I don't like the Canadian national anthem

eskavan

Apr 12, 2011
Time to move to a place with an anthem that rouses your spirit - Though they may not have the same laws, protections, economy, living standards, freedom that we have. Though you could balance that off by playing your new National Anthem.

Humor aside as the above is meant to be, and not insulting.
Most National Anthems are old as they were written some time ago, so what. Tradition. Do you recall the debate over changing the Flag?
Yup, and again that's exactly why I don't actually feel the anthem should be changed, just that, artistically speaking (and only artistically speaking) it could be a lot better.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Frankly i think with some lyrical adjustments, The Maple Leaf Forever, is a more flexible tune.. and older than O Canada.

Frankly any change now though would see the Politically Correct fanatics emerge with their demands of an utterly insipid, neutered, and 'faith free' version of anything.. like their demands that O Canada remove "in thy son's command".. and "God save our land" :rolleyes:

I've always liked The Maple Leaf Forever, we used to sing it in school after God Save the Queen. I think of it as being the back-up to Oh Canada........kind of like God Bless America is back-up for the Star Spangled Banner. :smile:

Leave our national hockey war cry as is, I say!

You betcha, Kreskin. Nothing sends shivers down my spine faster then hearing the Vancouver Canucks fans belting out our national anthem no matter what stadium they find themselves in. LOL! Heck, I get goose bumps just thinking about listening to them tonight.

Like the song, especially when we compare it to the other one. I just see the U.S one as good as our.

After listening to both the US and Canadian anthems countless times during the NHL play-offs, I have come to the conclusion that both anthems reflect their countries ideals pretty well. The U.S. anthem is about bombs and rockets and light shows. The Canadian anthem is about love for our land - our country. It is the land that inspires us Canadians. It is the flag and fighting for it that inspires Americans. IMHO.