Ignatieff proposal risks boosting seasonal unemployment

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
From the looks of the surplus, we could pay people to go to school if it got them a steady job. If a person has the talent, he/she shouldn't be penalized because they can't afford to go to school. I don't propose that we pay for university degrees but there are diploma courses at the tech schools and community colleges that could be a real help to get a job. Treat it as some kind of student loan where the student might pay back part of the money.
Yup. I think this is a good idea. And it depends upon who implements it as to its success, too. The NDP in BC caused an awful lot of job losses and then they paid for education for the workers to be retrained. However, they expected people who were skilled at falling trees earning $300 or $400 a day to be retrained as service workers in hotels and stuff working for minimum wage. Completely unrealistic.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Funny, all this time we have worked and been able to keep up with daily living costs and yet have some left over to invest or save. I would have thought that EI would cover daily living costs. People live beyond their means these days. Why should someone get their living expenses paid for and yet have more in their check to go buy booze and cigarettes? I understood that EI is a safety net, not a source of income.

My sentiment exactly. If they need help finding employment, give them a school voucher so they can upgrade their skills, but otherwise they should get just enough money to live.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Might teach people to keep a stash for emergencies instead of buying that boat, Sony Playstation, or turning the carport into a garage.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Might teach people to keep a stash for emergencies instead of buying that boat, Sony Playstation, or turning the carport into a garage.

Good point. Some people have not had the chance of learning basic home economics, or other important basic home skills we take for granted. Their parents might not have taught them what they'd taught us. So let's give them that chance to finally learn it.