I dont care about the immigrants

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
You f*ck it. I'm tired and going to bed.

Naw man

If we don't stop it now our collective assholes will be throbbing for years..

We are not Sweden, the size of southern Ontario where the distances are nothing compared to what our industries have to deal with here in Canada.

Take the population of Poland and put it in Russia and expect the same results as a country like Sweden in the context of implementing a Carbon Tax. That's some heavy mass transit...

A derp a derp a derrrrr

Last edited:

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Naw man
If we don't stop it now our collective assholes will be throbbing for years..
We are not Sweden, the size of southern Ontario where the distances are nothing compared to what our industries have to deal with here in Canada.
Take the population of Poland and put it in Russia and expect the same results as a country like Sweden in the context of implementing a Carbon Tax. That's some heavy mass transit...
A derp a derp a derrrrr
Oh I know. I've said for a while that if we switched countries with a place that had a similar size population and a lower per capita emissions rate, their rate would go up here as ours went down there. We have big-ass country with a small population all spread out with long distances between major population centers.

And Canada has already shown that stuff like this can be handled without a national tax grab. Back before environmental regulations were very strict, The Sudbury INCO facility was North America's largest air polluter accounting for 5% of the continent's total air pollution. Regulations and not a national tax knocked that pollution down considerably. What's completely f*cked is the largest GHG emitters in Canada are actually exempt from the carbon tax. At least for a few years anyway. In fact most oil sector emissions are exempt from the tax. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/12/10/canada-oil-sector-climate-plan_a_23614398/

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
The Sudbury INCO facility was North America's largest air polluter accounting for 5% of the continent's total air pollution. Regulations and not a national tax knocked that pollution down considerably. What's completely f*cked is the largest GHG emitters in Canada are actually exempt from the carbon tax. At least for a few years anyway. In fact most oil sector emissions are exempt from the tax. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/12/10/canada-oil-sector-climate-plan_a_23614398/

I was laid off because of those exact regulations that I support.

They went from a 2 furnace operation to a 1 furnace operation at their smelter while increasing their emission treatment facilities. (Im drunk). There are other words for those terms but I cannot think of them right now.

Anyways im still doing good in life.

Last edited:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Pollution and carbon tax are two different things - Like knowing and believing.
;)
As Reagan is reported to have said: "trees cause pollution", But everyone knows that's just wrong.

Canada's forests actually emit more carbon than they absorb — despite what you've heard on Facebook
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canada-forests-carbon-sink-or-source-1.5011490

WE are so screwed: trees cause CO2 and don't pay taxes. WE don't, but we do. So I guess they win.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
there are lots of carbon taxes in Canada. I am guessing you mean the federal one which only applies to those places that were unable to come up with their own system.

you are going to have a tough time getting rid of the federal levy, which was only brought in as a last ditch measure