Gonzales

Gonzales ?

• Yes, that pig should be fired for firing those lawyers

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No, he is doing a fine job and needs to stay.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

CDN87

Nominee Member
Dec 24, 2006
CBS Says Gonzales Will Exit Soon -- As McClatchy Reports His Apology to Attorneys

Published: March 16, 2007 8:00 PM ET

NEW YORK CBS News reported Friday night that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales will be fired soon, probably after another weekend of taking shots from Democrats and Republicans alike.

The report came on the CBS Evening News.

Republicans close to the White House told CBS News chief White House correspondent Jim Axelrod that President Bush is in "his usual posture: pugnacious, that no one is going to tell him who to fire." But sources also said Gonzales' firing is just a matter of time, Axelrod said.

The White House is bracing for a weekend of criticism and more calls for Gonzales to go, CBS related. One source said he's never seen the administration in such deep denial, "and Republicans are growing increasingly restless for the president to take action," CBS reported.

Meanwhile, one of the eight recently fired U.S. attorneys told Katie Couric he lost his job because he "did not play ball" with powerful Republicans.

"I believe, and I think all my colleagues believe, the real reason is partisan politics," the former U.S. Attorney for the District of New Mexico, David Iglesias told Couric. "I believe I was fired because I did not play ball with two members of the Republican delegation here in New Mexico. I did not give them privileged information that could have been used in the October and November time frame."

McClatchy Newspapers report that Gonzales "apologized to the nation's 93 U.S. attorneys in a conference call Friday as he tried to hold on to his job amid the scandal over the firings of eight federal prosecutors.

"In another move to repair his credibility, Gonzales named a respected U.S. attorney from Virginia, Chuck Rosenberg, as his interim chief of staff to replace Kyle Sampson, who stepped down because of his involvement in the controversy."

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003559541

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
He is doing as he is told to do. While his integrity is in question replacing appointees is a part of the "Spoils" system the US government permits. What is disturbing is how is was done and the way it was later explained. This is another of the examples the US citizens had better look at seriously. To me, it but one incident in a recent history of events where the truth is never discussed. We are being deliberatley lied to. They are smater than that. They just 1) never answer the question. and 2) will talk about anything but the subject being discussed. That in itself is being dishonest and deceitful.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
So many short term memories in Washinton

The lines of demarcation in the controversy over the recent firing of eight U.S. Attorneys is that Bill Clinton fired every one of 93 U.S. Attorneys, with scant media attention and little protest from Republicans. So why the outrage now? Dan Eggen of the Washington Post has been at the forefront of elite media coverage. In several articles on the subject (including his most recent), Mr. Eggen has indicated that Bill Clinton AND George Bush BOTH conducted purges when they took office, firing nearly ALL U.S. Attorneys. Stating this appears to be an attempt by Mr. Eggen to blunt the primary Republican counterpoint to the MSM and Democratic "outrage"...that 93 scalps is a lot more than 8, and several orders of magnitude higher on the "politically motivated" scale. However, while the purge of U.S. Attorneys by President Clinton is undisputed, my attempts to get documentation of a similar purge by President Bush have to date been unsuccessful. These attempts included a direct request to Mr.Eggen to provide a link to source material to support his assertions of a Bush purge.

Additionally, despite extensive coverage of this issue on their programs, neither Chris Wallace or Brit Hume mentioned a Bush purge similar to Clinton's. In fact, Mort Kondracke specifically mentioned on Foxnews yesterday that there was no "Bush purge". So the question for Dan Eggen is: "Did George Bush conduct a purge of U.S. Attorneys as you allege, and if so, where is the proof?

Edit: Bill Clinton did ask Janet Reno to fire all 93 U.S. attorneys when he took office in 1993...but only 93 were fired. Senator Bill Bradley intervened for Michael Chertoff, the current Homeland Security boss. In August 2001, Bush "nominated six new prosecutors leaving 87 Clinton "appointees" in office. Does that mean Bush "reappointed them"????

I know I know it's complicated (and boring) and that's why I looked it up....it's taking me years to learn all the government stuff down here....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/113/AR2007031300776.html?nav%3Dhcmodule&sub=AR

Gonzales: 'Mistakes Were Made'
But Attorney General Defends Firings of Eight U.S. Attorneys

[SIZE=-1]By Dan Eggen and Paul Kane[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Washington Post Staff Writers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wednesday, March 14, 2007; A01[/SIZE]

Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales took responsibility yesterday for "mistakes" related to the firing of eight U.S. attorneys last year but rejected calls for his resignation from Democrats who accuse him of misleading Congress.
"I acknowledge that mistakes were made here. I accept that responsibility," Gonzales said. He said he did not know the details of the plan to fire the prosecutors, but he defended the dismissals: "I stand by the decision, and I think it was a right decision."
The remarks came after the Justice Department released e-mails and other documents showing that, despite months of administration statements to the contrary, the White House more than two years ago initiated the process that led to the dismissals, and that the decisions were heavily influenced by assessments of the prosecutors' political loyalty. President Bush and senior White House adviser Karl Rove also separately passed along complaints to Gonzales that prosecutors were not aggressively pursuing voter-fraud cases, officials said.
The revelations prompted another outcry on Capitol Hill over the firings and new demands for Gonzales's resignation from key Democrats, including Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.), Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.) and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (Mass.). "It appears he's over his head in this job," Reid said.
Even Republicans who have supported the ousters sharply criticized the attorney general.
But Gonzales said he is "here not because I give up," and White House counselor Dan Bartlett said Bush has "all the confidence in the world" in Gonzales, who has served Bush for more than 12 years in Texas and Washington.
Democrats also renewed calls for testimony from Rove and Harriet E. Miers, the former White House counsel who first suggested in February 2005 that all 93 U.S. attorneys be removed and whose office was provided with evolving lists of at least a dozen prosecutors targeted for ouster. The White House signaled that it would resist the demands.
E-mails released yesterday show that White House deputy political director J. Scott Jennings communicated with Justice officials about the appointment of Tim Griffin, a former Rove aide, to be the U.S. attorney in Little Rock. Jennings used an e-mail account registered to the Republican National Committee, where Griffin had worked as an opposition researcher.
Democratic congressional aides said they will investigate whether using the private address for government business violated laws against using taxpayer resources for political work or signaled that White House officials considered the firing of U.S. attorneys to be primarily a political issue. Jennings did not return a call to his office seeking a comment.
"As a matter of course, the RNC provides server space and equipment to certain White House personnel in order to assist them with their political efforts," RNC spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said.
Seven U.S. attorneys were fired on Dec. 7, and another was let go months earlier, with little explanation from Justice Department officials, who later told Congress that the dismissals were related to their performance in office. Several former prosecutors have since alleged intimidation, including improper telephone calls from GOP lawmakers or their aides, and have alleged threats of retaliation by a Justice Department official.
Although Bush and President Bill Clinton each dismissed nearly all U.S. attorneys upon taking office, legal experts and former prosecutors say the firing of a large number of prosecutors in the middle of a term appears to be unprecedented and threatens the independence of prosecutors.
In defending themselves yesterday, Gonzales and the White House implicitly laid much of the blame for miscommunication with Congress on D. Kyle Sampson, who resigned Monday as Gonzales's chief of staff as the result of not telling other Justice officials about his extensive communications with the White House about the dismissals.
Gonzales, likening himself to a chief executive who delegates responsibility to others, said he knew few details about how Sampson was orchestrating the prosecutors' removal.
"I was not involved in seeing any memos, was not involved in any discussions about what was going on," he said. "That's basically what I knew as the attorney general."
