Gravies and sauces

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nothing finishes off the preparation of a nice beef, chicken, turkey, etc, roast than a rich, tasty, gravy. Most of the time, there will be enough drippings from the roast to make your gravy. A couple tablespoons of flour into the pan drippings to make a roux, into which stock can be whisked will generally turn out a pretty good gravy.
A fairly good gravy can also be made using beef, chicken, or vegetable broths(from a can) if you don't have good stock. Onions, garlic, or mushrooms can be thrown in to add to the flavour. A touch of Bovril can be added to give a little more colour. Thickening can be with a flour and butter roux, or whisk cornstarch and water into the hot stock.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is the traditional recipe for Hollandaise Sauce and the easiest to put together.

Hollandaise Sauce

Hollandaise sauce is delicious over asparagus or other cooked vegetables, fish dishes, and Eggs Benedict.
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • dash cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • finely chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Heat butter in a heavy saucepan until hot and foamy, but not browned. In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg yolks with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper or hot sauce. Gradually beat in butter, then water. Return mixture to saucepan and beat over very low heat until mixture is slightly thickened. Serve immediately or let stand over warm water for up to 30 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Makes about 2/3 cup of Hollandaise sauce.

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
Hollandaise is yummy.
Um, Dirtylinder, is anyone forcing you to eat it? That's a personal preference thing. As far as I know, the contents of most sauces and gravies can be varied according to personal preference.

Nope, no one could ever force me to eat chemical flavourings...the hollondaise sauce sounds awesome...I make incredible gravy, and sauces.....Has anyone ever tried creme cheese syrup over belgium waffles topped with strawberries? mmmnnnn....add a little Champane and OJ, and your Christmas Breaky will be one they will remember!

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Being vegetarian, I kind of had given up gravy, until we visited Vancouver several years ago and ate at that Naam (SP?) restaurant in Kitsliano- we liked the gravy SO much that we got the ingredients roughly figured out (they sell bottles of it, proportions aren't listed but the ingredients are)

It's basically a mix of tahini, Miso and mustard warmed on the stove, with whatever additional spices you like mixed in. Goes good with whatever, I find

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Cool. Not a big fan of miso muself but wife likes it.

Here's a Bearnaise sauce we find quite awesome:

First, take:

1/4 Medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. dry tarragon, or good wad of fresh
Good grind of black pepper
1/2 cup Chablis

Simmer in small pan until liquid reduced to a couple tablespoons. Meanwhile, in another small pan, put:

1/2 pound of butter

Melt gently and bring to gentle simmer.

In the blender put:

6 egg yolks
2-3 tbl. tarragon vinegar

The trick is to have all three parts ready at the same time. When the wine has simmered down about right the butter should just be coming to a simmer, and the blender should be ready. Then:

Turn on the blender and dribble in the butter, sort of slowly at first. When the butter is all added, add the wine reduction. Let it whirl for a few seconds, then put it in a bowl and chill it for a couple hours.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
lol *throws our Oster blender out and rushes out to get the KitchenAid blender mentioned in the vid*

Never thought of using vids as recipe cards. Cool. Wonder if I can pipe it to the kitchen.

Don't throw away the Oster blender. Some mayonaise recipes won't work on anything else.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I prefer instant potatoes to thicken rather than flour. Also tapioca or rice starch can be used.
One of my favorites is to add cream of mushroom soup to whatever juices are left in a roast pan.

I use cream of mushroom soup as well...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
With 40,000 RPM you could make mayonnaise you could stand a shovel in...:lol::roll: