Greta

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When you think of kids finishing high school and taking a year off before heading to university hoping to find direction the military would be a very good option. Key is to improve productivity which is very low in Canada. It would also be a way for those involved to get a pay check involving some form of accountability. I think the country would be better off for it.
I hope you don't mean one year of military service. Only the lowest-skilled jobs can pay off for the military with only 9-10 months service (after training).

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
When you think of kids finishing high school and taking a year off before heading to university hoping to find direction the military would be a very good option. Key is to improve productivity which is very low in Canada. It would also be a way for those involved to get a pay check involving some form of accountability. I think the country would be better off for it.
Free post secondary for doing 2 years or 2 years towards red seal.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
More enlightened places are doing red seal in high school. Having two red seal trades, I am no longer sure this is a good idea. Perhaps in other places tradespeople are treated better than in BC. Mechanics in particular get the shitty end of the stick here.
Anyway, about obtaining a red seal, or working towards it while in high school. While learning about trades at a young age is certainly a good thing. To be stuck in one trade at an early age probably isn't. Especially when there are union jurisdictions involved. It gets complicated and expensive to change trades. Getting an overview of different trades, with some real work time in a variety of trades would be a good thing.
When I was in high school, we had extremely good shops, and got to play with a bit of everything. We even did sand casting in aluminum and brass. Many school districts don't even have shops in all their high schools, so kids don't get to try a few things to see what they might like.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
More enlightened places are doing red seal in high school. Having two red seal trades, I am no longer sure this is a good idea. Perhaps in other places tradespeople are treated better than in BC. Mechanics in particular get the shitty end of the stick here.
Anyway, about obtaining a red seal, or working towards it while in high school. While learning about trades at a young age is certainly a good thing. To be stuck in one trade at an early age probably isn't. Especially when there are union jurisdictions involved. It gets complicated and expensive to change trades. Getting an overview of different trades, with some real work time in a variety of trades would be a good thing.
When I was in high school, we had extremely good shops, and got to play with a bit of everything. We even did sand casting in aluminum and brass. Many school districts don't even have shops in all their high schools, so kids don't get to try a few things to see what they might like.
Mastering high school geometry pays better from day one than a $200K 4 year BA after 8 years.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
When I lived in Vancouver as a "young thing" I met several guys involved in construction; carpenters, pipe fitters et al. I remember one guy stating that he had an "easy time" of it that day because when he reached a certain point in what his duties were in construction, he couldn't go any further because another "trades person" would have to come and, (as an example) move a pipe because plumbers or pipefitters were the only ones to be able to move the pipe. So he couldn't do any more until that pipe was moved. Sometimes the pipe move happened right away & others it happened whenever "someone" was available to move said pipe. I couldn't understand that. I asked him "couldn't you move it?" and was told no, he knew how to but he couldn't because it was against "union rules" He said that's one reason why building is so expensive in B.C. because of unnecessary rules that holds up building anything. He said it's frustrating for the trades as well altho' there are those who support this because it protects their jobs. Guess it doesn't actually matter whether it's efficient or cost effective.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
When I lived in Vancouver as a "young thing" I met several guys involved in construction; carpenters, pipe fitters et al. I remember one guy stating that he had an "easy time" of it that day because when he reached a certain point in what his duties were in construction, he couldn't go any further because another "trades person" would have to come and, (as an example) move a pipe because plumbers or pipefitters were the only ones to be able to move the pipe. So he couldn't do any more until that pipe was moved. Sometimes the pipe move happened right away & others it happened whenever "someone" was available to move said pipe. I couldn't understand that. I asked him "couldn't you move it?" and was told no, he knew how to but he couldn't because it was against "union rules" He said that's one reason why building is so expensive in B.C. because of unnecessary rules that holds up building anything. He said it's frustrating for the trades as well altho' there are those who support this because it protects their jobs. Guess it doesn't actually matter whether it's efficient or cost effective.
Not my job .

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Reminds me of an old joke. Joe is driving through the country one day and sees 2 guys working. One is digging a ditch. The other is following him and filling the ditch back in. Joe is curious about this and he stops and asks them what they are doing. They tell him they are laying pipe but Frank is off sick today.