Gonzales said he accepted Sampson's resignation because, by withholding information from other Justice officials, he led them to provide "incomplete information" in testimony to Congress. Gonzales did not comment on his own testimony in January, when he assured senators that he would never fire a U.S. attorney for political reasons.
The administration, which has offered varying explanations for the dismissals over the past three months, also returned to arguments yesterday that the U.S. attorneys were dismissed for performance-related reasons and that the removals were well within presidential prerogatives. Bartlett said it is "highly unlikely" that the administration would allow Rove or Miers to testify before Congress.
The Justice e-mails and internal documents, which were first reported yesterday by The Washington Post, show that political loyalty and positions on signature GOP policy issues loomed large in weighing whether a prosecutor should be dismissed. One e-mail from Sampson, for example, notes that the appointment of Griffin in Little Rock "was important to Harriet, Karl, etc."
The documents also illustrate that after nearly two years of debate, the dismissal of the seven prosecutors in December was carried out under a plan by Sampson that provided step-by-step guidance on how the prosecutors would be fired, who would be notified and how to deal with criticism. One section of the plan was titled "Preparing for Political Upheaval."
"I am concerned that to execute this plan properly we must all be on the same page and be steeled to withstand any political upheaval that might result," Sampson wrote to Miers and her deputy, William Kelley, on Nov. 15.
In an earlier e-mail, Sampson asked another Justice official whether then-U.S. Attorney Carol S. Lam of San Diego had been admonished for not prosecuting more immigration cases.
Has the deputy attorney general's office "ever called Carol Lam and woodshedded her re immigration enforcement? Has anyone?" Sampson wrote.
The e-mails indicate that then-U.S. attorney David C. Iglesias of New Mexico was added to the firing list in October, about the same time he says he received telephone calls from Sen. Pete V. Domenici (R-N.M.) and Rep. Heather A. Wilson (R-N.M.). Iglesias alleges they pressured him to speed up a corruption investigation of state Democrats before the November elections.
The firings did not prevent Iglesias from asking Sampson in early January if Gonzales would put in a good word for him with prospective employers.
"David, I am well thank you," Sampson replied by e-mail on Jan. 10. "You can list the AG as a reference -- not a problem. Good luck!"
On Capitol Hill, a few additional Democrats called for Gonzales to resign, while lawmakers from both parties lined up to castigate the attorney general for his handling of the firings and for a separate revelation last week that the FBI had abused its power to seize personal records of Americans. Senate Republicans also began negotiating with Democrats over legislation to strip Gonzales of his right to avoid Senate oversight by appointing interim prosecutors indefinitely.
Many administration defenders had harsh words for the Justice Department. Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) called the department "dysfunctional," while Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) said "the appearances are troubling" and criticized Gonzales's handling of the issue.
"Everybody who's appointed by the White House understands that they serve at the pleasure of the president," said Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.), whose home-state prosecutor was among those fired. He added that "a good leader does not just dismiss somebody for no good reason, especially if you haven't done your job in the first place. And I don't feel that the U.S. attorney general's office did their job in the first place."
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) last week led the defense of the administration and criticized Lam. But yesterday he said on PBS's "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer" that "if someone led us astray, they should resign, and I don't care how high it is, anyone involved with this coverup of giving us the truth needs to step down. . . . I am including anybody who would mislead, deliberately mislead the Congress. . . . If it's the attorney general who had a hand in it, then he has to step down."
Sen. Charles E. Schumer (N.Y.), the first Democrat to call for Gonzales to resign, said the latest revelations show a "breach of trust." He said Sampson's departure increased the pressure on Gonzales to do the same.
"In fact, it raises the temperature. Kyle Sampson will not become the next Scooter Libby, the fall guy," Schumer said, referring to the former vice presidential aide recently convicted of perjury.
Staff writers John Solomon and Peter Baker and staff researcher Madonna Lebling contributed to this report.

