Home brewing

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My sister and her husband tried making Saki one year....

The procedure involves raisins which float to the surface of the urn at some point in the fermentation (ugh) process....

Her husband scooped the raisins out of the urn and threw them into their back yard. She phoned me to drive over to her house to see all the birds lined up on the fence stunned from a raisin drunk I guess .....lasted for hours poor things.... (or was it the rice? can't remember)

With saki, it should have been rice yeah. We had a similar thing happen when I was young, only it involved our horses.

We used to have what we called 'the shack'. It was the original log cabin built when our farm was homesteaded. Once the mobile home was moved on (yee-haw, I'm redneck), we started using the shack for storage. This included empty wine and spirit bottles, lawn furniture, and our freezer. Kids being kids, we loved to play out there. The original stove was still there, we had scrounged up some buckets, and we'd play 'kitchen'. We'd grab up handfuls of grain from the barn. When mom accidentally dropped a bag of saskatoons destined for the freezer, we were quick to pick them up and add them to 'the stew'. My little brother would pour the dregs of the whiskey bottles and wine into the bucket as well. In the end, we had a bucket full of booze, grain, and berries. It sat there for AGES. As near as I can recall, we had that bucket of booze slurry for at least a year, constantly twinking with 'the recipe'. Until the horses got into the shack one day, and ate the whole damn bucket. We came home from town to find the horses standing on the front lawn, nodding their heads, up and down, up and down, up and down. They stood there like that all day. It took my brother and I all of five seconds to put together the meaning behind the horses' behavior, and the door of the shack hanging wide open.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't get hangovers unless I drink something that's sweet. Chocolate martini's? Worst. Hangover. Ever.

yeah, chocolatinis aren't really made for getting drunk. lol. sipping in the hot tub, yes. getting drunk, no.

I tend to avoid sugary drinks at all costs now too. Ceasars or wine are my drinks of choice. Even the white wines I'm starting to find too sweet, and beer as well. Lately I've been craving a good old cup of campfire coffee and rye.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thanks Karrie!!

That horsie story was a hoot ...

Funny about that Saki - I think they never drank it after that - or at least never admitted to drinking it....

Also strange was this particular sister (I had six) wasn't one of the blondes !!

Rar! I'm a scary monster!

Electoral Member
Mar 10, 2007
Western NC, USA
It will unlock once you're no longer a newbie. It takes a certain number of posts to be allowed an avatar.

Thanks Karrie....I kinda thought that might be it.

Re: Choclatinis-- Yeah, I didn't exactly INTEND to get drunk...it's just that so many of them fell into my mouth. I'm innocent, I tells ya! Theatre parties are a bit raucous...:pukeright:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks Karrie!!

That horsie story was a hoot ...

Funny about that Saki - I think they never drank it after that - or at least never admitted to drinking it....

Also strange was this particular sister (I had six) wasn't one of the blondes !!

lol. six sisters, that's incredible! My mom grew up with five sisters and I thought that was difficult enough at family gatherings! lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, I didn't exactly INTEND to get drunk...it's just that so many of them fell into my mouth. I'm innocent, I tells ya!

Yeah, I'm familiar with that phenomena. I have a friend here in town that, when we get together, whole bottles of wine can just magically transport themselves into our tummies. Bizarre how it happens.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anyone ever tried absinthe? Always wondered what it tasted like.
So far I like the taste of real rye, real potato vodka, a few rums but mostly Appleton's, various beers but not many ales, gin, and some liqueurs like the ones tasting like licorice, Irish cream, ones that taste like oranges and lemons, creme de menthe and peppermint schnapps, and some wines particularly Rieslings.
I've wanted to make my own beers but never got around to collecting the carboys and whatnot.
Hi L.G.
You can buy everything you need in a kit including the carboy etc for aroud $50.00 The beer kits are between $10 and $15. You provide the water and the labour. Just follow the instructions and you will have about five dozen beer ready to drink in roughly a month and a half.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

:???: I was the quiet one too! And there is one brother! He's spoiled and was a monster!

Yeah, in my mom's family there are two boys. One who grew up with all the girls, and then one who was a 'whoops' when almost all the other kids were out of the house. He's only 7 years older than me. Both were super spoiled, since both were the only boy in the house when they were growing up.