If You Truly Value Your Privacy, Read This.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The era of the cell phone and tablet is also the end of privacy. Anyone, and I mean anyone can trace where you are and where you've been minute by minute right down to the inch.

Americans (nor Canadians) would ever consent to a government directive that all citizens carry a device that broadcast, in real time, their physical location and archived that information in repositories that could be shared among powerful, faceless institutions. Instead, we have been lulled into doing it voluntarily by misleading companies.
If a mobile phone is turned on, chances are its location is collected in a spreadsheet somewhere. What does it feel like to see that archive? We went to Pasadena to find out.

It's a long read but it's also a real eye opener for those of you who have those devices.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...artphone-spying.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Scary.
So, what are our options other than not owning a cellphone :(
Keep your apps to a minimum and keep them turned off/disabled unless you're actually using them at that moment. But with 5G coming out, even that won't matter anymore. They'll just be able to comprehensively track your phone's signal, apps or not.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Google always knows where you are.

When you turn off your location services google no longer sells your info to anyone - they say.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Google always knows where you are.

When you turn off your location services google no longer sells your info to anyone - they say.
Bullshite
My location according to google

It knows the location of your internet server, I actualy live 150 miles away in Kapuskasing

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Keep your apps to a minimum and keep them turned off/disabled unless you're actually using them at that moment. But with 5G coming out, even that won't matter anymore. They'll just be able to comprehensively track your phone's signal, apps or not.
Just disable location services on your cell phone
But then you can't be located in an emergency or if you loose your cell phone.

Judy7

Feb 3, 2020
I don't usually allow GPS but I guess it's also time to clear my phone of most unnecessary apps.
Somehow, even with all our efforts, I still think the government would be able to track any of us if they wanted to.

LewisScott

Nominee Member
Dec 7, 2020
I know that a smartphone is an evil, but it is a necessary evil and even a normal feature phone could get you traced. So no point of GPS on or off because if your smartphone is switched on, you are traceable. I have heard some people saying that 5G would make things more secure and brands like mediatek are promoting their products with such a marketing tagline. However, not likely that human lives would be completely private and secure.

Reactions: taxslave