First Nations in Canada touted as land-management leaders

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Better yet, give the land directly to the individuals and end the system that way.

That will put an immediate end to the graft, corruption and misuse of the land

I used to believe that and also strongly advocated property rights for reserve members as it is the best form of intergenerational wealth transfer going and is at the heart of what makes countries like Canada so much economically better off than countries like Peru.

Having said that, the very basis of being part of a collective is at the heart of most aboriginal societies and imposing one more western value such as individualism will likely lead to more failure.

At the end of the day the option of choices is what is needed most while ndns find themselves and their place and transition over the next several hundred years.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Better yet, give the land directly to the individuals and end the system that way.

That will put an immediate end to the graft, corruption and misuse of the land

That won't happen as long as those in charge are getting rich off the current system. More to the OP, it's pretty easy to turn your back on resource development when you have other revenue streams

Having said that, the very basis of being part of a collective is at the heart of most aboriginal societies and imposing one more western value such as individualism will likely lead to more failure.

I know aboriginals that are every bit as individualistic as I am. If it's wrong to impose our values on them, is it also wrong for them them to impose their values on each other as well?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The various FN communities have already adopted select Western practices/values. Those in power have the unique ability to pick and choose, however, it comes at the direct expense of many of the folks in their community.

The system is presently broken and there are many that are paying a very steep price for the comfort and enrichment of the few in leadership positions

At the end of the day the option of choices is what is needed most while ndns find themselves and their place and transition over the next several hundred years.

The best option, in my opinion is to deliver an asset to the individual(s) and families. You can't dictate what they do with it, but it is easier to educate people on the options that exist as a result

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The best option, in my opinion is to deliver an asset to the individual(s) and families. You can't dictate what they do with it, but it is easier to educate people on the options that exist as a result
Good idea. By the time they're done suing each other and the government over the distribution, guess who'll have all the money?

I'm gonna have to start buying my Mercedeses by the six-pack.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh, I know!

Put a 10 million year moratorium on selling the land to anyone other than direct family.

Problem solved
Good idea. Tell them what they can and cannot do with "their" land.

Don't forget to kidna. . . um. . . educate their kids in residential schools so they can be almost as good as real people.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
The various FN communities have already adopted select Western practices/values. Those in power have the unique ability to pick and choose, however, it comes at the direct expense of many of the folks in their community.

The system is presently broken and there are many that are paying a very steep price for the comfort and enrichment of the few in leadership positions

We are probably pretty close on opinion here except that I don't believe it is a good idea to transfer wealth or property to some members of a community that have no idea how handle or manage it having not been raised in that type of culture.

For sure there are many ndns that owning property would be a fantastic foundation to build solid wealth, security and stable families from but many others would be worse off as they squandered it. I have tremendous respect for FNs people but I am not so starry eyed that I don't recognise that a solid majority are incapable at this point in responsibly and effectively managing their own assets and that would have to be addressed.

Oh, I know!

Put a 10 million year moratorium on selling the land to anyone other than direct family.

Problem solved

Then you'd have 10 years of unscrupulous family members acquiring extra cheap property.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We are probably pretty close on opinion here except that I don't believe it is a good idea to transfer wealth or property to some members of a community that have no idea how handle or manage it having not been raised in that type of culture.

For sure there are many ndns that owning property would be a fantastic foundation to build solid wealth, security and stable families from but many others would be worse off as they squandered it. I have tremendous respect for FNs people but I am not so starry eyed that I don't recognise that a solid majority are incapable at this point in responsibly and effectively managing their own assets and that would have to be addressed.

Then you'd have 10 years of unscrupulous family members acquiring extra cheap property.
I sometimes wonder why nobody ever suggests depriving pink Canadians (or Americans) of their property rights based on the ample evidence that many of them can't handle them well.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
I sometimes wonder why nobody ever suggests depriving pink Canadians (or Americans) of their property rights based on the ample evidence that many of them can't handle them well.

Tell that to Frannie Mae and Freddie Mac but overall because you're dealing with fractions from one group and whole numbers from another is the first point. Secondly, whether the lifestyle is good or bad and irrespective of fault, it is the pink and newly immigrated yellow and brown folks largely paying the tab.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Tell that to Frannie Mae and Freddie Mac but overall because you're dealing with fractions from one group and whole numbers from another is the first point. Secondly, whether the lifestyle is good or bad and irrespective of fault, it is the pink and newly immigrated yellow and brown folks largely paying the tab.
OK, thanks. That clarified your position nicely.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You can't hand hold people til they get it "right"

Lessons are learned through trial and error.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Good idea. Tell them what they can and cannot do with "their" land.

Don't want no one 'stealing' their land, dontcha know... I thought that this would be a proper compromise to quell your overt concerns in the theft area

Don't forget to kidna. . . um. . . educate their kids in residential schools so they can be almost as good as real people.

We tried it once... Didn't work out so well.

... But if you think it's worth a shot, then who am I to argue?