Loved ones await news, survivors flee after condo building partially collapses near Miami

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
  • Sad
Reactions: Mowich and taxslave

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Lots of tear jerking in the article but zero info on possible cause. From the picture it looks like it was built with bribes instead of rebar.

The ground in Miami is so soft and pores built on dead coral. But I will bet you 10 to 1 Climate Change will be the cause before this is all over.

Oh and they call it "Climate Gentrification" Biden's reason for bring all of Central America to the USA

Reactions: taxslave

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Considered informed opinion from an engineer of my acquaintance

The outside balconies of the middle building collapsed first and took out the columns of the entire building that collapsed. A sinkhole didn't cause the building to collapse, but may have caused the balconies to collapse. The entire state is built on limestone, which dissolves in rainwater.

I think it's a foundation failure that caused the balconies to collapse. There was a lawsuit by the condo dwellers about cracks in their walls. The whole complex was settling for 40 years. But the foundation engineer that stamped it in 1980 will not be to blame. It is the nature of foundation engineering. I'm sure they drilled a few holes and found no karst, and built a foundation four times stronger than necessary, as per standard. And his stamp came with a clause indemnifying him about unseen hazards under the building, because you can only know what's down there right where you do your test drilling.

Who will be liable are the building inspectors and engineers who inspected the building for the lawsuit over the last five years and didn't order everybody out.