Sacrificial lambs are running all over the Capitol.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Prosecutor Firings

Actually, there is no valid comparison between what Clinton did in 1993 and what Bush has done now:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200703160009

Fri, Mar 16, 2007 4:04pm EST

Myths and falsehoods in the U.S. attorney scandal

In December 2006, the Bush administration fired seven U.S. attorneys, having fired one previously. As Media Matters for America has previously noted, three of the dismissed prosecutors were, according to a March 1 Washington Post article, "conducting corruption probes involving Republicans" when they were asked to step down, while others have claimed that they felt pressured to speed up or initiate investigations targeting Democrats. Many news reports have suggested political interference in the justice system, and on March 6, both the House and Senate began hearings on the attorney's dismissals.
In reporting on the scandal, media figures have advanced several false, misleading, or baseless claims about the attorneys' dismissals:
1. Attorneys were dismissed for "performance-related" issues
On February 6, then-deputy attorney general Paul McNulty testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee that the dismissals were "performance-related," despite conceding in the same testimony that performance played no role in at least one dismissal, that of H.E. "Bud" Cummins III. Indeed, McNulty testified that Cummins' resignation was forced "to provide a fresh start with a new person in that position." This "new person" was J. Timothy Griffin, a former aide to White House senior adviser Karl Rove who replaced Cummins in December 2006. In a recently released December 19, 2006, email, D. Kyle Sampson, then-chief of staff to Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales, stated: "Getting him [Griffin] appointed was important to Harriet, Karl, etc." -- a reference to Rove and then-White House counsel Harriet Miers. Nevertheless, news outlets, such as Fox News' Special Report with Brit Hume, uncritically repeated McNulty's claim that the firings were all "performance-related." Other media figures, such as CBS' Jim Axelrod, have simply reported that "Democrats say" that "the U.S. attorney in Arkansas was fired ... to open a job for a Karl Rove deputy," while making no mention of the substantial evidence supporting this allegation.
2. Bush dismissals comparable to Clinton's '93 dismissals
Several media outlets have compared the Bush administration's controversial dismissals of eight U.S. attorneys to President Clinton's dismissal of almost all U.S. attorneys upon taking office in 1993. Clinton's firing of the prosecutors was highlighted March 13 at Drudgereport.com, the website of Internet gossip Matt Drudge. Over the next 24 hours, several media outlets -- including Fox News, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Times, and MSNBC -- echoed the unfounded comparison between the Clinton and Bush dismissals.
In fact, while both Clinton and Bush dismissed nearly all U.S. attorneys upon taking office following an administration of the opposite party, The Washington Post reported in a March 14 article that "legal experts and former prosecutors say the firing of a large number of prosecutors in the middle of a term appears to be unprecedented and threatens the independence of prosecutors."
A March 13 McClatchy Newspapers article -- headlined "Current situation is distinct from Clinton firings of U.S. attorneys" -- further noted that "[m]ass firings of U.S. attorneys are fairly common when a new president takes office, but not in a second-term administration." The article added that "Justice Department officials acknowledged it would be unusual for the president to oust his own appointees."
3. Clinton fired Arkansas U.S. attorney to avoid Whitewater investigation
In a March 14 editorial, The Wall Street Journal suggested that former President Bill Clinton "dismiss[ed] ... all 93 U.S. Attorneys" upon taking office in 1993 and subsequently appointed " 'Friend of Bill' Paula Casey" as the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Arkansas in order to avoid an investigation into "the Clintons' Whitewater dealings." Following the Journal editorial, co-host Sean Hannity made a similar suggestion on the March 14 edition of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes. Hannity baselessly suggested that Clinton "fire[d] the Little Rock U.S. attorney" in 1993 because he had launched an "investigation into ... the Whitewater deal." In fact, Casey's Republican-appointed predecessor, Charles A. Banks, had refused to pursue the Whitewater matter, reportedly in defiance of pressure from George H.W. Bush administration officials in search of a pre-election issue with which to tar challenger Clinton.
Moreover, as Media Matters has documented, the extensive investigation into Whitewater -- initiated shortly after Clinton took office -- ultimately led the independent counsel to close the probe without charging the Clintons with any wrongdoing.
4. McKay shirked responsibility to investigate voter fraud allegations
The March 14 Journal editorial also asserted that the Bush administration dismissed former U.S. attorney John McKay because he had "declined" to investigate allegations of voter fraud in the 2004 Washington state gubernatorial race "apparently on the grounds that he had better things to do." In fact, McKay testified that he did not convene a grand jury to investigate the matter because "there was no evidence of voter fraud."
5. Under new law, Bush still cannot appoint interim U.S. attorneys indefinitely
On the March 13 edition of Fox News' Special Report with Brit Hume, National Public Radio's Mara Liasson falsely claimed that under new rules governing the appointment of interim U.S. attorneys, the Bush administration could appoint people to those positions, "but they couldn't stay there" without Senate confirmation. She added that "Congress could have pulled the plug on every one of them -- every one of the new ones if they didn't like them." In fact, a law enacted in March 2006 as part of the renewal of the USA Patriot Act does allow an administration-appointed "interim" U.S. attorney to serve indefinitely without Senate confirmation -- a change that lies at the heart of the current U.S. attorney scandal. If the president does not nominate a permanent replacement for his "interim" appointee, the appointee could serve at least until the end of the president's term in office, thus denying Congress the opportunity to "pull the plug" on Bush's appointee.
6. Since the president has the authority to fire any or all U.S. attorneys, the administration's only problem is a failure to be "forthcoming"
On the March 15 broadcast of ABC's World News, legal correspondent Jan Crawford Greenburg said, "Of course, the president can fire U.S. attorneys when he chooses" and suggested the only "problem for the White House ... and the Justice Department" is that "the White House hasn't been forthcoming with how this whole plan" to dismiss specific U.S. attorneys "began." But the president's authority to fire U.S. attorneys per se is not in question, and possible misconduct goes beyond simply a failure on the part of the administration to be "forthcoming." For example, regarding the alleged pressure on former New Mexico U.S. attorney David C. Iglesias by Sen. Pete V. Domenici (R-NM) and Rep. Heather Wilson (R-NM) to expedite a corruption investigation of state Democrats, according to the Washington Post, "Legal experts say it violates congressional ethics rules for a senator or House member to communicate with a federal prosecutor regarding an ongoing criminal investigation." Second, Gonzales and McNulty may have given false testimony to Congress in January. According to Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), Department of Justice (DOJ) "officials have testified before Congress that the U.S. Attorneys were asked to resign for performance related reasons, that the White House was minimally involved in the firings and that the Department was in no way attempting to evade the confirmation process for new U.S. Attorneys." CREW alleged that Sampson "knew that he was causing DOJ officials to make inaccurate statements to Congress" when those officials testified before Congress about the attorneys' dismissals, which CREW claims could violate federal prohibitions against lying to Congress.

