How many of you use the MagicJack? Good Bye Overpriced Phone Company.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
It was so nice to cancell the phone service . Big time. I am saving money. I got a statement closed account owing 0.00. I wanted to frame that one. I have spent thousands on the phone no more! I have used this for over 6 months. No more monthly phone bill...no more long distance charges.. no charges period. Cost 50.00. for the MagicJack. London Drugs, The Source etc....carry them and a warranty.
A small USB connection into the USB port on your hard drive or lap top. Connect your cordless phone base cradle to the MagicJack. The MagicJack is plugged in to your hard drive. And that is it. Plug it in.

It goes through three steps. It initializes itself then you follow the instructions. A pop up box that will remain and become a window that shows your incoming callers numbers on your computer Screen. You also have to ask them to hook you up for 911 emerg there is that option on it as well.

1# would you like a Vanity number...make your own like 1-777-Mom. would you like a Canadian number? Of course I did the yes I would like a Canadian Number. It is a one time purchase 10.00 you own that number it is personalized to your MagicJack. ( Because you can take this with you, travelling! )

Step #2 what package? Hmmmm the best one is 69.99 for five years of service. Call the center and request another 5 year package on top of that. If you wish.

I was paying 91.00 per month for basic internet and phone and long distance on top of this. Outrageous what we pay. The MagicJack company is based, I was told in Florida. They have out sourced and use a call center in the Phillipines so it is building. They are also selling stock in their company.

Step
#3 Enter your Information address E mail so your Voice mail messages you can access anywhere you have internet.

So the cost of two months for regular phone and internet through the phone company which would have cost me 200.00 for two months!
It has already paid for itself.

I spent 50.00 MagiJack
10.00 For my ( private ) number. No more telemarketers!
69.99 For Five years !!!!! pre- paid. No more monthly statements price Jacking.
It took a total of 15 minutes from opening the package to set up to calling and asking did I do this right?
to find the call center is in the Phillipines.

NO I do not work for this Company. I am a Mother and I am so Cheap I Squeak. I just like to see others get a
chance to save their money if they can. I converted my daughter to this the MagicJack she has no more phone bills
and is saving that! My son, well he said his girlfriend does not want to leave the computer on all the time. But they are
paying phone 100.00 a month which could be a nice date night or something else. Spend half of their time playing on the
computer. Geesh ... Listen to your mother for once would ya kid.

THE ONLY THING YOU CAN NOT DO:
Is download or have other programs running while you are using the phone. This does interfere with the connection and it cuts out every second word. That is the only glitch I found in 6 months of use. Unplug the MagicJack plug it back in, no
problem.

SOLUTION TO THIS :
Close what ever was running no problem. Yes, you do have to leave your hardrive on continuously if you want the phone to work. But if not turn it off. Your phone messages go to your Email you set up installing. Another thing we found my family is spread in Canada we use this all the time now no charges talked for three hours! Twice in One week! Long Distance! No worrying going over the minutes.
Women you know we like to talk...the kids... The cost of the MagicJack. Purchase your number. The package. Paid for itself with two
months of phone use. I called my cable guy and the number that I got was a 1-(area code) - 999 - . I said, "hey are you using the
MagicJack? What gives you guys sell phone plans! and you are using this? So there you go. Go get one save yourself some money.
Computer Phone. Take the lap top and MagicJack on Vacation to use in the Hotel rooms. No Charges to your room to call back home.

This would be great for MILITARY PERSONS travelling away from home for their families no Charge calling to your home number!!!!Check into it! Take your MagicJack with you!!!! Out sourced connection.
Your computer recognizes your Private Number...all you need is the internet feed. No Catch it works. I was skeptical at first. Downright ornary if I think I am being scammed. So it checks out. Thats all I have to say about that.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
And your TV.

Can up up your internet package to eliminate that use one thing only restriction, I would hate to turn a $2,000 comp into a $20 phone. I would either need a standalone comp (and connection). Giving the program a high priority might help with the word loss

Have you heard of Skype? free for comp to comp and you get video.

That company would have to remain in business for that 5 yr thing to apply.

you can also text from any pc to cell phone these days, free on the pc

Last edited:

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
So who provides your internet service?
Shaw cable light speed service...35.00 mos. 22.00 per month for the first 6 mos highspeed ,then downgrade the 5th month to save, and request to keep the Lightspeed it is good enough. After the 6 mos trial. I dropped the 200.00 package no more television in the house as well. The cost is not worth it anymore and it is a repetitious drone on there most of the time anyway.

For what television we watched....Sports...The News...it is there on the internet. We do more outdoors and spend time doing things educational, book reading. Popcorn nights and a Livestream movie all included with the internet service. It made more dollars and cents ( sense ) to go this way than pay for a package with TV.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Shaw cable light speed service...35.00 mos. 22.00 per month for the first 6 mos highspeed ,then downgrade the 5th month to save, and request to keep the Lightspeed it is good enough. After the 6 mos trial. I dropped the 200.00 package no more television in the house as well. The cost is not worth it anymore and it is a repetitious drone on there most of the time anyway.

For what television we watched....Sports...The News...it is there on the internet. We do more outdoors and spend time doing things educational, book reading. Popcorn nights and a Livestream movie all included with the internet service. It made more dollars and cents ( sense ) to go this way than pay for a package with TV.

