First Nations paying tax payers bills for services

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Chiefs across Ontario put province on notice, they will defend jurisdiction over resources on their lands
By Lynda Powless
Editor

TORONTO, ONT-Ontario will have to head back to the drawing board if it expects to come to a resources deal with First Nations leaders across Ontario before the fall election.

The Chiefs of Ontario held a special meeting here last week to discuss a controversial one pot resource and revenue sharing scheme proposed by Ontario. That proposal that would see First Nations sharing a single resource revenue pot of $30 million a year for five years, split among all 134 communities in the province. That amounts to about $278,000 a year per community. Ontario, in comparison, pulls over $90 billion a year in resource revenue from the province. While the Chiefs of Ontario, in assembly last week, said they would rather continue discussions, they made it clear they are prepared to defend their jurisdiction, with “direction action” campaigns. That means Ontario could see protests at a variety of spots as it tries to take resources from traditional First Nations lands. “Resource benefit sharing is an issue that the general public must be engaged in. They need to fully understand the reasonable, economically sensible and justified stance that First Nations are putting forward only to be presented with ultimatums and politically motivated deadlines” says Six Nations Elected Chief Bill Montour in a press release. “Our generosity and willingness to share our resources has made Canada one of the richest countries in the world. It’s time for us to implement our Treaty rights and assert our jurisdiction over our lands and resources. The hope and future of our younger generation is relying on us, we must take government and industry to task in order to protect what is rightfully ours” said Union of Ontario Indians Grand Council Chief Patrick Madahbee, in a press release Angus Toulouse, Regional Chief of Ontario said the First Nations leaders are putting the Ontario governments on notice “that they will be exercising their jurisdiction over the resources on their lands and vigorously defending this jurisdiction by direct action if required”.

Turtle Island News - North America's #1 Native Weekly Newspaper

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That should make all Premiers a little nervous if it sets a precedent. If only the BC chiefs were that organized. The government here has done a fine job of divide and conquer here every band for itself. We even have Kootenai and West Bank Okanagans claiming Sinixt territory because of their extinct status and only the Shuswap seem to be supporting the Sinixt in their bid to be reinstated.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Land claims settlements would solve these problems
Not really. Although it would be nice. Resources like water, especially something like the Grand, move. One of the biggest issues is, water resources, and I use this, simply because it's the least complicated to explain. It certainly isn't the only important or pressing issue.

As more and more water is diverted to growing communities, it places greater and greater pressures on communities that do not enjoy the same level of consideration at the planning stages.

Then you have development and aggregate consumption. These change drainage patterns, destroy aquifers.

If the province wants to permit greater development through urban sprawl, then systems have to replaced or strengthened to ensure present communities still have access to such things as water.

That should make all Premiers a little nervous if it sets a precedent. If only the BC chiefs were that organized. The government here has done a fine job of divide and conquer here every band for itself. We even have Kootenai and West Bank Okanagans claiming Sinixt territory because of their extinct status and only the Shuswap seem to be supporting the Sinixt in their bid to be reinstated.
Yes, this is so true, the divide and conquer tactic works well.

A united voice is a strong voice. But it must remain reasonable. I have oft seen a united voice, turn rowdy and unreasonable in its claims, simply because of a mob mentality.

A clear vision and goal, needs to be established and adhered to.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yes, this is so true, the divide and conquer tactic works well.

A united voice is a strong voice. But it must remain reasonable. I have oft seen a united voice, turn rowdy and unreasonable in its claims, simply because of a mob mentality.

A clear vision and goal, needs to be established and adhered to.
Unfortunately I am but a bystander. I will be attending the International Indigenous Leadership conference in Lillooet at the end of May. I will talk with some of the leaders I know to try and get a better feel as to what is going on. If you could make it out, you would probably really enjoy it. Last year there were reps from Peru, New Zealand, Tibet, Mongolia, Ecuador, Africa, Alaska and all over Canada and the US.
International Indigenous Leadership Gathering draws 1,000 | rabble.ca

International Indigenous Leadership Gathering's Blog - Protecting the sacred

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfortunately I am but a bystander. I will be attending the International Indigenous Leadership conference in Lillooet at the end of May. I will talk with some of the leaders I know to try and get a better feel as to what is going on. If you could make it out, you would probably really enjoy it. Last year there were reps from Peru, New Zealand, Tibet, Mongolia, Ecuador, Africa, Alaska and all over Canada and the US.
International Indigenous Leadership Gathering draws 1,000 | rabble.ca

International Indigenous Leadership Gathering's Blog - Protecting the sacred
I would love to travel as I did when I was younger. But the economy has me running in circles. Contrary to what is oft claimed about me, by some, I actually work for my living.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
$30 Million over 5 years is more than reasonable. It's really nothing for us to be quibbling over.
I'm kind of on the fence here. On one hand it is a reasonable number, if your perspective is from where you and I are sitting (I'm guessing you aren't a millionaire). But...

We're talking about over 100 communities. Of which I admit, many aren't even affected by the use/sale of the resources in question, but have a stake in the deal by virtue of unified association.

The province is set to rake in approx $90 billion/year which comes out to 450,000,000,000, over 5 years, compared $30,000,000 or 6.6% over five years, seems to be a little low if you ask me.

The issue also doesn't address non First Nations communities that are affected by the use/sale of these resources.

These are all issues I'd like to see addressed, before I take a stand on the issue.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
These are all issues I'd like to see addressed, before I take a stand on the issue.

Oh yea, sorry, that's more of what I mean. I think if anything, this is a very low number that the average taxpayer should have no qualms about producing. Especially over 5 years, even if we were providing $60 Million, it would still be petty change for us.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh yea, sorry, that's more of what I mean. I think if anything, this is a very low number that the average taxpayer should have no qualms about producing. Especially over 5 years, even if we were providing $60 Million, it would still be petty change for us.
But it really is being paid by the "taxpayer". It would come from the 'profits' the province is set to make, on deals involving the use of resources ranging from aggregates to timber.