Let's learn about this NAACP Rachel Dolezal shall we...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
PHOTO EXCLUSIVE: ‘I consider myself to be black and I don’t give two sh*ts what you think’: Defiant NAACP leader is pictured for the first time since her white parents’ said she is pretending to be black

• Rachel Dolezal, 37,was pictured outside her home Friday for the first time since scandal erupted over her misrepresentation of her race
  • She also responded to her detractors in a new interview, saying; 'What I'd say to them is "I don't give two s***s what you guys think"'
  • She then added; 'I do consider myself to be black'
  • Her parents revealed Thursday she started 'disguising herself' as black in 2007 and no longer speaks to them because they will 'ruin her image'
  • She has been a civil rights activist in Idaho and Eastern Washington for years and also teaches Africana Studies at Eastern Washington University
  • She is facing a city ethics investigation after identifying herself as black in an application to serve on a local police ombudsman commission

mo'

Rachel Dolezal pictured after white parents said she is pretending to be black | Daily Mail Online

Sheila Gunn Reid ‏@SheilaGunnReid

It would seem #RachelDolezal is having her J-Roc "come to Jesus" moment

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Okayyyyyyy

The world, and most of the people in it, are apparently quite fukked up.

That's pretty much all I can think of to say about this.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
she could at least gain 50 lbs and change her name to something like... Fatai Udumi Wonsai...

then she'll get herself a nice black man to inoculate her fertile culture.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Rachel Dolezal is 'pimping blackness,' says prominent black Canadian scholar
By Sheena Goodyear, Postmedia Network First posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 12:13 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 12, 2015 06:06 PM EDT
That Rachel Dolezal remains the president of the Spokane, Wash., branch of the NAACP despite revelations she's a white woman who fabricated her black identity is raising some eyebrows north of the border.
"I think this woman is bogus," Afua Cooper, a Dalhousie University professor who studies the Canadian black identity and founded the Black Canadian Studies Association, told Postmedia Network by e-mail.
"As a black woman, I cannot one day decide to be white and head up a white organization. ... This Rachel person has commodified blackness. Shame. In my opinion, she is pimping blackness. She should resign and stop the fraud."
But the National Association For The Advancement of Coloured People stands by Dolezal, boasting in a statement Friday about its "proud tradition of receiving support from people of all faiths, races, colours and creeds."
It's true that everyone should feel encouraged to fight for civil rights, says Cedric Richards, a black man and a representative on the London, Ont., city council's youth advisory board.
But, he adds, people's activism ought to be done openly and honestly.
"I prefer that people tell the story from their standing in life and not pass themselves off as someone else," he said. "Being black is more than dreadlocks and afros and rap music and level of skin colour."
The bizarre story about Dolezal, who teaches African-American studies at Eastern Washington University, broke when CNN-affiliate KXLY found her birth certificate, which says she was born to Caucasian parents, and dug up a high school photo of her with pale skin, freckles and straight, blonde hair.
"I can't say I'm terribly surprised," Charmaine Nelson, co-founder of the Black Canadian Studies Association, said in an e-mail.
Nelson, a McGill University art history and communications professor who focuses on black feminist scholarship and critical race theory, says may white people idealize blackness as "cool," and that "normalization of whiteness has led to many whites feeling or actually being de-ethnicized."
Like Richards, she supports the inclusion of everyone in anti-racist organizations, and within black academia, too.
"That said, the fact that she did not disclose her race and that she has allegedly worked to pass herself off as a black or mixed-race woman is definitely problematic since her racial performance has no doubt allowed her to gain credibility has a person who has experienced racism and whose practice and activism comes from her identity," she said. "This is, of course, not the case."
IS 'TRANSRACIAL' A THING?
The scandal has raised debate in Spokane, and across the U.S., about whether being "transracial" — identifying as a member of a different race — is possible.
The word "transracial" exists, but this marks the first time it's been used to describe passing as a member of another race. (Transracial adoption, for example, is when someone adopts a child of another race.)
The theory, spouted by celebrities such as Mia Farrow, was pushed on forums like Reddit and 4Chan on Friday, but many black and transgender people have openly dismissed it.
Trans writer KT Hache said on Twitter the phenomenon has been made up "to attack" trans people.
Many were quick to point out that they can't conveniently avoid anti-black discrimination just by identifying as white.
Rachel Dolezal is 'pimping blackness,' says prominent black Canadian scholar | W

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
There are a lot of phonies playing the race card.

Being a member of an officially designated 'victims' group.. can win you immediate acceptance in certain political circles, unquestioned 'hero' status in the media.. and it can be profitable.

There are all types representing themselves as black, or aboriginal or homosexual (transgender whatever).. cause that's where the money is. Just ask Bruce Jenner.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
wow...mental illness.... comes in every form imaginable...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Tempest in a teapot NAACP says you can be colour or white or anything else and still
be on the executive so who cares. Sorry to tell you but Grey Owl we watched on school
film wasn't Indian either he was British we get all caught up on colours and labels and
we miss the message

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Rachel Dolezal reportedly told adopted black brother: ‘Don’t blow my cover’
Postmedia Network
First posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 05:29 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, June 13, 2015 08:19 PM EDT
Rachel Dolezal told her adopted black brother not to out her as a white woman, Buzzfeed news reports.
“She just told me, ‘Over here, I’m going to be considered black, and I have a black father. Don’t blow my cover,’” Ezra Dolezal, 22, told the Buzzfeed.
She also told him to tell people that she and her adopted black siblings are blood relations.
Rachel, the president of the Spokane, Wash., branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, made international headlines last week when she was outed as a white woman with two white parents.
The NAACP has stood behind her, even after news outlets started running photos usually curly-haired and caramel-skinned African studies professor showing her natural pale complexion and straight, golden locks.
Ezra told Buzzfeed that Rachel didn’t give “any logical explanation” for her unusual request, but that she’d fallen out with their parents and wanted to start a new life elsewhere
“But she took it to the ultimate extreme,” Ezra said. “Not only did she move out to Spokane, but she created a whole new identity for herself.”
She started to change herself physically about six years ago, he told Buzzfeed, perming her hair and using skin products to appear “darker and darker.” She knew how to keep up her look because she’d spent years doing her adopted black sister’s hair, Ezra said.
But the internal changes started much earlier than that, he said, when Rachel studied fine art at Howard University.
“Because of her work in African-American art, they thought she was a black student during her application, but they ended up with a white person.”
She became isolated and angry, and that anger turned to hate — for white people.
“It’s like what psychologists call self-hating,” Ezra said. “She had no reason not to like herself being white. She was an awesome artist and she could have accomplished everything she did, if she had stayed exactly the same.”
That hate extended to their parents, Ezra said, whom Rachel believes are racist and abusive. She managed to obtain legal custody of one of her siblings, Izaiah in 2010, and now passes him off as her birth son.
Ezra admits his parents were harsh and used corporal punishment, though he denies Rachel’s allegations they were abusive. And he was once close with his sister, he now describes her ruse as a “slap in the face” to African-Americans.
“She puts dark makeup on her face and says she black,” he said. “It’s basically blackface.”
Rachel has maintained in recent days that she considers herself black.
She's expected to issue an official statement on Monday.
Rachel Dolezal reportedly told adopted black brother: ‘Don’t blow my cover’ | Wo

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Tempest in a teapot NAACP says you can be colour or white or anything else and still
be on the executive so who cares. Sorry to tell you but Grey Owl we watched on school
film wasn't Indian either he was British we get all caught up on colours and labels and
we miss the message
We aren't talking about a white person being appointed to the position here. We're talking about a white person pretending to be black, right down to checking the affirmative action box on an application, to get preferential treatment.

That's completely unethical no matter how much manure you want to white wash it with.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why is it that the people who can't shut up about making race a thing being wrong are the first ones to jump all over making race a thing?

Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why is it that the people who can't shut up about making race a thing being wrong are the first ones to jump all over making race a thing?

Or am I looking at this the wrong way?
No, you nailed it.

Jackson, Sharpton. Two of the biggest bags of sh!t on the planet, would make fine examples.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No, you nailed it.

Jackson, Sharpton. Two of the biggest bags of sh!t on the planet, would make fine examples.

It just seems like such a shame to me. I mean, I know that we've come a long way from where we've been in the past certainly, but there are still some within society that continue to be marginalized because of race, colour, religion, gender, etc.

It would be nice if those who champion the cause against such things weren't always such self-involved narcissists.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It just seems like such a shame to me. I mean, I know that we've come a long way from where we've been in the past certainly, but there are still some within society that continue to be marginalized because of race, colour, religion, gender, etc.
I have to disagree with the latter part of your statement.

I think people are only marginalized by themselves. Their behaviour, their dress, their mannerism, their level of education, their sloth, their own prejudices.

If you believe you're being held down by the man, you will be. You'll look for ways to sabotage your own life to make it so.

It would be nice if those who champion the cause against such things weren't always such self-involved narcissists.
A good start would be for all of them to give themselves shotgun facials.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have to disagree with the latter part of your statement.

I think people are only marginalized by themselves. Their behaviour, their dress, their mannerism, their level of education, their sloth, their own prejudices.

If you believe you're being held down by the man, you will be. You'll look for ways to sabotage your own life to make it so.

I get that and I believe in the vast majority, 99% of the cases, that's absolutely true. But I also know there is very real prejudice and racism out there, discrimination is not completely a thing of the past and that there may indeed be times when someone can use a helping hand to get them past that.

A good start would be for all of them to give themselves shotgun facials.
Well that's a permanent solution. 8O

Unfortunately real life is not Greek mythology and we can't count on someone's own narcissism to be their undoing.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I get that and I believe in the vast majority, 99% of the cases, that's absolutely true. But I also know there is very real prejudice and racism out there, discrimination is not completely a thing of the past and that there may indeed be times when someone can use a helping hand to get them past that.
I can agree to that.

Well that's a permanent solution. 8O
And a good one.

Unfortunately real life is not Greek mythology and we can't count on someone's own narcissism to be their undoing.
Dare to dream.