HOw do people live during winter (am new at this kind of winters)

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You have to be prepared for any situation that's for sure.

Words to live by. There's been a lot of good information here, specifically about wearing layers of clothing. A lot of the extras you can get when you arrive but depending on when you actually get to Edmonton, a couple layers can save you a lot of discomfort before you get to the shops. If your boyfriend is already in Edmonton, he should be able to give you some good advice on what you'll need and when.

I heartily agree with the carrying salt/sand, a blanket, spare clothes, a candle and some dry foods in a car but as others have said chains won't be necessary in the city: if its that bad, no one will be going anywhere. One thing to remember is that driving on snow and ice is a LOT different than on dry roads... but so is walking in the white stuff (and I do recommend walking or ETS on the first day of winter rather than driving because too many people forget the difference every year).

One other thing I will mention, that may or may not be applicable is furnaces. If you own/rent a house, make sure the filter is clean and the unit has been checked out, greased, etc in the past year or so. Air conditioning in Alberta is nice to have in the summer but furnaces in the winter are survival equipment.

atfa

Sep 8, 2010
Queretaro
One other thing I will mention, that may or may not be applicable is furnaces.

hey thanks for that comment, since we are moving by summer it was a good tip to check when renting.
If your boyfriend is already in Edmonton, he should be able to give you some good advice on what you'll need and when.

he is still here in mexico with me, but he has had a share of winter, he has hunted in minnesota during winter/deer season. i guess he has more gear than i do, but shopping is an easy thing for girls lol. i'll make sure to buy some layers in winter sales here in mexico before i leave.
the driving part i guess it will have to wait for a while until we get a truck, hopefully we'll get some expert friends before that so that they can help too, anyways i'll be here asking more since everyone is been so nice with my question.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you move in the summer it will be a cinch to figure out what you need as the fall sets in and things start cooling off. Then you can watch the 'trends' too, see what other women are wearing, etc. Although, Canadian women are prone to getting frostbitten in the name of vanity. lol. I've stood outside bars/concerts/etc. watching women's toes turn white with cold on more than one occasion. Because god forbid you go dancing in boots. lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I love that picture! I've felt like that after a long day of tobogganning down the hills.:lol: