Head Tax Apology

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
I'm not happy with the PM's move to apology for the head tax in parliament. I had nothing to do with that tax, nor did PM Harper so why should we apologize.

Just as Trudeau said the son is not responsible for the father's sin. If we dwell on apologizing for every injustice commited, when will we move forward.

There isn't a group, race, creed of people that don't deserve an apology for something or another.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's too bad video didn't exist during the time of the head tax. Politicians of the period were often very learned, articulate men. I'm sure, given the context of the time, they could have left a persuasive message for the future. I wouldn't think to second guess them or think anyone on our present government benches would be the equal of the best we had then.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
DasFX said:
I'm not happy with the PM's move to apology for the head tax in parliament. I had nothing to do with that tax, nor did PM Harper so why should we apologize.

Just as Trudeau said the son is not responsible for the father's sin. If we dwell on apologizing for every injustice commited, when will we move forward.

There isn't a group, race, creed of people that don't deserve an apology for something or another.

I'm with you mon this one.

Sort of reminds me of the proposed move in the United States to compensate the descendents of slaves.

One wag proposed that eligible persons be given the option of taking compensation, except it comes with a mandatory one-way ticket to the African nation of their choice.........

The point being, of course, that they were FORTUNATE to wind up in America, no matter how they got here. Why should they be compensated for something they would not reverse even if they could?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Colpy said:
DasFX said:

I'm with you mon this one.

Sort of reminds me of the proposed move in the United States to compensate the descendents of slaves.

One wag proposed that eligible persons be given the option of taking compensation, except it comes with a mandatory one-way ticket to the African nation of their choice.........

The point being, of course, that they were FORTUNATE to wind up in America, no matter how they got here. Why should they be compensated for something they would not reverse even if they could?

Were fortunate to be whipped, beaten, left for death, killed if they wanted some rights, in Southern America. Yeah they were really fortunate.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
The Head tax issue I think should be divided into two parts.
1. Before the Ban on Chinese immigration
2. During the ban.

I believe the Government should apologise for the ban on Chinese immigration because whether or not it was justified the end result was that it made it impossible for families of legal immigrants (those who had paid the head tax and were willing to do so for their wives etc...) to be united,since Chinese immigration itself was prohibited.

Before the ban though is a different story. Nobody was putting a gun to these people' head. If you wanted to enter Canada you paid a fee(there is still an administrative fee today). They paid the head tax of their volition. They had a choice. Why should we apologise or pay for actions entered into by people of their own free will and accord? It is akin to punching somebody in the face and having them apologise to their abuser.

Was the head tax racist? Yes. But these immigrants had a choice and they choose to be discriminated against, they choose to pay the tax and they choose to live with those consequnces. Undoubtedly, the results of the head tax had a negative effect on families and Chinese Canadians but who is culpable? I do not believe Canada should be culpable for the decisions of people made of their own free will, accord and reason.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay, we are talking about the great grandsons and grand daughters of slaves, not the slaves themselves.

The one good thing about Harper's compensation of the Chinese is he is actually compensating the folks that paid, not their offspring who benefitted greatly from the move.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Re: RE: Head Tax Apology

Colpy said:
Jersay, we are talking about the great grandsons and grand daughters of slaves, not the slaves themselves.

The one good thing about Harper's compensation of the Chinese is he is actually compensating the folks that paid, not their offspring who benefitted greatly from the move.

Compensation for slavery is stupid however an apology is needed because of what it caused.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Head Tax Apology

Jersay said:
Colpy said:

Compensation for slavery is stupid however an apology is needed because of what it caused.

OK, who do you propose does the apologizing? On who's behalf?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And of course comes the big question, and I'm sure the one that occupied Canadian politicians of the time: what would a future Canada be like if the head tax in the country's infancy was not imposed?

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The apology on the head tax is nothing but pure manipulation for the liberal Chinese vote. It is clear on Harpers face what exactly he is out to achieve. The Chinese majority vote on the other hand will look at Harper with a doubtful distance before they will give him a majority. Past history has shown that the Chinese community the majority has always voted for a Liberal government vs. a Conservative Government.
It will be interesting to see if the Chinese majority vote will stay Liberal or be persuaded with $20.000 apology payment to change their political elegance.