Legalize tasers!

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The government should allow anyone with a clean police record (unless prohibited by a judge for a valid reason) who passes a taser course to receive a life-long taser licence (unless revoked by a judge for a valid reason) that would allow him to buy a taser just by showing his licence to the seller.

The Bushie case is a sad one, but to be fair, what other option did the farmer have? If we're going to ban tasers, then the state itself is at least partly responsible for his death.

Even if tasers were legal, I'd still defend the farmer's right to use a firearm. Maybe he still wouldn't own a taser or couldn't find it or had't charged it at the time or feared the intruder had a firearm that could reach further than a taser could, or he just doesn't trust the reliability of tasers, etc.

However, by making it easier for a person to buy a taser, we'd be increasing at least somewhat the probability he could opt for a taser instead of a firearm.

A friend of mine was once robbed at knifepoint. A taser might be no match for a firearm but it might equalize a fight against a knife.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I seem to recall way back when tazers came out that the pol ice were against citizens owning them. Probably union jurisdiction. By aprehending a criminal yourself is taking away a cops job. Of course if they did their job properly ......

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I seem to recall way back when tazers came out that the pol ice were against citizens owning them. Probably union jurisdiction. By aprehending a criminal yourself is taking away a cops job. Of course if they did their job properly ......

A cop can't be everywhere all of the time.

Also, a police taser has a ten metre reach, some personal tasers have a four or five metre reach. Just restrict the former to police officers only. Then the police should have little reason to fear a taser used against them since their taser would have a longer reach anyway.

I own no firearm myself and have no interest either (I live in the city, far from bear country and my house is fully covered with real security cameras). I'm not even interested in tasers either, at least not for myself.

That said, if it was legal, I'd seriously consider sending my wife on a taser course, pay for her licence, and then help her buy a taser. I'd even take the training to get the licence just so I could buy one for her myself.

I bet there are lots of husbands like me, so with more women armed, would be robbers would think twice about pulling a knife on a woman.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It's also ridiculous that I can legally obtain a hunting rifle more easily than I can a taser.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I understand the concern that a taser owner might under-estimate its potential lethalness. That's why I proposed mandatory training before they get a licence to buy or own one, to ensure they know to use it only in legitimate defence and while applying minimal force (i.e. don't hold your finger down on the trigger, one zap is enough already).

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I seem to recall way back when tazers came out that the pol ice were against citizens owning them. Probably union jurisdiction. By aprehending a criminal yourself is taking away a cops job. Of course if they were allowed to do their job properly ......

Fixed for accuracy.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Prohibiting tasers makes no sense from the point of view of a robber himself. If I were a robber, I'd far rather get tazed by an illegal taser than shot by a legal hunting rifle. What about you?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
Swords should be totally legal if they aren't already. Afte all, a sword has a pretty limited range.