Gunfire, Explosions After MIT Cop Shot Dead

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
so the owner of the house, saw blood on the boat, walked up to it, lifted up the tarp, saw a man covered with blood, dropped the tarp, walked away and called the police... um, does this seem bizarre to anyone else?
it's bizarre because this is the biggest attack on American soil since 911. The two of them wrecked devestation not only upon a nation but essentially upon the world. They held the world captive.The kid ends up leaking blood, hiding in a freaking boat and is found by your normal every day citizen cowering and wounded. If BlackLeaf wants irony there is so much irony here, so much symbolism.... Reminds me of that poem, out with a whimper or a bang... he goes out with a whimper.

And for what?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
it's bizarre because this is the biggest attack on American soil since 911. The two of them wrecked devestation not only upon a nation but essentially upon the world. They held the world captive.The kid ends up leaking blood, hiding in a freaking boat and is found by your normal every day citizen cowering and wounded. If BlackLeaf wants irony there is so much irony here, so much symbolism.... Reminds me of that poem, out with a whimper or a bang... he goes out with a whimper.

And for what?

For what? For nothing, outside of wanton destruction, that's all that's ever really wrought by these types of actions.

If it's irony, then it's just the irony of life. Reality is, at times, the most bizarre construct. Truth is after all stranger than fiction.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
For what? For nothing, outside of wanton destruction, that's all that's ever really wrought by these types of actions.

If it's irony, then it's just the irony of life. Reality is, at times, the most bizarre construct. Truth is after all stranger than fiction.
bingo.....it IS the reality of life...he was leaking blood (life force) and got caught (by an every day citizen) (with no fracking gun) the irony is so rich if I were doing an essay on this, the symbolism is beautiful.

He backed up over his brother I am curious as hell to know if that was a panic reaction or a pact,

He is in the same hospital as his victims.

Russia had warned the FBI about these guys. They'd been followed.

It's unending... but really, it's just life.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
He backed up over his brother I am curious as hell to know if that was a panic reaction or a pact,

My impression, and this may change, is that it was the older brother that may have been the catalyst for the extremist actions. Don't know why exactly but that's just my impression. Perhaps it's because commentary from people who knew both brothers is so different, the older one people seemed to not be quite so surprised. But the younger one, everyone seems shocked, that he was well integrated, not a loner, etc. Maybe I'm wrong and he is an extremist, but if I had to guess, I'd wager that it was panic.

Note too, that while I don't think he was the instigator, I'm not excusing his behaviour one bit.

He is in the same hospital as his victims.
That's unnerving.

Russia had warned the FBI about these guys. They'd been followed.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Not to infer that you are suggesting the FBI did anything wrong, but I can see now that a lot of people will be making a big deal over that. I have to imagine though that the FBI gets a lot of tips, they probably follow a lot of people probably needlessly (in the end). I can't fault them for not being prescient.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
My impression, and this may change, is that it was the older brother that may have been the catalyst for the extremist actions. Don't know why exactly but that's just my impression. Perhaps it's because commentary from people who knew both brothers is so different, the older one people seemed to not be quite so surprised. But the younger one, everyone seems shocked, that he was well integrated, not a loner, etc. Maybe I'm wrong and he is an extremist, but if I had to guess, I'd wager that it was panic.

Note too, that while I don't think he was the instigator, I'm not excusing his behaviour one bit.
I don't think anyone could ever excuse that type of behaviour but I feel sad for him. He's a 19 year old kid. He made insane choices and acted on them. He purposely took lives. It could have been someone I loved or you loved. The impact he has had on others is almost incomprehensible. There are amputations, PTSD, an endless list of ugly that will never go away. Yet a small piece of my humanity was moved for him because he was someone's baby, friend, brother.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Not to infer that you are suggesting the FBI did anything wrong, but I can see now that a lot of people will be making a big deal over that. I have to imagine though that the FBI gets a lot of tips, they probably follow a lot of people probably needlessly (in the end). I can't fault them for not being prescient.
It doesn't matter if they did something wrong or not. They did what they did, the best they could with the information they had. They were just two young men with bright lives in their future. Hindsight is 20/20.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

That was pretty recent but I'm still not inclined to think they dropped the ball on it. I can only guess at the volume of individuals they interview and open files on.

I don't think anyone could ever excuse that type of behaviour but I feel sad for him. He's a 19 year old kid. He made insane choices and acted on them. He purposely took lives. It could have been someone I loved or you loved. The impact he has had on others is almost incomprehensible. There are amputations, PTSD, an endless list of ugly that will never go away. Yet a small piece of my humanity was moved for him because he was someone's baby, friend, brother.

It's sad when anyone that young goes astray, youth is supposed to be about hopes and promises. And I do often feel sympathy for the families of perpetrators. I can't imagine what it would be like to love a person despite them doing something like this and having the entire world vilifying them for it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That was pretty recent but I'm still not inclined to think they dropped the ball on it. I can only guess at the volume of individuals they interview and open files on.
I'm not willing to say they dropped the ball either.

The US is still a free society that relies heavily on the principle of due process.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm not willing to say they dropped the ball either.

You know me, I'm always looking at the 'human angle'. The FBI are skilled investigators but they don't have a crystal ball. They can only assess the information they have before them at the time.

In one of the many, many news articles I've read on the whole bombing, there was one comment that was actually criticizing the Boston Police for not 'doing their jobs' on the day of the marathon. Not 'catching them in the act' so to speak. Suggesting they should have seen them leaving the bags on the ground, and I thought to myself "Holy cow, can you imagine the crowds at this event?". I mean, vigilance is one thing but there remains an element of 'luck and happenstance' to catching someone in the act, to my way of thinking anyway.

The US is still a free society that relies heavily on the principle of due process.
Well of course. Strictly speaking they are still at this point in time still just suspects/accused...not convicted.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They need to leave his father alone...it's enough now...they are beginning to act like paparazzi... like the poor bugger doesn't have enough to deal with.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They need to leave his father alone...it's enough now...they are beginning to act like paparazzi... like the poor bugger doesn't have enough to deal with.

Absolutely agree, 100%.

This man I feel very sorry for. He went back home because he was ill, if I'm not mistaken.

I feel the same way I felt when the press were hounding the father of that Georgian luger who died at the Olympics. Just let the man deal with his pain.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I feel nothing for the father. He claimed there would be hell to pay if his 19-year old was killed too. Perhaps he'd like to come to Boston and bitch about the treatment of his sons. See how long he lasts before his teeth are knocked out.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I feel nothing for the father. He claimed there would be hell to pay if his 19-year old was killed too. Perhaps he'd like to come to Boston and bitch about the treatment of his sons. See how long he lasts before his teeth are knocked out.

Maybe. But until I hear more threats, I'm willing to assign that comment to grief. I'd hate to have anyone judge me when I was feeling that much emotional overload.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Maybe. But until I hear more threats, I'm willing to assign that comment to grief. I'd hate to have anyone judge me when I was feeling that much emotional overload.
Especially if you weren't aware that your offspring may have been capable of such a heinous and cowardly act.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Especially if you weren't aware that your offspring may have been capable of such a heinous and cowardly act.

It would be hard for a lot of parents to believe, I'm sure. And when you're living halfway across the world from them in the last couple of years, you only have their word to go by for how they are doing.

Not to mention that the media is not exactly known for their tact and gentleness either. I'm reminded, although completely off-topic, of when John Lennon died and some reporter shoved a microphone in Paul McCartney's face and asked the burning question "How do you feel?". His facial expression said 'how the **** do you think I feel?' but of course that's not what he actually said. And this is a guy who has loads of experience dealing with the media. So I'm trying to imagine what it could possibly be like for an average joe to hear that kind of news and have a microphone and camera shoved into his face. If it was me, I'm sure it would not be my most stellar moment.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It would be hard for a lot of parents to believe, I'm sure. And when you're living halfway across the world from them in the last couple of years, you only have their word to go by for how they are doing.

Not to mention that the media is not exactly known for their tact and gentleness either. I'm reminded, although completely off-topic, of when John Lennon died and some reporter shoved a microphone in Paul McCartney's face and asked the burning question "How do you feel?". His facial expression said 'how the **** do you think I feel?' but of course that's not what he actually said. And this is a guy who has loads of experience dealing with the media. So I'm trying to imagine what it could possibly be like for an average joe to hear that kind of news and have a microphone and camera shoved into his face. If it was me, I'm sure it would not be my most stellar moment.
I think many people do not want to understand because they believe that by distancing themselves nothing like this would ever happen to them or anyone close to them. It's shielding.

I think of someone close to me that did some really bad things not even close to this scale, I know the shame I felt and the absolute tug to pull away and distance myself while at the same time lend support. It is a terrible place to be. Luckily I had/have real friends who understood exactly how I was tugged both ways.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think many people do not want to understand because they believe that by distancing themselves nothing like this would ever happen to them or anyone close to them. It's shielding.

It's also a parental blind spot too. I've known parents that absolutely cannot see even small occurrences of poor behaviour in their child. They can't see it, are absolutely blind to it. Despite overwhelming evidence. I can't envision what it would take to convince me that my child had done something like this.

I think of someone close to me that did some really bad things not even close to this scale, I know the shame I felt and the absolute tug to pull away and distance myself while at the same time lend support. It is a terrible place to be. Luckily I had/have real friends who understood exactly how I was tugged both ways.
I would imagine it would be really isolating, even if people say they understand, they really don't. I would think it would test all the patience, strength and love inside of you just coping with it.