitter: @SunGlenDawkins
1641901904637.png

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Funny how liberal feminists have a problem with this. Yep, it's perfectly okay for a man to work 12 hours only to come home and shovel the driveway but god forbid when a woman has to do it.
It's like the stupid fucking feminists want equality for women and yet still expect them to be treated as the "weaker, fairer" sex.

Reactions: Mowich

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Funny how liberal feminists have a problem with this. Yep, it's perfectly okay for a man to work 12 hours only to come home and shovel the driveway but god forbid when a woman has to do it.
It's like the stupid fucking feminists want equality for women and yet still expect them to be treated as the "weaker, fairer" sex.
“As I pulled up to my driveway, I felt energy to shovel the snow that fell all night and into the morning. As many Manitobans and Canadians know, it’s a great workout, it allowed me to unwind, it’s refreshing after having worn an N95 mask almost the entire night, the weather was mild and it was quiet and peaceful,” she said."

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A tourist in Mexico saw a man riding a burro with his wife walking behind him. He asked the man "Why are you riding while your wife walks." The man answered "She doesn't have a burro."

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

“Even after a 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night, my wife still has the energy to shovel the driveway,” wrote Jon Reyes
Author of the article:
Glen Dawkins
Publishing date:
Jan 10, 2022 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read •
70 Comments
A photo tweeted by Jon Reyes, Manitoba Minister of Economic Development and Jobs, on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022 of his wife shovelling their driveway.
A photo tweeted by Jon Reyes, Manitoba Minister of Economic Development and Jobs, on Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022 of his wife shovelling their driveway. Photo by Twitter /Winnipeg Sun
Article content

It may have seemed like an innocent shoutout but a tweet by a Manitoba cabinet minister is drawing online fire and parodies.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“Even after a 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night, my wife still has the energy to shovel the driveway,” tweeted Jon Reyes, Minister of Economic Development and Jobs and MLA for Waverley, on Saturday morning with an accompanying photo purporting to be of his wife shoveling their driveway. “God bless her and all our frontliners. Time to make her some breakfast.”
Regular physical activity can increase prefrontal brain function and improve cognition

Tracker dslogo

Even after a 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night, my wife still has the energy to shovel the driveway. God bless her and all our frontliners. Time to make her some breakfast. 🙏🏽 pic.twitter.com/91vahySLqO — Jon Reyes (@jonreyes204) January 8, 2022

As of Monday, the original tweet had garnered 5,439 retweets, over 20,000 quote tweets and 42,400 likes. It also garnered a Canadian Heritage Minute parody and tweets both in support and questioning his original tweet.

The tweet also earned the attention of TMZ online tabloid for Reyes’s public “atta girl” for shoveling the driveway.

“If we reverse the scenario: Firefighter comes home after 12 hour shift, starts shoveling snow, wife takes picture and says “Look how hard he works. I’m going to make him breakfast”, nobody would have bat an eye. This “story” is ridiculous,” tweeted one.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

Former Winnipeg Blue Bomber and candidate to represent the Manitoba Liberals in the Fort Whyte by-election Willard Reaves tweeted along with pictures of him shoveling his driveway and with Liberal leader Dougald Lamont offering him a coffee, “I’m always amazed at how hard my wife works. She’s a nurse and works 16 hour shifts. I’m just grateful she doesn’t have to shovel the damn driveway. Thank you @DougaldLamont for the coffee.”

In response to a request for comment from CBC’s Ian Froese, Reyes tweeted, “I’m happy that she is getting the worldwide recognition she deserves, and it serves as a reminder to everyone — especially me today — that we can never do enough to show our gratitude to healthcare workers.”

gdawkins@postmedia.com

Twitter: @SunGlenDawkins
View attachment 11574
if the driveway wasnt cleared i would have prolly gotten bludgeoned with the shovel. :( ;)