Lucasfilm, UTA Drop ‘Mandalorian’ Star Gina Carano Following Offensive Social Media Posts

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'The Mandalorian' star Gina Carano learned she was fired via social media
Author of the article:
WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Publishing date:
Feb 17, 2021 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read
Gina Carano arrives for Disney+ World Premiere of "The Mandalorian" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood on Nov. 13, 2019. Photo by NICK AGRO /AFP via Getty Images
Article content

Fired The Mandalorian star Gina Carano found out she had been dismissed by Lucasfilm bosses via social media.

The film chiefs revealed the former stuntwoman was “no longer an employee” after she came under fire for comparing being conservative in America to the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany, and she reveals executives didn’t even contact her to tell her she was gone.

In a new interview with journalist Bari Weiss, she explains she found out she was no longer attached to the hit Disney+ series “through social media, like everyone else.”

Carano also told the former New York Times writer Disney bosses previously barred her from doing any press for The Mandalorian’s second season following her ill-advised mockery of pronoun usage.

“Earlier on last year before The Mandalorian came out, they wanted me to use their exact wording for an apology over pronoun usage. I declined and offered a statement in my own words,” Gina says. “I made (it) clear I wanted nothing to do with mocking the transgender community, and was just drawing attention to the abuse of the mob in forcing people to put pronouns in their bio.”
Advertisement
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

She finally caved in to Disney pressure, stating: “I didn’t want to take away from the hard work of everyone who worked on the project, so I said, ‘OK’. That was the last time I was contacted about any type of public statement or apology from Lucasfilm.”

Carano has since removed the Instagram post, in which she compared conservatives and persecuted Jews during the Second World War.

Disney and Lucasfilm bosses released a joint statement last week, which read: “Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Gina Carano hits out at Disney+ and Lucasfilm bosses for 'bullying'
Author of the article:WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Publishing date:Feb 22, 2021 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read

Gina Carano arrives for Disney+ World Premiere of "The Mandalorian" at El Capitan theatre in Hollywood on Nov. 13, 2019. PHOTO BY NICK AGRO /AFP via Getty Images
Article content
Actress Gina Carano has accused bosses at Disney+ and Lucasfilm of bullying their talent after she was fired from The Mandalorian for her controversial political views.

The former mixed martial arts star was dropped from the Star Wars spin-off series earlier this month after comparing being conservative in America to the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany.

She recently claimed she found out she no longer had a job “through social media, like everyone else,” and now Carano has criticized platform officials for their alleged treatment of staff members.

“I’ve been through so much, and I’ve seen so much now, clearly, of the bullying that’s been taking place, and I saw it before,” Carano told conservative news commentator Ben Shapiro of The Daily Wire.

“I’m not the only one that’s ever been bullied by this company, and I know that so deeply…

“I could share a story which would turn things around in the media but I can’t because it would sell out a friend…,” she added. “Everyone is afraid of losing their job.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Carano claims she was “prepared at any point to be let go” because she already felt like she was being “head-hunted” for her outspoken nature, insisting her firing was “only a matter of time.”

“They’re making it very obvious through their employees who were coming for me, and so I was like, ‘I’m going to go down swinging and I’m going to stay true to myself,’” the defiant actress shared.

Carano also used her first TV interview since her firing to address the social media post which landed her in trouble, making it clear she was actually “so inspired by the gentle spirit of the Jewish people going through” the Holocaust, and only shared the viral post in an effort to “bring people together,” and highlight how destructive it can be to society with “people tearing each other apart.”

And although she has no intention of apologizing for her actions, Carano admits dealing with the backlash has been “one of the hardest things” she has ever faced.

“I do want people to know that this has not been easy,” she said. “I’m a human being, I have so much to learn and grow, and I am. I am deeply understanding, it’s like the curtains got pulled and I’m seeing so much.”

“My body is still shaking,” she added. “It’s devastating, but the thought of this happening to anybody else, especially to somebody who could not handle this the way I can, no, they (Disney+ and Lucasfilm bosses) don’t get to do that. They don’t get to make people feel like that.”

Company officials have yet to respond to Carano’s latest comments, which emerge shortly after revealing she was moving on from The Mandalorian drama by setting up her own film with Shapiro’s production company.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Bill Burr defends The Mandalorian co-star Gina Carano after Disney firing
Author of the article:WENN - World Entertainment News Network
Publishing date:Mar 03, 2021 • 15 hours ago • 2 minute read • comment bubble17 Comments
Bill Burr was just awesome in The Mandalorian — Chapter 15: The Believer.
Bill Burr was just awesome in The Mandalorian — Chapter 15: The Believer. PHOTO BY SUPPLIED PHOTO /Postmedia files
Article content
Comedian Bill Burr has jumped to the defence of his The Mandalorian co-star Gina Carano after she was fired from the Disney+ show for sharing her radical beliefs.

