Global Warming Bush answer - "ADAPT"

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
GW on GW: :
In the stunning turnaround, Pres. Bush announced that "the United States has sent a climate report to the United Nations detailing specific and far-reaching effects it says global warming will inflict on the American environment."

"In the report, the administration also for the first time places most of the blame for recent global warming on human actions -- mainly the burning of fossil fuels that send heat-trapping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere."

This , compared to outright denials previously by the BushCo boys, is akin to being wrong about global warming/climate change. Not to Bush, known for his abililty to resist these labels such as "wrong", or "lies". [diplomatic Karlin! eh?]

This admission might make supporters, who parrotted the denials so loyaly, a bit squirmy, asking themselves if they should have such "blind loyalty" in the future.

So what, thats okay. We don't need him to admit he was wrong.
What we need is a way to reduce the effects of the buildup of humanitys' greenhouse gases [GGs] [mostly from fossil fuels, btw].

Climate Change, Global Warming [CC, GW] can be devastating, or merely damaging... depending on what we do NOW. Reducing GGs emissions at this point is paramount to reducing the degree of harm.

Quote from the American report sent to the U.N.:
"does not propose any major shift in the administration's policy on greenhouse gases.
"Instead, it recommends adapting to inevitable changes instead of making rapid and drastic reductions in greenhouse gases to limit warming...
"that nothing can be done about the environmental consequences of several decades' worth of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases already in the atmosphere, and calls for voluntary measures that would allow gas emissions to continue to rise, with the goal of slowing the rate of growth.

K - adapting eh?
Voluntary - Isn't that against the bottom line for corporations? They are contracted to get as much for shareholders as possible, so any oil corporation who would spend one red cent on reducing emissions will be in violation of their Prime Directive" of profit making. [yes, I am still reading "The Corporation"].

Adapting... means standing in front of the fan as the shit hits, and just taking it. Thats not the American Way!! or is it?

The report lists some of the dangers and problems with climate change, and a few positive changes too.
Catastrophic events , and Cascade Effects [eg. - vegatation dying and releasing more CO2] were not mentioned.

Are you as excited as I am about adapting?
Karlin

quotes above from this link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2002/06/03/MN215596.DTL

Bush Admits Global Warming Does Exist, Recommends No Action Be Taken at this link:
http://www.drugwar.com/pbushglobalwarming.shtm

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Global Warming Bush a

Bush is an idiot. Here are some things he is going to have to adapt to in the good old USofA:

Desertification in areas that now produce food.
Increased number of tornados
Increased power of tornados
Increased number of hurricanes
Increased power of hurricanes
More frequent and devastating droughts
More frequent and devastating floods.
Crop failures leading to food shortages.
More heatwaves that kill
Florida, where his brother Jeb fixes elections, being flooded by rising sea levels.
Water shortages.
Trade sanctions by countries who feel that US non-paticipation in Kyoto amounts to a defacto subsidy.

Of course George is old, even if he's never matured past the self-centred greed of a two year old, so he'll be dead when the worst of it hits. His children will likely still be alive though, their children will almost certainly still be around. I guess when they are trying to adapt to going hungry they can look back at the Bush Archives and thank Georgie for their plight.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Jo Canadian said:

yep, this is how bush inc plan to "adapt". Who cares about the rest of the nation, world. ??? or future generations.?? Instant gratification has its pitfalls.

"Idiot" does not cut it.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
As opposed to Russia...their just soooo smart.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
with the Antarctic melting at an ever-accelarating rate, many millions of Americans are going to have to learn to tread water. Meanwhile whole nations will disappear under water. Perhaps 'Waterworld' will be seen as a visionary film. Gills anyone.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Re: "ADAPT" by growing GILLs??

Adapt by growing gills, they are likely genetically encoded anyways.

No, thanks anyhow. I am going to refuse to adapt, and instead I will insist on reducing the pace of climate change by reducing fossil fuels emissions.

