How to get free food in Canada': YouTubers criticized for encouraging international students to use food banks

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Its nothing new but new to a blind media.

A growing genre of videos on YouTube and TikTok is angering some Canadians who say international students are being encouraged to abuse food banks in order to get “free groceries.”

A number of recent videos, with titles like “How to get free food in Canada” and “Free food in Canada for students,” have been shared on social media and elicited a mixed response at a time of soaring costs and high inflation.

A post on X that has been viewed nearly 500,000 times features four screenshots from different YouTube videos instructing students how to access food banks.

“Very few people in Canada know that you can claim free food hampers,” begins an almost 10-minute long YouTube video that was posted in June this year. “Students face a lot of financial problems, especially during this time when there are very few jobs available and if you are new to Canada, it’s very difficult to survive on limited finances. During this time, you can take advantage of free groceries, free food hampers. In this video, I am going to collect a free food hamper and I’ll show you what’s inside and how you can claim it too.”

Reactions: Ron in Regina

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
This I Very Much Doubt.

You can't just line up with your hand out to receive food you have to go through a screening process and if you have assets/money in the bank it's No Go.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
At the food bank run by our church, they screen the clients. Geography and income and need and family size are all considered for eligibility and hamper size.
Its a human rights violations to ask for financials. Economic status is protected unless a Govt agency or financial institution.

Last edited:

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Last tie I drove past the food bank there were a few expensive cars parked outside.

sherylburke

Time Out
Jan 11, 2023
New York
It's definitely a hot topic lately, and I get why it's sparking mixed reactions. Helping students find support during tough times is great, but it's important to do it in a way that's fair to everyone and respects the intended use of food banks. It's crucial to strike a balance and ensure that food banks are reaching those who genuinely need the support. This way, we can continue to make sure that people have access to SPAM LINK REMOVED and don't have to resort to less healthy options. It's a matter of keeping an eye on the system to prevent abuse while making sure that those in real need don't miss out on the support they require.