Holy Cow

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Let's cover some background here.

I am afraid of the dentist...scratch afraid, I'm terrified of the dentist, for a whole mulitiude of reasons. Not the least of which is I have soft teeth, no matter what I do, i get cavities, and Had a denist that used to yell at me saying that I didn't take care of my teeth, and then he had a stroke. Some guy with a shaky hand taking a drill at my mouth?! 8O I Don't Think So :x

This among other reasons has led me not to go back to the dentist....but due to wisdom teeth issues and so forth, I have made my first appointment in 8 years...just thinking of it makes me want to vomit.

Am I crazy, or are there other freaks like me that get this shaken up about the dentist or the doctor

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
manda said:
Let's cover some background here.

I am afraid of the dentist...scratch afraid, I'm terrified of the dentist, for a whole mulitiude of reasons. Not the least of which is I have soft teeth, no matter what I do, i get cavities, and Had a denist that used to yell at me saying that I didn't take care of my teeth, and then he had a stroke. Some guy with a shaky hand taking a drill at my mouth?! 8O I Don't Think So :x

This among other reasons has led me not to go back to the dentist....but due to wisdom teeth issues and so forth, I have made my first appointment in 8 years...just thinking of it makes me want to vomit.

Am I crazy, or are there other freaks like me that get this shaken up about the dentist or the doctor

I am so with you there Manda. The thought of needles getting shoved into my mouth makes my knees weak. I too didn't go for around 8 years or so. My first visit back I was in the chair for like, two hours. They did the cleaning, and drilled out a couple cavities. They didn't give me a needle because they said the cavities were shallow - most of the drilling was fine, no pain at all, but right at the end they started hitting the nerve. Ouch!! If I could cry, I would.... :cry:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Manda, I sure feel for you. A couple of suggestions, if I may:

For motivation, think of your kids. If you can do this thing, find the right dentist and overcome your fears, it will prevent your kids from growing up with the same unhealthy fear of dentists. Recognizing that the dentist you went to was a jerk should help, as will recognizing that all dentists are NOT created equal.

For choosing the right dentist, call around. A LOT. Be totally upfront about your concerns. Request a visit where you just meet the dentist. Yes, you can do this, and no it won't cost you money. If the dentist or receptionist says no to this, it is not the right office for you. Meet then choose the one with whom you click, the one who makes you feel safe. The right dentist is out there, it is just a matter of finding him or her.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
I have the dentist now....and my kids love the dentist...while I quake in fear in the waiting room, and white knuckle the chair at the sound of the drill. My oldest laughs at me about it.

I had 2 detists in my life, one lied to me when I was in grad three and said that he was polishing my teeth when he was filling a cavity, hit the nerve, blood spurted.

Needless to say, lil manda screamed, kicked the dentist, and ran out crying.

I nearly passed out when they were sanding the glue off my teeth from my braces, started hyperventalating...that takes talent with you're mouth pried and held open

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
I'm im my mid sixties,and still quake whenever I HAVE to make a dental appointment.
I can remember when I was seven...I obstinately stood in front of MY swing and demanded that Dennis Millard get OFF(I was an only child,not used to the subtle nuances of negotiation,lol)...he promptly swang into me,his feet hit my mouth and broke off my two front teeth.
Dr.Howe(interesting how some names stick,lol)pulled those teeth,without benefit of freezing!!!
I've found a decent man(for a dentist,that is,lol),but still am resistant to seeing him. I do not let the "assistants" do any teeth scaling or cleaning...it hurts,and furthermore I always end up with some sort of abscess on my gums afterward.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Holy Cow

Jay said:
8 years?

Some would say that is crazy....

No crazy is that I haven't been to the dentist either since I was 12 (I'm 31 now). At least for me I still don't have any cavities or other nasties yet...yet.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Manda

Ask for a lightweight Valium to take before you visit - he can prescribe one....and I am surprised any dentist you visit hasn't already offered one. It isn't going to make an addict of you but
will relax you enough so the freezing can take hold.

Why hasn't anyone suggested porceline veneers (or other materials)..to harden your natural teeth and protect them from cavities.

For the novocaine injection there are topical gum ointments which numb and allow the needle to penetrate without discomfort. You can even have a relaxer shot in the arm before the procedure and sleep through the whole thing.

I'd find another more up to date dentist. Nobody should have to experience pain any more - even if you are terrified, you should not have pain administered with a routine procedure.

I am so sorry you have to go through this - as well as the other people who have written about their experiences. I was in that same boat from childhood until adulthood - until I met the guy who decided he either had to find a way to treat his patients in comfort or get out of the business of dentistry. He decided to try the "comfort" path first and it worked.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Jo Canadian said:
Jay said:
8 years?

Some would say that is crazy....

No crazy is that I haven't been to the dentist either since I was 12 (I'm 31 now). At least for me I still don't have any cavities or other nasties yet...yet.

(I'm 31 now)

And here I thought you were older than I.... :)

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Wednesday's Child said:
Manda

Ask for a lightweight Valium to take before you visit - he can prescribe one....and I am surprised any dentist you visit hasn't already offered one. It isn't going to make an addict of you but
will relax you enough so the freezing can take hold.

Why hasn't anyone suggested porceline veneers (or other materials)..to harden your natural teeth and protect them from cavities.

For the novocaine injection there are topical gum ointments which numb and allow the needle to penetrate without discomfort. You can even have a relaxer shot in the arm before the procedure and sleep through the whole thing.

I'd find another more up to date dentist. Nobody should have to experience pain any more - even if you are terrified, you should not have pain administered with a routine procedure.

I am so sorry you have to go through this - as well as the other people who have written about their experiences. I was in that same boat from childhood until adulthood - until I met the guy who decided he either had to find a way to treat his patients in comfort or get out of the business of dentistry. He decided to try the "comfort" path first and it worked.

I found out that this dentist is really good...I think the other one never did anything like that because he felt that it was pennance for neglecting my teeth...although they were never neglected..

Valium sounds like a better idea than the blood thinningpint of whiskey I was going to bring in .

Maybe I'll get to the porcelin veneers yet...I have insurance, dr. moore will have a heyday with me, I'm sure

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Jo Canadian and Manda are the same person?

Anyway, one wants to be careful with Valium, not because of an addiction concern but rather because apparently Valium is not effective if you are highly stressed when you take it. I know, that makes no sense, but aparently it is true. Taking the drug can stress you out even more.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005

Haggis McBagpipe said:

Anyway, one wants to be careful with Valium, not because of an addiction concern but rather because apparently Valium is not effective if you are highly stressed when you take it. I know, that makes no sense, but aparently it is true. Taking the drug can stress you out even more.

no, jo canadian is mr. manda....doubt I'll need the valium anyway

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

manda said:
Haggis McBagpipe said:

no, jo canadian is mr. manda....doubt I'll need the valium anyway

Mr. Manda! :cool:

One other idea, from someone who isn't that keen on the dentist. You know how one sometimes gets that really amazing 'I can do anything' feeling, that total sense of power, of invincibility? Make your appointment right then. Then you just have to keep it, which, although tricky, is less hard, I think, than making the call.

Whatever way you do, good luck. :cool: