JK Rowling's 'eighth Harry Potter story' will be published this summer

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When it was announced that JK Rowling would be setting pen to paper to tell the world what happened after Harry Potter left Hogwarts, some of her fans were disappointed that her efforts would only make it to the stage, rather than in another novel.

Now they may be satisfied: the script of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, parts I and II, will be published as a book this summer. Rowling's first Potter publication in eight years will be available to fans at midnight on July 31: Harry Potter's birthday (and that of JK Rowling).

The publication won't be a novel, as many fans had hoped, but will allow those who haven't managed to get hold of tickets to the sold out, two-part production of the play, which opens on July 30, to read it instead. The script is co-written by Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany.

With over 450 million copies sold worldwide, the Harry Potter books are the best-selling book series in history.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

By Alice Vincent
10 February 2016
The Telegraph

When it was announced that JK Rowling would be setting pen to paper to tell the world what happened after Harry Potter left Hogwarts, some of her fans were disappointed that her efforts would only make it to the stage, rather than in another novel.

Now they may be satisfied: the script of Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, parts I and II, will be published as a book this summer. Rowling's first Potter publication in eight years will be available to fans at midnight on July 31: Harry Potter's birthday.

The publication won't be a novel, as many fans had hoped, but will allow those who haven't managed to get hold of tickets to the sold out, two-part production of the play, which opens on July 30, to read it instead. The script is co-written by Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany.

We either need The Cursed Child tour or a book version of it. #NotLivingInLondonProblems
— Jean Fuentes (@jeanmafuentes) November 29, 2015

@jk_rowling will the cursed child ever be published as a book? I really want to know what happens but I don't live in London 2 see the play!
— Kaylin Beach (@_knbea) November 30, 2015

I hope they make Harry Potter and the Cursed Child into a book and movies since I don't live in London and can't see the play!!
— Kelly Wap (@its_Kelz_) January 29, 2016

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child is being dubbed as 'the eighth story' and is set 19 years after her seventh, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in which Harry and his friends Ron and Hermione save Hogwarts and the wizarding world from the dark magic of Lord Voldemort, and leave school.

A description reads: "It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places."

The news comes after rumours in the Harry Potter fandom that publication was underway. In late January, fansite The Rowling Library reported that "at least two publishers are trying to get the rights to publish the script play."

Harry Potter author JK Rowling

The Little, Brown Book Group were the successful publishers. CEO David Shelley said: "We are so thrilled to be publishing the script of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. JK Rowling and her team have received a huge number of appeals from fans who can't be in London to see the play and who would like to read the play in book format – and so we are absolutely delighted to be able to make it available for them."

Rowling retweeted the update on the publisher's account, but is yet to discuss the new book in her own update. A statement from the publishers said that she won't be doing any publicity or signings following the release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Little, Brown is thrilled to publish the #CursedChild script book https://t.co/3ToUeDApDk pic.twitter.com/sBt6PlA50g
— Little, Brown UK (@LittleBrownUK) February 10, 2016

Understandably, the fans are fairly pleased about all of this:

OMG THE SCRIPT OF HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD IS COMING OUT AS A BOOK
SO EXCITED
THANKS J.K
— dgas (@mearwy) February 10, 2016

CURSED CHILD WILL BE A BOOK CURSED CHILD WILL BE A BOOK CURSED CHILD WILL BE A BOOK
— Taylah (@TaylahTalks) February 10, 2016

AN EIGHT HARRY POTTER BOOK IS COMING!!!!!!!!! HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD WILL BE PUBLISHED IN JULY!!! (Napaka-bipolar ng tweets ko)
— Kathlyn (@kathlynguinto) February 10, 2016

New Harry Potter book here I come #CursedChild
— 尼琦塔 (@niki_szt) February 10, 2016

When the @MischiefMgmt creative team finds out about #CursedChild as #Book8 pic.twitter.com/aFGQw2VjTn
— AlizaTweets (@AlizaTweets) February 10, 2016

Last edited: