Heritage: Tell us about your roots

ElPolaco

Electoral Member
Nov 5, 2004
Fruita, CO, Aztlan
www.spec-tra.com
Everyone has interesting roots but me. Didn't have any relatives in the new world until around 1910 from Poland. Can't go too far back geneologically because most of them were illiterate and a lot of churches with Baptismal records were destroyed during a couple of wars. My wife has the interesting background. Her ancestors came up from central Mexico and settled in Northern New Mexico in the late 16th century. They've been intermarrying with the various Indian tribes there for hundreds of years. The novel "The Milagro Beanfield War" is a great description of that Spanish Speaking culture of Northern New Mexico.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
A distant relative was a nut for geneology and pieced together a 130 page family tree. The family originates from the Ruhr area of Germany, then shifted into the Netherlands. He traced back our family tree to the 16th century, to the time of Martin Luther. One of my ancestors was involved in his reformation. Many generations were clergymen (kind of ironic considering my immediate family is rabidly agnostic). My great great (great?) grandfather was married to a cousin of Vincent van Gogh.

Ali Mahdi

Jan 24, 2006
Waterloo, ON
RE: Heritage: Tell us abo

Sorry to bring back an old topic.
I'm of Scottish and English descent. My paternal grandma was born in Canada to parents who came from the Bradford area of England and my paternal grandpa's great-great grandfather came to Canada in 1830 from southern Scotland. Indirectly, I may be able to trace my roots further back, but I'd have to check with my dad as he's the geneologist in the family!

My maternal grandparents came over in 1957 from Preston, Lancashire, England to "have a better life." My grandpa was born in Brighton, which is south of London. :) They had family here already that had come after World War One.

Alberta'sfinest

Electoral Member
Dec 9, 2005
RE: Heritage: Tell us abo

My hertige is a cross between German, French, and english roots, although the england connection was merely a residence. The German side of my family immigrated here during collectivization in Communist Russia. My family escaped with only their lives from Stalin, although many members were never heard from again.
My French/English side are descendents of the Norman royal family, particularily William the conquerer. They later left England as the Windsor family took over, to come to the US to run the tobacco trades on Jamestown Island in Virginia. They later played a major role in creating independence for the US, and then my family fought on both sides of the civil war in high ranks. My family later moved to Canada with a large fortune and bought a large chunk of Alberta. My Great grandpa later lost this do to a kangaroo court for Cattle rustling, after someone burried a neighbors stolen cattle on his land. He was targeted because he disagreed with prohibition of alcohol, and operated under semi-protection from the Queen. Before William the conquerer the trail runs cold, but my bloodline aparently was that of Jesus. The interelationships between the european royal families was quite common so almost all of them are my family. The last king of Denmark shared by sirname. Unfortunatley, despite my family being well known, most of the documents that concern my family before William are locked up and aren't available publicly. Hopefully some day I'll be able to see those.