The stuntwoman-turned-actress was let go from the Star Wars spin-off last month after comparing life as a conservative in modern America to that of a Jew in Nazi Germany on social media. This came a year after she was asked to apologize for remarks she made about COVID-19.

But Burr, who played Mayfeld in The Mandalorian, insists her personal comments did not warrant termination from the show.

“It’s a weird time…,” Bill said on his popular podcast. “Unless she did some truly horrible s*** or said overtly racist s***… I don’t know. I think there is just too many channels (sic). And then you gotta do sensational s***… I’m on that f***ing show. Now, I gotta watch what the f*** I say.”

Heaping praise on his fired co-star, Burr added, “She was an absolute sweetheart. Super nice f***ing person…. Somehow, someone will take this video and they’ll make me say something else and try to get rid of my bald action figure… It’s how it is out there. It’s f***ing crazy times. People just waiting, laying in the weeds.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Following her firing, Carano accused bosses at Disney+ and Lucasfilm of bullying their talent and claimed she found out she no longer had a job “through social media, like everyone else.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Gina Carano poses at the premiere for the television series
EDITORIAL: The real Gina Carano problem
Gina Carano arrives for Disney+ World Premiere of
Gina Carano hits out at Disney+ and
Gina Carano arrives for the World Premiere of
Lucasfilm cans 'The Mandalorian' star Gina Carano over 'abhorrent' social media posts

“I’ve been through so much, and I’ve seen so much now, clearly, of the bullying that’s been taking place, and I saw it before,” Carano told conservative news commentator Ben Shapiro of The Daily Wire. “I’m not the only one that’s ever been bullied by this company, and I know that so deeply…

“I could share a story which would turn things around in the media but I can’t because it would sell out a friend… Everyone is afraid of losing their job.”

Carano said she was “prepared at any point to be let go” because she felt she was being “head-hunted” for her outspoken nature, insisting her firing was “only a matter of time.”

“They’re making it very obvious through their employees who were coming for me, and so I was like, ‘I’m going to go down swinging and I’m going to stay true to myself,’” the defiant actress shared.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Fired Gina Carano getting Emmy push for 'The Mandalorian'
Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:May 10, 2021 • 11 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Gina Carano arrives for the World Premiere of "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker," the highly anticipated conclusion of the Skywalker saga on Dec. 16, 2019 in Hollywood, Calif.
Gina Carano arrives for the World Premiere of "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker," the highly anticipated conclusion of the Skywalker saga on Dec. 16, 2019 in Hollywood, Calif. PHOTO BY JESSE GRANT /Getty Images for Disney
Article content
The Mandalorian star Gina Carano might be banished from the Star Wars galaxy, but that isn’t stopping Lucasfilm from pushing the controversial actress for an Emmy Award.

According to CNET, Carano, who was canned following controversial social media posts in February, is getting a “for your consideration” push in the Best Supporting Actress category.

Carano, who played Cara Dune on the Disney+ series, ran afoul of the Walt Disney Company-owned movie studio after she shared social media posts that drew parallels between the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany and Americans who hold conservative viewpoints.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews,” the 39-year-old shared on her Instagram story. “How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

Gina Carano in Lucasfilm’s “The Mandalorian.”
Gina Carano in Lucasfilm’s “The Mandalorian.” PHOTO BY MELINDA SUE GORDON /Disney/Supplied
“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” the company said in a statement after #FireGinaCarano became a trending topic on social media. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

The former MMA fighter addressed the fallout saying, “I’ve got every single big publication saying she’s comparing conservatives and Republicans to this and that’s not really what I was doing … I have love for everyone. I’m not a hateful person.”

Carano, an avid supporter of former U.S. President Donald Trump, had previously come under fire for questioning mask-wearing amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In a Twitter post from November, she also claimed there had been voter fraud during the 2020 presidential election.

“We need to clean up the election process so we are not left feeling the way we do today,” she wrote. “Put laws in place that protect us against voter fraud. Investigate every state. Film the counting. Flush out the fake votes. Require ID. Make Voter Fraud end in 2020. Fix the system.”

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content

Since her firing from the Star Wars spinoff, Carano has announced she will produce and star in an upcoming film for The Daily Wire website, which was co-founded by conservative political commentator Ben Shapiro.

“I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before,” she said in a statement. “They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

Reactions: taxslave

SekyroCred

Time Out
Sep 22, 2022
According to insiders, Gina Carano does not allow the showrunner of "Mandalorian" Jon Favreau to be fired, who tries not to get involved in conflicts. However, the passive behavior of the Mickey Mouse house, which cares about the image, can provoke a new attack.

SekyroCred

Time Out
Sep 22, 2022
According to insiders, Gina Carano does not allow the showrunner of "Mandalorian" Jon Favreau to be fired, who tries not to get involved in conflicts. However, the passive behavior of the Mickey Mouse house, which cares about the image, can provoke a new attack.
Do not forget that Walt Disney himself was accused of anti-Semitism and support for the regime of Adolf Hitler, who was not afraid to invite director Leni Riefenstahl to his studio immediately after Kristallnacht. We created an account to support Gina and used the opportunities here to create a logo for our movement. Who's with us?

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Gina Carano sues Disney over ‘Mandalorian’ firing with help from Elon Musk
'It has been difficult to move forward with the lies & labels stuck on me,' former Star Wars actress says

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Feb 06, 2024 • Last updated 2 days ago • 4 minute read

Gina Carano is suing Disney and Lucasfilm, accusing the company of discrimination and wrongful termination, after she was fired from The Mandalorian for voicing right-wing opinion on social media.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Elon Musk is helping pay Carano’s legal costs after he pledged to help users of X (formerly Twitter) who claim they have been persecuted for their activity on his platform.

In a complaint filed in California federal court, Carano is seeking an order that would force Lucasfilm to recast her after she was canned in February 2021.

In a statement, X’s head of business operations, Joe Benarroch told the Hollywood Reporter, “As a sign of X Corp’s commitment to free speech, we’re proud to provide financial support for Gina Carano’s lawsuit, empowering her to seek vindication of her free speech rights on X and the ability to work without bullying, harassment, or discrimination.”

On X, Carano thanked Musk “for giving me an opportunity to bring my case to light.”

“The truth is I was being hunted down from everything I posted to every post I liked because I was not in line with the acceptable narrative of the time,” Carano wrote. “My words were consistently twisted to demonize & dehumanize me as an alt-right-wing extremist. It was a bullying smear campaign aimed at silencing, destroying & making an example out of me.”

Carano, who played Cara Dune on the Disney+ series, ran afoul of the Walt Disney Co.-owned movie studio after she shared social media posts that drew parallels between the persecution of Jews in Nazi Germany and Americans who hold conservative viewpoints.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews,” the 41-year-old shared on her Instagram story. “How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?”

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future,” the company said in a statement after #FireGinaCarano became a trending topic on social media. “Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

The former MMA fighter addressed the fallout, saying, “I’ve got every single big publication saying she’s comparing conservatives and Republicans to this and that’s not really what I was doing … I have love for everyone. I’m not a hateful person.”

Carano, an avid supporter of former U.S. President Donald Trump, had previously come under fire for questioning mask-wearing amid the COVID-19 pandemic. In a Twitter post from November, she also claimed there had been voter fraud during the 2020 presidential election.

“We need to clean up the election process so we are not left feeling the way we do today,” she wrote. “Put laws in place that protect us against voter fraud. Investigate every state. Film the counting. Flush out the fake votes. Require ID. Make Voter Fraud end in 2020. Fix the system.”

In her post to X, Carano said she used her “own words, not with aggression but with respect & the occasional comedy to keep the mood light in dark times.”

Carano said that Disney and Lucasfilm “turned a blind eye to her male co-stars, who allegedly made offensive and denigrating posts directed towards Republicans.” She cites a 2017 social media post from Pedro Pascal in which he compared former president Donald Trump to Hitler.

“Why then were my male co-stars permitted to speak without harassment & re-education courses or termination, but I was not afforded the same right to exercise my freedom of speech?” she asked.

For his part, Musk invited others to the cause, sharing Carano’s message and writing, “Please let us know if you would like to join the lawsuit against Disney.”

Carano’s suit goes on to allege studio bosses demanded a public apology and tried to force Carano into meeting with a representative of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination.

“Defendants went so far as to try and convince Carano’s publicist to force Carano to issue a statement admitting to mocking or insulting an entire group of people, which Carano had never done,” the complaint added.

Carano ended her social media message Tuesday by telling fans she wants to “continue my journey of creating & participating in storytelling.

“It has been difficult to move forward with the lies & labels stuck on me, backed & encouraged by the most powerful entertainment company in the world,” she wrote. “I am grateful someone has come to my defence in such a powerful way & look forward to clearing my name.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

X: @markhdaniell