Have the Liberals turned the media against them?

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
One thing that really stands out for me in this election is how it breaks from most of the federal elections of the past decade... in media coverage.

Sadly, I haven't been able to watch much CBC election coverage due to my work schedule, but CTV has become decidedly pro-Conservative/anti-Liberal in its coverage the past week... and I'm saying that as someone who really wants the Liberals to suffer a major lost this election (I'm assuming that CBC is pro-Liberal like they typically are, and if so, CTV's new stance doesn't bother me because it at least provides balance... though I dislike how the NDP isn't getting much coverage because of it).

There was the Duffy vs. Duffy brush-up on CTV, Bob Fife's almost acting as an apologist for the Conservatives while being interviewed by a CTV anchorman, and even Alan Gregg (who I had also seen as VERY pro-Liberal) strongly critisizing the Liberal attack ads.

I get the distinct impression that these journalists have been won over by, what I guess, is the Tory wave, and that they're probably all going to be voting Conservative.

Also, the media is failing to keep a straight face when questioning Harper about the Liberal attack ads. It appears that they find the ads as absurd as Harper himself does.

CTV always struck me as being more even-handed than most Canadian media outlets (with CBC, Global, and CityTV all having their own bias' ), but now they strike me as pro-Conservative/anti-Liberal.

What do you think is going on here, my fellow posters?

On the one hand, I think that CTV wisely realizes that a Conservative win - particularly a big Conservative win - makes for a more compelling story than a rerun of 2004. Simple ratings may be on their minds.

On the other hand, does this show that the Liberal attack ads (all of them, not just the military one) have failed?

On a third hand, does this show that CTV political commentators and news anchors themsleves have... perhaps switched political alliegances?

I really doubt that Mike Duffy will be voting Liberal in this election, that's for sure... ;)

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
I've read a lot about this going on, but living in the states all I watch is cpac online, which has pretty fair coverage. One thing I did notice was the blatantly obvious anti-conservatism on canadawebpages.com, where I go to see all the polls that come out. As of right now, there are 5 main articles on the page and 4 of them are blatantly anti-conservative. The funny thing is in regards to the Zeisman case, they still have Harpers initial remarks yesterday questioning his accountability as the main headline, with what Harper said today about not supporting him if he got selected already below it under past articles. This seems rather ridiculous to me.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
The media may have had the greatest sway in the adopting of the term "Tory" for the new conservative party. It makes life easier for feeding the masses if you keep the names the same.

I would say overall you are correct in the Harper bias this run. Look at how the threats of a liberal negaive campaign got played yet not much talk was made of the Harperite negative ads.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I would say overall you are correct in the Harper bias this run. Look at how the threats of a liberal negaive campaign got played yet not much talk was made of the Harperite negative ads.

ahhh....jsut look at the responses on this forum after the Tory ads and the Liberal Ads! The Liberal ads were felt by many to attack our military, veterans, and seving men and women. The Tory ads have nothing that is offensive to Canadians but rather they attack the Liberals on the scandals issue (thus offensive to the Liberals). Both parties make assumptions but the Liberal assumptions are obviously way off....while the Torys are not that far from reality, they are just trying to attribute the arrogance and corruption to the Liberals.....and it is a connection many Canadians have made.

...the Liberal ads border on terrorism, as they are trying to strike fear in Canadians by bending reality.

Calberty

Electoral Member
Dec 7, 2005
The CBC is full of relics like Peter Mansbridge who kissed Jean Chretien's ass every opportunity. They look at open Senate seats, Governor General post, etc. and know how to be well behaved. If nothing else, a Conservative government might restore some actual journalistic integrity to the CBC.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Hank,

i was refering to there was more talk about the "liberals going negative" before they did than there was of the negative ads of the Harperites that were running at the time.

I personally do not see what all the fuss over the negative ads of the liberals is about. They are negative ads addressing what Harper supposedly would do if given the opportunity (predicting the future). The Harper ads were trying to pin things on Martin he was cleared of and pin things on Goodale he is still not been charged with. On both counts it is 100% speculative and an attempt to devalue the opponent. Pure politics, nothing more. Notice how negative ads talk more about the weaknessess of those running them and not the subjects? Harper can't actually attack the record of policy and governance of Martin, so he goes after straw men. Martin has no track record of harper other than his hot-air filled right-wing butt kissing speeches, so he goes after that. Bounce both bobble-heads and be done with it. It is only the populace that gets played in this rhetoric. Neither are of any use, so vote against both of them and vote for a real change if you want change.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
The caracal kid - The other 11 ads are within the bounds of what I would consider acceptable campaign ads. A couple of them are even good ads that raise valid questions (though, a couple of them are just silly).

The military ad is unacceptable though. You can argue intent, but you can't argue effect. The outrage from the military is massive. They do deserve an apology.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton
RE: Have the Liberals tur

I have noticed a general trend towards conservatives in the media coverage...on the other hand, is that a result of journalists turning the tide, or is it an effect of just how freaking horrible the normally sound Liberals have campaigned this election. I mean, they have faced scandle in the past and have come out smoking.

A part of me suspects that the only reason why Paul Martin won the last election was as a result of those that thought the Chretianites were against him, and with nostalgic feelings of what he was as a fiance minister, he was destined to succeed.

But this election, just how weak he and his campaign team have run this election is glarlingly obvious. I mean, dear God..did they even show up in the first half? And now they are scrambling in the second have to put together a feisty campaign..but they are coming off as bitter and desperate.

And the other point which we shouldn't discard either is just how well the conservatives have run this well. They started off focusing on the issues, not letting themselves really delve deep into attacks...and Stephen Harper himself has clearly learned from the past how to act and behave. He almost seems statesmen like and the party as a whole seems an actual viable alternative. And in addition, whereas the last time the conservative party was still "new", its had some time to grow, get its feet wet so to speak, and as a result, has become more central.

If you can believe it, there are people in Alberta who are complaining because they don't like the new conservative gov't for being so liberal. hahaha. Weirdos :p

But yah, i notice..but not sure if its part of a bias, or if its a result of the way things have unfolded.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Have the Liberals tur

Semperfi_dani said:
I have noticed a general trend towards conservatives in the media coverage...on the other hand, is that a result of journalists turning the tide, or is it an effect of just how freaking horrible the normally sound Liberals have campaigned this election. I mean, they have faced scandle in the past and have come out smoking.

A part of me suspects that the only reason why Paul Martin won the last election was as a result of those that thought the Chretianites were against him, and with nostalgic feelings of what he was as a fiance minister, he was destined to succeed.

But this election, just how weak he and his campaign team have run this election is glarlingly obvious. I mean, dear God..did they even show up in the first half? And now they are scrambling in the second have to put together a feisty campaign..but they are coming off as bitter and desperate.

And the other point which we shouldn't discard either is just how well the conservatives have run this well. They started off focusing on the issues, not letting themselves really delve deep into attacks...and Stephen Harper himself has clearly learned from the past how to act and behave. He almost seems statesmen like and the party as a whole seems an actual viable alternative. And in addition, whereas the last time the conservative party was still "new", its had some time to grow, get its feet wet so to speak, and as a result, has become more central.

If you can believe it, there are people in Alberta who are complaining because they don't like the new conservative gov't for being so liberal. hahaha. Weirdos :p

But yah, i notice..but not sure if its part of a bias, or if its a result of the way things have unfolded.

AS one of the Alberta "weirdos", I will say that I support Harper without hesitation. He has moved more to the center, the party has moved more to the center, which will attract other voters from other areas. However, he is still far enough right of center to appeal to my conservative values.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Hey..im an Alberta weirdo too..hahaha. But im always so surprised when i hear the hardcores who are turning agaisnt the cons for being too liberal? What the hell more do they want? Hahaha.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
Semperfi_dani - You have a point. I guess that I'm just a bit shell-shocked by it all. It's amazing to see sustained anti-Liberal sentiment on a very mainstream Canadian news network like CTV for at least a solid week now. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw anything like it. The Liberals have probably asked for it themselves, but it's still amazing.

