Girl Guides new dirty theme

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/14/ad-guides.html

I might be a Social-Libertarian, tell me what the hell are the girl guides of Canada smoking, because I want some of what they have... Or perhaps and are spiking the cockies!

Anyhow so they've come up with a new dirty ad campaign. Ok I can understand changing with the times and yeah you can't be as hokey as you once were because it just won't fly with todays youths. But... Well let me quote you something from the report.

In one ad, a fictitious popstar named Candi promotes her songs Naughty Girl and Taste Me Again

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:? Sorry Finder; didn't read the ads.

Yah, I suppose it might be a bit racy for little girls to be talking like that. I know if anyone (a man) tried to ENCOURAGE little girls to talk dirty, they'd be in the slammer tout de suite (as they should be).

If that is in fact a genuine recruitment speil, I'd not let my daughter join up. She is almost 40 however, so she'll have to make up her own mind. She doesn't like blue, so probably wouldn't join anyway.

I'll mention this to her, and most likely she will give it some serious thought re: her daughters: when they're old enough for guides.

My wife was a guide back in the days. Always wondered what they got up to. :lol: :lol: Think they mostly did hikes, girl things, pretty innocent stuff then................... :? :? YA THINK :?: 8O 8O

:idea:

neone

Jul 15, 2006
Vancouver
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* the ad is showing the somewhat slutty girl (Candi) as the reason why parents should put their girls in Guides.

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
I guess none of you have been paying much attention. Have you even seen the way young girls dress nowadays? Talk about provocative. The Girl Guides obviously see this and realise if they wish to increase their membership they must take note of this social phenomenon. Girls today dress just as provocatively if not more so than women. The ads adopted by the Girl Guides is to be expected. I would suggest you all walk the streets of your particular city and see how very young girls dress. You would be both shocked and disgusted. The fact parents allow them to dress in such a manner means they must accept some of the blame. Do not belittle the Girl Guides to adopt policies most ever ad agency is these days. It is a matter of survival. Showing the sexuality of little girls seems to be the 'in' thing these days. Here is why the Girl Guides have adopted this policy and they are right to do so:

The Girl Guides of Canada, whose ranks currently include about 108,000 girls and 26,000 adults, have suffered a steady decline in membership over the past 20 years.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Saint Lucifer:

Sorry to admit it (I guess), but no, I don't really pay all that much attention to how "little girls" dress or comport themselves. I don't spend a whole bunch of time where the young kids gather, so, as far as what constitutes a fashion statement or sluttiness, guess I'm pretty far out of it. Glad to be so.

Stopped at red lights in traffic, in the evening, one does hear some pretty nasty talk coming from some pretty young faces, but, I ain't their dad, or they wouldn't be on the steets...........I did my part, hell with it.

Feeling g'dam older and friggin ugglier every g'dam day :lol:

SaintLucifer

Electoral Member
Jul 10, 2006
oldnugly said:
Saint Lucifer:

Sorry to admit it (I guess), but no, I don't really pay all that much attention to how "little girls" dress or comport themselves. I don't spend a whole bunch of time where the young kids gather, so, as far as what constitutes a fashion statement or sluttiness, guess I'm pretty far out of it. Glad to be so.

Stopped at red lights in traffic, in the evening, one does hear some pretty nasty talk coming from some pretty young faces, but, I ain't their dad, or they wouldn't be on the steets...........I did my part, hell with it.

Feeling g'dam older and friggin ugglier every g'dam day :lol:

Precisely my point. You do not care. Neither do the parents of these little girls.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Yeah and what the girl guides should endorse this culture now and make it even more the social norm. Yeah we are sending mixed signals to young girls. First we legislate morality to up the age of consent from 14 to 16 years of age, but then a social orginization which I would say legitimizes certain norms in society is now endorsing the opposite in pre-teens of a sexy, saultry and lewd behavior which yes parents should be the ones to deal with not the government. But with orginizations such as Girl Guides saying it's now the acceptable norm, what can you do as parents and even the government?

Yeah any orginization should update to the times, but I think sometimes moving at slow progressive steps is better then just jumping into the latest trend head first.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Precisely my point. You do not care. Neither do the parents of these little girls.[/quote]

Ok, I'll try again:

When I had kids who were growing up I CARED just a whole friggin bunch. We knew where ours kids were and what time they WOULD be home (they had no choice here unless they phoned and we ok'd it with other parents).

We attended school functions, took an active part in school stuff, helped with homework, worried about exams along with the kids, took them camping, karate classes with us, tried to give them enough street smarts and general knowledge so they wouldn't be completely euchered when they left home. Told them about "bad" people, how to develop a 6th sense, to be aware of their surroundings. All the stuff "good parents" are supposed to do, we did, in spades.

At the same time we didn't accept back talk or bullshit. Sometimes we believe we were a bit too strict.....but: We were open and honest about everything we did and knew about. Make sense??

As a result, (maybe), our kids grew up with a sense of responsibilty, a sense of loving and being loved, a sense of protectiveness and of being protected. They all have decent jobs and great families, and they know they can come home if they need to.

So, my point was, we did our jobs as parents and loved every minute of it. I can't control the fact that maybe other parents don't, and resent the fact that my tax dollars pay for the results of poor child rearing. But that's life.

I resent the fact that certain parents let their kids run wild in the streets and impose no dicipline until the kids are older, causing them to go live on the streets. How they dress, how they speak, what they do: Nope. Sorry. Can't help. Don't care.

Make out of that what you will.

Ugg. :idea:

Alluraion

Jul 16, 2006
Oldnugly,

I totally agree with what you're saying. Unless, as parents, we take it upon ourselves to raise our children right, there is nothing we can do. That becomes the problem of those parents, and their lack of parenting.

But I do hate the fact that the Girl Guides are condoning the actions of these girls. Girl Guides is supposed to be an organization based on respect, and I think it is horrible that they feel they have to resort to making themselves look bad, just to get members.

I believe that Girl Guides will, in the long run, lose even more members, because there are alot of responsible parents out there.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oldnugly,

Great post. It pretty well mirrors our own experience with our children, who used to whine and complain that we were the strictest parents in the whole town but in retrospect, our children have turned out well and we are very proud of them.

I see nothing seriously wrong with the Girl Guides adds that are promoting the activities of their own organization, over the influence of people like "Candi".

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
I don't have a problems with pieces of what the GG have updated, but all and all I think they are going diving into the pool head first in the shallow end with this update of image.