We need to begin to use more alternatives[see ethyl alcohol post], and less fossil fuels. Plus, what fossil fuels are burned, burn them cleaner:
Instead of lots of small engines burning them poorly, inefficiently, use fossil fuels to create hydrogen, as storage for the energy, and do that in a lrge controlled process where the "exhaust" is captured and re-burned, reused heat, etc.. I mention this ONE alternative way to burn crude and nat gas because the major problem is our inefficient internal combustion engine on gasoline.

I am hoping that we are all pressing for solutions to this "now recognized" problem... and not just bickering and snickering at the situation. Its not hopeless , yet... this is the time, now, to do "whatever we can".

EH?
Karlin

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Perhaps 'Waterworld' will be seen as a visionary film. Gills anyone.

Oh please no...not Waterworld. Having to watch that one more time should be enough to scare anybody into becoming an environmentalist.

We need to begin to use more alternatives[see ethyl alcohol post], and less fossil fuels. Plus, what fossil fuels are burned, burn them cleaner:
Instead of lots of small engines burning them poorly, inefficiently, use fossil fuels to create hydrogen, as storage for the energy, and do that in a lrge controlled process where the "exhaust" is captured and re-burned, reused heat, etc.. I mention this ONE alternative way to burn crude and nat gas because the major problem is our inefficient internal combustion engine on gasoline.

Better yet is to use cleaner methods to produce the hydrogen. Since you need water and electricity to make hydrogen, hydro-electric facilities make the most sense.

These don't have to be huge dams. A series of micro facilities can produce the same product while creating more permanent jobs.

Something you have to remember about oil is that by burning it we are wasting what is basically a miracle material. We make everything from coffee creamer to car parts from it. Burning it is stupid and myopic...like burning a flax crop to keep warm for one night.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Soviet_Guy said:
They are, there education system is better, so is everyone elses, well, even Iceland's education system is better than the States. :lol:

Iceland, is after all, one of the countries with the highest quality of life.

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005
Canada's answer? Do nothing meaningful. To meet any meaningful goals we would have had to start rationing gas 5 years ago. Put all thermostats at 55 F. Reduced food calorie intake to healthy levels. Banned all fast food. Banned all unnecessary wrappers. Banned the use of lights after 10 pm., etc.

We have done nothing and have no stomach to do anything that will 'actually' make a difference. Bush may be an ass (no argument from me) but we're a bunch of hypocrits.

Alternate energy sources are fine and dandy but they aren't happening. We need to 'reduce' the energy and material goods we use today. If we took away half of our 'stuff' and drove a third as much, etc. I bet we'd actually find life more pleasant.

So Bush is an idiot. Is the environment a real issue? If so then acknowledging Bush is an idiot means that we should be doing even more...but we're doing more or less nothing.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Global Warming Bush a

We're at least moving in the right direction now, Stratochief. You don't turn a locomotive around on a dime, after all. Go take the One Tonne challenge though...there are lots of ways on there to reduce your personal consumption.

Saying that it's too late and trying to dump it all on the government is just excuse making. Everybody should take some personal responsibility and put pressure on their governments at the same time.

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
Reverend Blair said:

Hey, thats right on Rev!

quote from site:
"Thanks to ExxonMobil's refusal to pay the $4.5 billion dollars in court-ordered punitive damages to victims of the Exxon Valdez oil spill, thousands of fishing industry workers like me were forced out of the business or in a number of cases had to declare bankruptcy," said Ross Mullins, founder and chairman of the Prince William Sound Fishermen Plaintiffs' Committee "
- end quote

They won't even pay the fines! I noticed that the year after the spill their profits were about double the amount they were fined - profits of over $9billionUS.

Any corporation that causes so much damage to "the general public or nature" should be made to cough up ALL profits for a few years, that would allow them to say "shareholders, our value will decrease if we have another spill, so we have to ensure we dont do that again".

A little know law exists that says any corporation can and should be dissolved [!] if it is acting against the best interests of society in general. It has rarely, if ever, been used on large corporations.

I think Esso is the last holdout , saying that global warming/climate change is not real, and if it is real it is not caused by humans. That sounds like evidence of acting against the public interest.

Bush Admitting global warming must have rankled Esso a bit.