I think that one thing that might have happenned to hurt their campaign is that Martin got lacadasical over the Holidays, with half of the campaign behind him, and still ahead in the polls (at that time). He probably felt that the Conservative campaign, for all its effort, was failing. And then... bam. The Conservatives got what Prime Minister Forever (a great game, by the way) calls "The Big Mo' ", and haven't looked back since.

I think that the lack of movement for the Conservatives in the first half of the campaign was chalked up to their campaign simply being ineffective, leading to overconfidance on Martin's part. The reality, it appears to be now, is that this early lack of movement was probably simply due to Canadians focusing more on Christmas than anything election-related (myself included).

Citizen

Electoral Member
Jan 6, 2006
Re: RE: Have the Liberals tur

bluealberta said:
AS one of the Alberta "weirdos", I will say that I support Harper without hesitation. He has moved more to the center, the party has moved more to the center, which will attract other voters from other areas. However, he is still far enough right of center to appeal to my conservative values.

Harper appears to have moved more to the centre. Naturally, that is what he wants to protray during this campaign. His advisors aren't stupid.

I'm nearly sick with the thought that Harper might win this campaign.

peachy

Jan 14, 2006
Ontario
I want to cry. Heard today that Harper says he will not cut the CBC. That worked well. All it will take is Fox to file a case for unfair competition under the FTA, just like UPS tried with Canada Post, and the CBC is toast. Or Canada will have to fund Fox.

I cannot wait.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
ha...better stockpile the heartburn pills before the 23rd when Harper makes his victory speech live from Calgary :twisted:

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

I really can't understand why I have been supporting the Torys as much as I do currently...as they have become a little too "left wing" for me. However given the current conditions I see this is about as Conservative as we gonna get so I guess I have no other choice. Thankfully provincially I have much more choice...

...anyways I was reading in the paper that it is a good bet that Alberta will be painted blue after election day, I don't think that joke of an Albertan we have up in Edmonton will make the cut this time round.

Semperfi_dani

Electoral Member
Nov 1, 2005
Edmonton

Hank, according the Edmonton Journal, Anne is very close to losing her seat..but she has a way of sqeaking through. The problem though is that the PC guy, Laurie Hawn has not made much of a gain from the last election...his #'s are the same..its that She has lost some footing to the NDP and Green Party...vote split scenario. She herself is well respected and liked in Edmonton...its that her association to the Lib's is what is dragging her down. If she had run as an independant, or from the polk-a-dot party for that matter, she would have a better chance at winning.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
got ya, so the Torys have not made much gains, but Mclellan is seeing more of her vote go to the NDP and Green...thus this vote split might open up the riding for the Torys.

hmmmm....seeing as how Mclellan won by a very small margin of votes last time I think it will be over for her... we as Albertans need to create a united front of Blue to help propel the Torys to victory....it sends a strong message to the rest of Canada too.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anne McLellan

Oh, I dunno — somehow I think that the Hon. Anne McLellan will pull this one off, too. She seems to have incredible luck in Alberta; amidst of a sea of blue, we find one of the higher positions in our Liberal Government of Canada. It's quite an anomoly.

Triple_R

Electoral Member
Jan 8, 2006
It's going to be very tight in Anne's race. I could easily see NDP support going to her at the last second. Green support is the big question, though.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: Anne McLellan

FiveParadox said:
Oh, I dunno — somehow I think that the Hon. Anne McLellan will pull this one off, too. She seems to have incredible luck in Alberta; amidst of a sea of blue, we find one of the higher positions in our Liberal Government of Canada. It's quite an anomoly.

Go go NDP... If we can't do it... THEN WE WILL NADDER YOU! :twisted:

gotta love FPTP... it so works to spite sometimes. =-D