So, don't forget to add 22.00 per month to your figures showing what your magicjack costs.

Me, I'm happy with my fiber optic service and unlimited long distance.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Only problem is should there be a service interruption you have no phone. Same if you lose power. No 911 either.
I get it as I dropped phone service years ago for voip through Vonage. I am very happy with my phone though we're just about at the point where we're just going to go with cellular and nix the home phone altogether. I have really enjoyed the service I got from Vonage though.

The one time I had a problem, I called them, they spoke English fluently and shipped me a new phone modem free of charge which arrived in two days from my phone call. Then a week later, someone called just to see if I had everything back up to snuff or any questions. Then they thanked me for using Vonage. Class act all the way.

Internet is huge and will continue to grow and offer new things we want to see and do. I have had internet integration since the 90s and only now is the rest of the world catching up. Even with Cable I had my tv running through my computers and could watch movies off my hard drive skipping commercials, on demand whenever I wanted it. Live programming too. Now we download all of it and watch only what we really want to watch. We buy series if we like them from Itunes and rent movies or buy them if we like them enough.

I still use Rogers for Internet though should someone other than Bell come along with the same speeds for the same money I will be gone in the blink of an eye. Rogers deserves no loyalty and as I understand it, only offer up some effort of retention when you tell them to go screw.

Before long someone will open up competitive fiber optic to the home with a data package that will cover large downloads and phone data. I'll be first in line for it when it comes.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

till ther phone rings, that will be the trend for everybody once they find a way to embed commercials and ads and hackers will be needed to keep out the stray stuff you don't what. Sill you watch what you want when you want so one step up in all. USB Access pricing has to come way down

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Before long someone will open up competitive fiber optic to the home with a data package that will cover large downloads and phone data. I'll be first in line for it when it comes.

I don't know if it's competitive or not, but mine is unlimited ftth, so that works for me.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I heard it could be piggybacked on power lines same as asdl over phone hardware. speed would be in terra bytes and they don't have the policing software in place to something that fast, and they might not want us getting that much information if it includes more variety than what the 'plan' calls for.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
So, don't forget to add 22.00 per month to your figures showing what your magicjack costs.

Me, I'm happy with my fiber optic service and unlimited long distance.
That 22.00 was pre investment for my internet service that I had before the MagicJack. This was a monthly given. The MagicJack eliminated the 91.00 per month phone Bill all together plus added on charges. The MagicJack is still a one time purchase though, no Bill for ( P honebill M onthly S ervice ), PMS everymonth from Telus. :) Is it sad I am happy being cheap?

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
I didn't know MagicJack was available in Canada, but I watch quite a bit of American TV so I have seen the advertisements.

I would prefer to pay more for better service. My family pays around 120-150/month for high speed internet, unlimited USA/CAN phone calls, and satellite TV. We were paying 250 for all of these at one point; now we pay less and have better service. So I'm not complaining.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
And your TV.

Can up up your internet package to eliminate that use one thing only restriction, I would hate to turn a $2,000 comp into a $20 phone. I would either need a standalone comp (and connection). Giving the program a high priority might help with the word loss

Have you heard of Skype? free for comp to comp and you get video.

That company would have to remain in business for that 5 yr thing to apply.

you can also text from any pc to cell phone these days, free on the pc
The computer I have no problem turning it into a 20.00 phone. I am saving :) I am not on the computer all day but the phone is. :) If the power goes out you can still retrieve your messages on your battery power lap top.The number is private. The laptop and MagicJack went to California there was no phone charge to the hotel room with this as it was MagicJack
on the laptop connected to the phone. Grandma was in B.C. on her phone. She does not use a computer. Does not want one. She said, why? So the call to grandma on the phone in the hotel was pre paid. It is just another way to connect nothing to call when travelling it recognizes your number :) Phone numbers out there telemarketers do not sit well with me. Yes I have used Skype and there was the time lag as well at times on highspeed. So I had a larger reply and it was taken off oops?

I didn't know MagicJack was available in Canada, but I watch quite a bit of American TV so I have seen the advertisements.

I would prefer to pay more for better service. My family pays around 120-150/month for high speed internet, unlimited USA/CAN phone calls, and satellite TV. We were paying 250 for all of these at one point; now we pay less and have better service. So I'm not complaining.
Hey I saw them too :) I am paying 35.00 for internet thats it. Sure you pay for the device to start then its nice, no phone Bill. Pre paid 69.99 for 5 years and you can add on top of that. You can have 911 on this as well. It is worth saving. I offered to get my son one for his birthday and pre pay it for him....girlfriend does not want the comp on all the time. Geesh....thats another story, it took some talking into at first my sis you have to do this it works really ... yeah heard that before sis. It was a gov computer geek guru that convinced me of this. So far so good. I like that you can take it with you.

00chuffer

May 10, 2011
I have one. Best thing i ever did was get rid of all other phones. The down side is here in B.C. you can only get a phone number for Vancouver that cost an extra $10. So if you live outside Vancouver all normal calls to you will be long distance. But all my calls are 19.95/year. Nice to call anywhere cause i fell like it any time of the day. I noticed that it records incoming cel phone numbers and other numbers that would normally be unknown. So I just call people back. I gave one to my doctor as a gift to use as a Vancouver line. NCIX.com has them for sale for 40.00