Hurt- A Boxing Tribute

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've never cared for boxing, and this video, while well shot and all, definitely didn't change that opinion.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Great video.

Yeah, boxing hurts like heck. Done it myself so I know first hand. My dad wouldn't talk about his experience back in the 1930s during the Great Depression when guys like him boxed every week (often on consecutive nights) for a ham sandwich and a cup of coffee. It must have been brutal. But he still loved the sport until the very end of his life.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Pro boxing remains my passion in life and I often watch old matches on you tube.

Am currently reading Henry Armstrong's Gloves, Glory, and God:

Earlier today I was deeply saddened to learn of the recent death of Brooklyn's Joe Rein:

Rest in Peace, Joe Rein - TheSweetScience.com

his writings:

Joe Rein - TheSweetScience.com

He was an online friend who I corresponded with for over 10 years. Whether via PM or in forum chats, he treated everyone like you were his best pal. Nobody knew or loved pro boxing like he did. Despite suffering from cancer all these years, he maintained a very youthful appearance and only stopped working just a couple of months ago. Tributes for him appear from every corner of the world
on a boxing website that I frequent. He will never be forgotten.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Jose Sulaiman, 82: World Boxing Council chief Jose Sulaiman dies at 82 - News | FOX Sports on MSN

I have checked several news sources and they generally report his death in a sympathetic manner. But in a boxing forum where I am a regular poster the commentators are actually quite hostile to the man and his memory. He, indeed, was a great self promoter, was overly protective of Mexican boxers thereby assuring many of them a stranglehold on many championship belts, sanctioned the alphabet soup of organizations which led to a multiplicity of belts and jurisdictions who either allowed or forbade title bouts, and created the rule where title matches were reduced from 15 to 12 rounds. While this latter change was well received by many folks outside of the sport, to boxing purists it was anathema.

While pro boxing remains my passion in life I am saddened that Sulaiman did nothing to eliminate the corruption that befouls the sport. In fact, a good case can be made for why he increased the problem. For this many boxing purists remain angry at him. Hopefully, people will be more charitable to his family for their loss. And let's hope that his errors will be corrected so that the sport can re-gain the prestige it once enjoyed.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
yup - it's called Dementia Pugilistica (DP)

no cure though largely preventable if only some of these guys would try to stop fighting when they know they've been beaten