Healthcare is going to be passed because of ted kennedy's death???

hello85

Aug 31, 2009
we all feel bad for the death of ted kennedy. However, we cannot feel more towards passing the healthcare bill just because of his death and his beliefs. It is absurd to me that politicians and people will want to pass something just because it was supported by an influencial person who died tragically. I just dont understand it. People should take emotions out of politics and out of their decisions especially when it affects the entire country!!
i absolutely agree with that article on that site whoops america. Congress Attempts a Quick Fix

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The health care reform bill is NOT being passed because of the death of Senator Kennedy. It is being passed because we the majority mandated it during the DNC meeting last August:

http://www.demconvention.com/assets/downloads/2008-Democratic-Platform-by-Cmte-08-13-08.pdf

Note that it is PRIORITY ONE and was the basis for the Democratic party landslide victory. We the majority demanded it and in a democracy we are the ones who rule whether anyone from the far right or any other political persuasion likes it or not.

hello85

Aug 31, 2009
yes i do agree with you gopher but there are some people out there who feel sympathetic towards Senator Kennedy's death and that is one of their main reasons for passing their bill.

Reactions: gopher

opim101

Aug 31, 2009
well its unfortunate that us politics have succumbed to sleazy methods to get bills to pass. our founding fathers would be rolling in their graves if they could see the tactics being used today... using the passing of a senator to pass a bill is such a deplorable act...

on top of which the president is nowhere to be found...oh wait that's right he's on vacation in martha's vineyard working on his golf stroke... BRAVO!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Its summer and New Orleans isn't being devasted by a category 4 hurricane. Leaders need a break to avoid burnout like everyone else.

I doubt many politicians would vote in favor of health care plan they didn't like because of Ted Kennedy's death.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
well its unfortunate that us politics have succumbed to sleazy methods to get bills to pass. our founding fathers would be rolling in their graves if they could see the tactics being used today... using the passing of a senator to pass a bill is such a deplorable act...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Where you been hiding for the past 200 years?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I sincerely hope the U.S. gets this health care plan up and running and I hope the transition isn't too painful. It is too bad the parties can't work together because I think if they did, they could come up with the best health care plan in the world.

I found a kind of thumb nail sketch of the highlights of the plan. It may be too simplistic:

Editor's note: I don't personally agree with every interpretation listed here, and some of the bill's provisions are actually good ideas (like banning doctors from owning stock in health care companies). But overall, this interpretation points out many alarming provisions in the proposed health care reform bill...

From CMS at FreeRepublic.com:

• Page 16: States that if you have insurance at the time of the bill becoming law and change, you will be required to take a similar plan. If that is not available, you will be required to take the government option!
• Page 22: Mandates audits of all employers that self-insure!
• Page 29: Admission: your health care will be rationed!
• Page 30: A government committee will decide what treatments and benefits you get (and, unlike an insurer, there will be no appeals process)
• Page 42: The "Health Choices Commissioner" will decide health benefits for you. You will have no choice. None.
• Page 50: All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free healthcare services.
• Page 58: Every person will be issued a National ID Healthcard.
• Page 59: The federal government will have direct, real-time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer.
• Page 65: Taxpayers will subsidize all union retiree and community organizer health plans (example: SEIU, UAW and ACORN)
• Page 72: All private healthcare plans must conform to government rules to participate in a Healthcare Exchange.
• Page 84: All private healthcare plans must participate in the Healthcare Exchange (i.e., total government control of private plans)
• Page 91: Government mandates linguistic infrastructure for services; translation: illegal aliens
• Page 95: The Government will pay ACORN and Americorps to sign up individuals for Government-run Health Care plan.
• Page 102: Those eligible for Medicaid will be automatically enrolled: you have no choice in the matter.
• Page 124: No company can sue the government for price-fixing. No "judicial review" is permitted against the government monopoly. Put simply, private insurers will be crushed.
• Page 127: The AMA sold doctors out: the government will set wages.
• Page 145: An employer MUST auto-enroll employees into the government-run public plan. No alternatives.
• Page 126: Employers MUST pay healthcare bills for part-time employees AND their families.
• Page 149: Any employer with a payroll of $400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays an 8% tax on payroll
• Page 150: Any employer with a payroll of $250K-400K or more, who does not offer the public option, pays a 2 to 6% tax on payroll

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I like the idea of employer paid premiums. Not much of that here unless you are union. Not sure about how it would work for part timers. Especially those who have more than one employer. I would also be happy if the $98/mo that I pay for our "free" health care was tax deductible since there is a law that says I have to pay it. It is also going up with the new budget, unless you are low income and then of course it is free. Kind of like double taxation.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

on top of which the president is nowhere to be found...oh wait that's right he's on vacation in martha's vineyard working on his golf stroke... BRAVO!

Bush and the Republicans pushed for passage of the Patriot Act which was a deplorable restriction on the Bill of Rights. Our Founders fought and died for those rights. How do you think they would feel about this enactment especially after they demanded that we abstain from foreign entanglements?