Has USA Become Oligarchy, Not Democracy anymore?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What do you think they'd have to do convince people to vote for them?
Devise a platform that takes advantage of the dissatisfaction with the two majors. Start small, working at local and state level. Build credibility. With that comes more money and a bigger voice. Probably 20 years from inception to winning a national-level election. Less if there are major scandals.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Do you even know who the founding father were other than a bunch of names? They were the rich and powerful of their day and they wanted control by getting rid of the monarchy. Like any war, the rich get the poor to fight it for them while they sit back and watch. Do you really think Washington was ever in the line of fire? Just feed the peons a bunch of patriotic BS and voila, you gots your revolution/war.

The ruling elite almost never get elected to government. No, they hire puppets to do their bidding. That is why I laugh at all the hatred thrown at Obama, because he is a puppet. The system is designed that way because most people aren't smart enough to figure out that politicians are just scape goats for those who really call the shots.
So they got rid of the monarchy and gave us the Bush and Clinton families .
The next American civil war will resemble the war of the roses with the winner getting the crown .
My bet is on Chelsea . ( it sounds like a proper English name you know )

If you define "what people want" as the current system and policies that favour the elite. The study showed that people didn't want that, but voted for political parties that gave them that. The implication being that by voting people are not getting what the want. They got what they voted for but they didn't vote for what they wanted.
Sure but that holds true in Canada as well as the United States . We live in a Constitutional Monarchy well they live in a Republic .
We both get to vote but neither is true democracy .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
So they got rid of the monarchy and gave us the Bush and Clinton families .
The next American civil war will resemble the war of the roses with the winner getting the crown .
My bet is on Chelsea . ( it sounds like a proper English name you know )

Sure but that holds true in Canada as well as the United States . We live in a Constitutional Monarchy well they live in a Republic .
I have heard Republicans refer to Chelsea as being rather horsey.
Whether republican or democrats win is irrelevant because both parties are bought and sold by the same ruling class. And proof that the American electorate are willfully ignorant can be found right here on CC - Wally Wal-Mart (even though he is just a Yanky wannabe like Boomer).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Whether republican or democrats win is irrelevant because both parties are bought and sold by the same ruling class. And proof that the American electorate are willfully ignorant can be found right here on CC - Wally Wal-Mart (even though he is just a Yanky wannabe like Boomer).

and that falls squarely on the lap of the electorate. No one else is to blame for allowing it.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
(even though he is just a Yanky wannabe like Boomer).

Hey idiot, I have dual citizenship moron.. I'm not a Yankee wannabe, I'm 50% Yankee.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well I have no qualms about Chelsea's horse face , funny the first I heard about it was just now, from you .
Are you a closet republican Cliffy ?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
It' doesn't feel good to be cynical, jaded. When you're a youngster you want to believe that everything has always been on the up and up and that your countries leadership is as good as gold. You feel a sense of security in those beliefs as a kid. Then as you begin to read a book or two about history and things like the robber barons and the like, you sit back , stare at the walls and think to yourself, I believed a load of S*** most of my life. This country has always been an oligarchy. The privileged have always ran the show from day one with the image they created presented to the masses for the sole purpose of maintaining civility and order. Could always be worse though I guess.

And I do believe this is pretty common and is true regarding most societies going back thousands of years.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Devise a platform that takes advantage of the dissatisfaction with the two majors. Start small, working at local and state level. Build credibility. With that comes more money and a bigger voice. Probably 20 years from inception to winning a national-level election. Less if there are major scandals.

I think build credibility is your phase 2 there.

A similar study would probably find that Canada is the same, although I'd suspect less so. I think most Conservative voters got exactly what they wanted from Harper.