Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
How long will this government last?

I don't think its going to last too much longer. I think it will probably fall shortly after the Liberals choose a new leader.

How long do you think its going to last?

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: How long will this go

At least until the liberals choose another leader.
I guess it's all up to the bloc, and that will depend on whether harper delivers on his promise to address the fiscal imbalance in the next budget. The only other possibility I can think of is that the conservatives do something else to upset the bloc, like going to war in...let's say...iran.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: How long will this go

gc said:
At least until the liberals choose another leader.
I guess it's all up to the bloc, and that will depend on whether harper delivers on his promise to address the fiscal imbalance in the next budget. The only other possibility I can think of is that the conservatives do something else to upset the bloc, like going to war in...let's say...iran.

I think full term, especially if the poll numbers keep going up and he continues to govern as he campaigned and keeps all his promises.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well, there is really two things that can happen.

One, the Conservatives can continue to govern well and keep their promises and keep the support of the Bloc Quebecois. That will keep the Conservative poll numbers high and the Liberal numbers low, so Harper will have a full term because the Liberals won't want to trigger an election.

The other way this could go is that the Bloc Quebecois (could ditch the Conservatives), the NDP and the Liberals (with their new leader) could team up, bring down the government and go into an election sometime in early 2007.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Harper will be in office as long as he delivers on his promises. The bloc, will have said they will support the government, unless special circumstances, until the budget for 2007. That is when the conservative put the date line to start solving the fiscal imbalance.

If too little or nothing is done by then, they will go down. And Harper won't come back with a majority. The issue of fiscal imbalance is the number 1 priority to Québécors.

Vicious

Electoral Member
May 12, 2006
Ontario, Sadly

Hmmm, I'm not as optimistic. If the Liberals hold a decent leadership race, where all candidates condemn the past liberal corruption (while of course claiming they had no hand in it) And select one of their big names - especially Ignatieff, they will start to see polls rise.

At this point they will engineer a defeat on something, defence spending, same sex marriages, etc whatever topic of the day is relatively divisive.

My prediction is as early as spring 2007 as late as fall 2007.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
Re: RE: How long will this go

Vicious said:
Hmmm, I'm not as optimistic. If the Liberals hold a decent leadership race, where all candidates condemn the past liberal corruption (while of course claiming they had no hand in it) And select one of their big names - especially Ignatieff, they will start to see polls rise.

At this point they will engineer a defeat on something, defence spending, same sex marriages, etc whatever topic of the day is relatively divisive.

My prediction is as early as spring 2007 as late as fall 2007.

It has nothing to do with what the liberals want, they don't have the numbers to bring them down on their own, or with the NDP. It all depends on the bloc and how long the conservatives can keep the support of the bloc.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
I agree the Bloc is the important party in this. But I don't see any Liberal candidate that would strike fear into conservative hearts. Actually, I'm cheering for Volpe, then we could have a lot more years of Conservative rule.

Go, Joe, Go!!!!! :lol:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Life Span of Tory Government

:arrow: FiveParadox is Back!

Hey, everyone!

Back from my treatments, and things are looking good. The starter scans taken since the treatment show no trace, so once I have the more comprehensive scans next weekend, I am clear! I hope everyone enjoyed their few days without me — because trust me, hiatuses like that from me are going to be few, and far between! I could not bare to let this place go without colours for too long, now could I? That would be nothing short of dereliction of duty!

:arrow: Life Span of the Tory Government

This is a tough question, to be honest; if the Right Honourable Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P., the Member for Calgary Southwest and the Prime Minister of Canada, is honest in saying that he doesn't think that prime ministers should have the prerogative to end any particular Parliament of Canada on a whim, then the dissolution of this Thirty-ninth Parliament of Canada is going to have to be on the initiative of the opposition parties.

Given this situation, I don't think that Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is going to make any moves to push for the defeat of this Government of Canada until after the Liberal Party of Canada has chosen a new leader; the Bloc Québécois is going to support this Government for as long as they can do so without tarnishing their own image, due to close numbers between themselves and the Government in the Province of Québec. As for the New Democratic Party of Canada, I can't see them having as much patience with the Conservative Party of Canada as they had had with the previous Government of Canada.

I would think that we are going to see the Fortieth General Election within a year.

Briteyes

Nov 29, 2005
Nice to have you back Five I have been on but not posting I need your insight and your colour around here hehehehehe.

Graeme

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2006
bluealberta said:
I agree the Bloc is the important party in this. But I don't see any Liberal candidate that would strike fear into conservative hearts. Actually, I'm cheering for Volpe, then we could have a lot more years of Conservative rule.

Go, Joe, Go!!!!! :lol:

haha we should all join the liberal party, and vote for joe

Swifty

May 19, 2006
The Conservatives will last for another two elections.

To many EXTREME left wing Loonies in the NDP and the Liberals are to dam corrupt and incompetent to govern for quite some time.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Life Span of This Government

I think that the Conservative Party of Canada is going to continue to govern for the Fortieth Parliament of Canada, provided that the Government of Canada is defeated on its motion to re-open the same-sex marriage issue (une motion qui, si adoptée, détruirait le Gouvernement à la prochaine élection dans la province du Québec). If this Government wishes to achieve a majority within the next one or two Parliaments, then Québec is going to need to be a major supporter — and some of the right-wing ideas being furthered in the House of Commons, in conjunction with the highly unsupported-in-Québec mission in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, are not going to help them in this endeavour.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: Life Span of This Government

FiveParadox said:
I think that the Conservative Party of Canada is going to continue to govern for the Fortieth Parliament of Canada, provided that the Government of Canada is defeated on its motion to re-open the same-sex marriage issue (une motion qui, si adoptée, détruirait le Gouvernement à la prochaine élection dans la province du Québec). If this Government wishes to achieve a majority within the next one or two Parliaments, then Québec is going to need to be a major supporter — and some of the right-wing ideas being furthered in the House of Commons, in conjunction with the highly unsupported-in-Québec mission in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, are not going to help them in this endeavour.

same sex won't be a confidence vote will it?

Harper's going to have to deliver on his Kyoto replacement and equalization before the next election. Duceppe is just biding his time. Everything else is chickenscratch.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Life Span of the Tories

[i said:
BitWhys[/i]]same sex won't be a confidence vote will it?
I doubt that very much.

However, if the motion to re-open the same-sex marriage issue is passed, and the issue is again dragged through the House of Commons, I would suggest that the resurrection of that contentious issue would cause support for this Government of Canada to evapourate in the Province of Québec in quite short order.

[i said:
BitWhys[/i]]Harper's going to have to deliver on his Kyoto replacement and equalization before the next election. Duceppe is just biding his time. Everything else is chickenscratch.
I agree with your assessment of the present situation.

I think that Gilles Duceppe, M.P., the Member for Laurier—Sainte-Marie and the Leader of the Bloc Québécois, is hoping that an issue comes up on which he could declare his lack of support for the Government in a rather dramatic fashion. If Mr. Duceppe goes into an election campaign waging war on the lack of environment strategy on the part of the Conservative Party of Canada, and hounding other matters such as right-wing social policy, I think that the Tories would risk being crushed by the Bloc Québécois.

Swifty

May 19, 2006
BitWhys said:
Swifty said:

To many EXTREME left wing Loonies in the NDP...

who exactly, and why do you think they are extreme?

The party is crawling with communists .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxism-Leninism

They think there the elete and don't give a rats ass about the worker anymore.It"s definitely not the party Ed Broadbent lead. :(

I liked Ed,at least he could compromise on some issues.The party now does nothing but complain and should just fold and join the Liberals.

What's the difference between Liberals and NDP ?

I lost all respect for Jack when he propped up that sleaze bag librano paul martin and the rest of those lying pieces of dog feces. :(