Hello fellow Ontarians!

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
MMMike just think of all the money they are losing. All they had to do was raise the fares and be stupid (no problem there) like the current owners. At least there would have been some money coming in.

And, how can you say they are incompetent???? I mean look at the LCBO - which the idiots want to sell.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Hello fellow Ontarians!

whicker said:
MMMike just think of all the money they are losing. All they had to do was raise the fares and be stupid (no problem there) like the current owners. At least there would have been some money coming in.

And, how can you say they are incompetent???? I mean look at the LCBO - which the idiots want to sell.

I'm confused...are you suggesting the government itself should have made 407 a toll road?

And why shouldn't the government sell the LCBO?

Before Mike Harris told them he was going to privatize them they weren’t even making a profit, from what I understand. Now (because they are scared of being privatized) they make a profit.

The problem is, as it is always, the government can't even sell booze to people and make a profit.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The problem is, as it is always, the government can't even sell booze to people and make a profit.

Government-run liquor stores are profitable just about everywhere, Jay. If they couldn't turn a profit under Harris, that likely says more about Harris the the liquor stores.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
No Rev, it doesn't. Harris wasn't even in power yet. It was shortly after he came to power this rhetoric came to be.

The problem is they over pay booze mongers. I think it is a reflection of greedy unions, not Harris.

I haven't heard a single good reason why the government should be the only ones in Ontario that can sell you a bottle of whisky.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
The government should never be in the business of business. Ever. They are completely incompetent at everything they do.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There are only a few instances that they should be in business.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Our government is not TOTALLY incompetent. I know if there is a black guy stranded on a roof it ain't gonna take five days to throw him a bottle of friggin water.

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
Toronto has to be the most incompetently run city in Canada. The feather-bedded civil service is bloated beyond description. After almagamation all the burg's civil service was incorporated with very little centralization. More people doing the same job.

The Police Commission is a disaster, run by the Police Union.

Gridlock is the norm.

They cannot solve their garbage problem after 15 years of dithering.

A one time budget chief used to keep his money under his Mother-in-Laws mattress. He almost made Mayor.

The City spent 80 million on $10 thousand worth of computers. The original contract was 40 million. Then the city had a public inquiry and spend another 115 million trying to decide why the contract went from 40 milion ot 80 million. Nobody went to jail.

I personally consider anything south of the 401, which runs across the north part of the city, to be another planet.

Toronto the Good, avoid it unless you have to get an education of U of T, which basically is an extension of the University of China.

Durgan.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
We were promised a white Christmas in Southern Ontario, yay! I don't remember the last time there was lots and lots of snow for Christmas.

Anyone?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
If I remember correctly, the last two or three Christmases we had lots of snow in London....

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Durgan said:
Toronto has to be the most incompetently run city in Canada. The feather-bedded civil service is bloated beyond description. After almagamation all the burg's civil service was incorporated with very little centralization. More people doing the same job.

Gridlock is the norm.

A one time budget chief used to keep his money under his Mother-in-Laws mattress. He almost made Mayor.

The City spent 80 million on $10 thousand worth of computers. The original contract was 40 million. Then the city had a public inquiry and spend another 115 million trying to decide why the contract went from 40 milion ot 80 million. Nobody went to jail.

I personally consider anything south of the 401, which runs across the north part of the city, to be another planet.

Toronto the Good, avoid it unless you have to get an education of U of T, which basically is an extension of the University of China.

Durgan.

That's nothing the City of Toronto Spends close to One Billion Dollars a month. That's One Thousand Million Dollars. It just got more power to be even more autonymous AND they are not under any Auditor General type Audits OR even any deep auditing at par with what publicly traded corporations like Enron or Worldcom where under.

Now considering the New City of Toronto would have something like a $250 Billion dollar "Market Cap" (using Stock Market analogy for rule of thumb for equivalence tp get at an effective business worth), what does anyone expect with executive directors of no significant competence for managing such increadibly large business activity?

The amalgamation of Toronto was the biggest blunder in Canadian History, and they just threw more gas on that fire by giving them even more autonomy to do as they please with even less oversight and scrunity.

I think the province is trying to distance itself from that mess by giving them more self-direction and control. I thought they tell people to take the keys from drunks at the bar not help them to get a faster car.

Before they gave Toronto more responsibility, you would think they made sure they are able to be responsible first. It been going down hill ever since the amagamation and they blame everything but the amalgamation for it.

nitzomoe

Electoral Member
Dec 31, 2004
Toronto
iamcanadian said:
Durgan said:

Gridlock is the norm.

Durgan.

That's nothing the City of Toronto Spends close to One Billion Dollars a month. That's One Thousand Million Dollars. It just got more power to be even more autonymous AND they are not under any Auditor General type Audits OR even any deep auditing at par with what publicly traded corporations like Enron or Worldcom where under.

Now considering the New City of Toronto would have something like a $250 Billion dollar "Market Cap" (using Stock Market analogy for rule of thumb for equivalence tp get at an effective business worth), what does anyone expect with executive directors of no significant competence for managing such increadibly large business activity?

The amalgamation of Toronto was the biggest blunder in Canadian History, and they just threw more gas on that fire by giving them even more autonomy to do as they please with even less oversight and scrunity.

I think the province is trying to distance itself from that mess by giving them more self-direction and control. I thought they tell people to take the keys from drunks at the bar not help them to get a faster car.

Before they gave Toronto more responsibility, you would think they made sure they are able to be responsible first. It been going down hill ever since the amagamation and they blame everything but the amalgamation for it.

one must also consider the devastation done to Toronto via Harris/Eves governemnts, the federal liberals etc who took huge amounts of cash from the city ruining a lot of infrastructure. Toronto is bursting at the seems n terms of transportation because the harris governemnt slashed so much spending in education, road maintenance, subway improvement, cancelled eglinton subway line etc which has ravaged the city. The next 5-10 years Toronto will have to invest heavily in these things to keep it operating at the current level and then more if it wants to think long term. I curse the Harris governement everyday for what ti did to toronto.

Not saying these comments arent valid, caused they are quite legitimate but Toronto is rebuilding from a near meltdown. I hope they do get more powers though, if not for these powers simple things would have to go in front of teh provincial legislature which tries to add on nonsense to it and then it fails.