—J.M.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
I see where Gonzales number two just resigned today. She was the one who resoponded when asked if she would testify that she would answer the summons but would invoke the fifth amendement due to the hostile attitudes being displayed. Now she isn't an employee and may not even answer the summons. I'm still open minded about this but there certainly something Phishy in the Justice Dept. and their lack of a single definitive response tells me it in a state of disaray. We can't afford that kind of organization at that level of our government.

Reactions: gopher

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The most recent revelation that some Whiote House staffers were using personal Email circuits for White House official business reaffirms to me just how much I suspect that was an intentional error and not something to be taken lightly by any American. When it gets dowwn to this type of a covert operation I know the place is run by a bunch of people who have no regard for the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. Maybe they are banking on the merger of the three North American nations soon and that borders, citizenship or policies will not be a problem. I sure hope not for the sake of the citizens of all three nations in this proposal.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The most recent appearance by Attorney general Gonzales and his record of "I don't recall answers; 27 in all) sets a new record for testimony defending his actions and those of his subordinates too. While he appears to be non-plussed by all of this I can't help but think the White House is getting very concerned now that even the republican leadership on the jsutice Committee are calling for Gonzales to resign. The continued support from the admisistration is but another outward sign that they don't yet realize the levels of contempt they have raised in the American citizen. As a matter of fact I sincerely think they don't care about anything but are trying to save the position for the next Presidential election for their party.